2018 Santa Cruz Hightower vs. Specialized 2019 CompAlloy Stumpjumper

Drew555

In the market for a good all round trail bike. My 2 top choices are the santa cruz hightower and the new stumpjumper comp alloy. the stumpjumper is around $3k while the hightower is $1k more. Anyone have any suggestions on which one they prefer? 

I was in a similar dilemma last year..."boutique" vs traditional. It was impossible to get a good weekend long test run on the boutique bikes. The test ridden, non boutique, bike was the winner.

If I had your dilemma, I would definitely choose the Hightower. If it was the Hightower vs the '19 Stumpy Comp Carbon, then I would I would be in a bit of a pickle.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Who is the agent for SC these day?  How good is their support/backup? 

You may want to answer these questions to try get some confidence that any warranty or similar issues can be sorted in a reasonable time.  It certainly affects my buying choices after some VERY painful lessons

I was in a similar dilemma last year..."boutique" vs traditional. It was impossible to get a good weekend long test run on the boutique bikes. The test ridden, non boutique, bike was the winner.

Boutique = SC?

2 weeks ago I went to my local SC dealer who also sells Specz, he had epics to test ride but no SC Blurs

He did say a Blur could be arranged for a one day test from the importer if they had stock.

They charge CHF 90 per day for test bikes

Edit: sorry op I know the above does not help your decision making process much

Edited by SwissVan

Although Specialized always gets the brunt for being overpriced or not value for money, it is Santa cruz that is overpriced.

If you can live with only a small water bottle, I'd give YT Jeffsy a shot. You'll get more bang for your buck. Lower end bikes skimp on the important parts (suspension and wheels) in favour of a [higher spec] rear derailleur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call Santa Cruz a boutique bike brand any more. Look at their range and volume of bike they have produced. They are pretty main stream by now.

Its a bit like calling Darling Brew or CBC craft beer...

That said - The choice between those 2 bikes. What a dilemma to have !

Looking thier pricing (Hightower R vs current Stumpy Comp Alloy) - there is a R30 000 difference, which is a lot more than $1000

I wouldn't call Santa Cruz a boutique bike brand any more. Look at their range and volume of bike they have produced. They are pretty main stream by now.

Its a bit like calling Darling Brew or CBC craft beer...

That said - The choice between those 2 bikes. What a dilemma to have !

Looking thier pricing (Hightower R vs current Stumpy Comp Alloy) - there is a R30 000 difference, which is a lot more than $1000

In the SA context Santa Cruz is Boutique and doesn't compare to Trek, Spez, Scott etc. in terms of variety and post sale support.

I wouldn't call Santa Cruz a boutique bike brand any more.

Funny I thought Keith was calling Specz "Boutique“

My mistake

Edited by SwissVan

• 1 month later...

I would go with SC lifetime warranty on pivots as long as it has all its services. SC is just something else to ride once you've been out on 1 it will be the benchmark to which you will compare every other bike. I haven't owned the longer travel SC bikes only 2x tallboy 2x highball 1x Blur. And if you wonder why I have owned some of the bikes twice it's simple I sold them looking for something different /better couldn't find anything better so just bought again with different build kit.