Wattbike vs. Smart Trainer - comparing apples with avos?

mecheng89

Good morning Hubland,

This is a very particular query I have, but humour me. 

I started training with power in approx January 2017 in preparation for the then LeTape Tour. I continued training with power using a Wattbike in my (then) local VA. The crowded atmosphere in the VA detracted me so I decided to go the smart trainer route. 

Having now used the smart trainer for some weeks I can categorically say that the Wattbike and (this particular) smart trainer are not the same. The most simple away to distinguish between the two is my RPE. Put even simpler - it feels easier to do a certain wattage on my smart trainer than it did on the Wattbike. My HR is an indication of that too. I am aware HR has a lot of variables including temperature, how well you slept, how well you ate, how hydrated you remain etc. etc. I only used the "fan" setting on the Wattbike, only the magnet on the rare occasion when I had to go 350W+ for LOW cadence.

Is it at all fair to compare the two? Should I just discount all my training I did on the Wattbike (in excess of 2500km)? Am I actually doing myself a disservice by using a smart trainer? 

Just to answer some questions I know will appear - 

I never (re)calibrated the Wattbike for each session (no clue how that was even done)

I hardly ever used the exact same Wattbike due to space issues at the VA

I always calibrate before my ride on my IDT

I use the same bike each time (on the IDT) with about 7 bar pressure

I calibrate using the Tacx Utility App and TrainerRoad

Thanks for reading!

Your HR was probably higher in the gym cause you focused on all the Lady Pros around you :-)

Think it comes down to calibration and maintenance so, I'd much rather trust a IDT that's only used by yourself as opposed to the wattbikes that takes a hammering by all shapes and sizes and probably never gets calibrated or properly maintained, but that's just me.

Wattbikes at Virgin give me very varied power readings, but if callibrated propperly they are very accurate.

It is like comparing apples and avos though. Both have their pros and cons. The biggest pro of a wattbike is it's robustness and that I know I am not grinding one gear down on my bike (if it were on an idt), or causing stress to the frame and dropouts.

Biggest pro for me of an idt is that I am training on the bike I am riding and setup is obviously the same.

A wattbike would be a no-brainer for me if I had the cash, but an IDT will remain my reality for that very reason.

From my experience the WattBike's at VA are a bit of a hit and miss.

Some seem ok and others are just stuffed.

Some seem way too happy with the readings they give while others are stingy.

Pretty sure nobody calibrates them ever at the gym.

Have a mate that busy at a proper Watt Bike studio and he says that the bikes at the studio are completely different  to any WattBike he's used at a VA. A big different when the bikes get maintained properly.

As for the training that you've done (the 2500km) it's done and in the legs and nobody can take that away from you.

If I was you, I'd just do a new FTP test on the Smart trainer redo your zones and off you go.

Is it at all fair to compare the two? Should I just discount all my training I did on the Wattbike (in excess of 2500km)? Am I actually doing myself a disservice by using a smart trainer? 

Why would you be doing yourself a disservice? and why would you want to discount all the training you did?

I think you need to reset and start afresh. Do an assessment so you can determine your baseline according to the equipment you have now and work from there.

So possibly your power number may be a bit higher now than on the wattbike but just use that as your new baseline. Do an FTP test so you can reset your training program and levels accordingly.

Besides you should be doing an FTP test every now and then to check your progress.

Edited by s14phoenix

Have a mate that busy at a proper Watt Bike studio and he says that the bikes at the studio are completely different  to any WattBike he's used at a VA. A big different when the bikes get maintained properly.

As for the training that you've done (the 2500km) it's done and in the legs and nobody can take that away from you.

If I was you, I'd just do a new FTP test on the Smart trainer redo your zones and off you go.

This

Ignore any power readings you might remember from the Wattbike and recalibrate your expectations on the current IDT setup.

It is a tool to ensure you are training at the correct levels. Even if the Wattbike was the correct readings, you are now training with this tool and need to calibrate your training according to this tool.

Whether or not you are really putting out 300W is not important. How hard you are pushing your body to make continued advancements is what you want to monitor, you want a repeatable reading, even if it repeatedly off by the same amount. Hope that makes sense.

I just bought myself a Kickr Snap, and I can say that my FTP is way higher on the Wattbike. There is a difference of about 30 watts, which is not a small margin at all. The Wattbikes at my Planet Fitness were maintained really well. I would get an odd reading every now and then, but for the most part, they are very accurate. I prefer to have the flexibility to train at home, and with winter approaching, I wanted an IDT for my longer rides if I chose. 

Completed. That's the one thing I knew I had to do when I changed machines. 

Why would you be doing yourself a disservice? and why would you want to discount all the training you did?

I think you need to reset and start afresh. Do an assessment so you can determine your baseline according to the equipment you have now and work from there.

So possibly your power number may be a bit higher now than on the wattbike but just use that as your new baseline. Do an FTP test so you can reset your training program and levels accordingly.

Besides you should be doing an FTP test every now and then to check your progress.

What I mean here is perhaps going back to the Wattbike is worth it because its readings may be more "true". 

I just bought myself a Kickr Snap, and I can say that my FTP is way higher on the Wattbike. There is a difference of about 30 watts, which is not a small margin at all. The Wattbikes at my Planet Fitness were maintained really well. I would get an odd reading every now and then, but for the most part, they are very accurate. I prefer to have the flexibility to train at home, and with winter approaching, I wanted an IDT for my longer rides if I chose. 

Ditto. 

Think I know who you might be speaking of. I presume he looks after his machines. 

What I mean here is perhaps going back to the Wattbike is worth it because its readings may be more "true". 

What if the readings are more false ?

I'd say the Smart Trainer is more accurate than a WattBike at VA.

I'm sure there are some WattBike's at VA that are reading properly but some - eish

Sounds like you missing the inspiration that's walking around at VA ???

Think I know who you might be speaking of. I presume he looks after his machines. 

Ja he's pedantic about his bikes

If in doubt, contact him and go do a session there and you'll know.

i did a 20 min FTP test on wattbike in VA Tygervalley and a week later the same test at Cadence Cycling.There is a 57 watt difference.wattbike figures put me at untrained.

Edited by reteid