Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could even negotiate a grand or two off the 21K I'm sure.....

The difference is though: The spez has COMPLETED AN EPIC BRAAAAAAA ;)

you are forgetting the most important part it's a Sworks given the new one is like 180k this is a bargain to some Spaz rider ????

This thread is the best thing going on the hub, while the Mask SJW thread is everything that is wrong with the hub.

Gonna post a add later, really hope to get a mention here, bike will be a non epic finisher.

At this stage it feels like it’s getting harder to buy on the Hub. Sellers not replying to messages or we agree on a price, and then I ask for some more information, and then no reply.

As a 3 month old member on this forum and mostly a buyer, not a seller, maybe there should be a poll created for/ by buyers.This is based on my experience the last 3 months.Others may differ from my opinion. ( note that lockdown has nothing to do with this) 1- I find it easy/difficult to buy on the classifieds due to incomplete adverts. 2-I find it easy/difficult to buy due to sellers incomplete adverts. 3- I find it easy/difficult to buy due to sellers reluctance to respond timeously. 4- I find it difficult to buy anything due to over inflated prices on used parts / bikes.

Edited by RomP

The difference is: no till slip, no warranty, no aftersales should there be an issue. Yes it is UNUSED, but not new. It is technically secondhand...and therefor not worth the same price as the new one that offers those securities that after sales support does imo.

R2.5k max...probably more like R2k....since its 11spd and all

Agreed...I see a lot of things advertised for just a few Rands less than a new part/bike whatever...

If there isn't a considerable saving (or a scarcity issue) then for me I would rather pay a little more and get something new, with a warranty and generally with no payment/seller/shipment issues....

Edited by Mojoman

There is still hope for the classifieds here...Facebook is always good for a laugh

Haha...Is it new?!

but it comes with crossmark UST's, a bell and barends, so stop moaning and go buy the bike before someone else does!

but it comes with crossmark UST's, a bell and barends, so stop moaning and go buy the bike before someone else does!

whats going on at the seatpost though...is that a shim all the way up there?

whoever buys this glorious machine should just check for some frame cracks there before they do the 2021 epic.

Edited by morneS555

• 2 weeks later...

I would like some opinion as to whether my feelings/reactions are either to be expected, or if I may be overreacting.

Story: contacted a hubber on here as he was selling his bike. Bike was a bit out my price range, so I chatted with him over a few days about that, but he wasn't budging much (absolutely fine in my books, his right to do so). I say to him I will let him know the next day (wanted to see if I could move some money around to make the sale). I contact him the next day as I said to him, saying I've got the money and would like to take the bike from him. He reads the message, no reply. Follow up message the next day after that, same thing, reads the message, no reply. Ad has subsequently been removed from the classifieds here.

I feel extremely irritated, and I feel like I should rate him on his profile based on the experience here. However, I don't want to do so willy nilly. Your thoughts? 

I would like some opinion as to whether my feelings/reactions are either to be expected, or if I may be overreacting.

Story: contacted a hubber on here as he was selling his bike. Bike was a bit out my price range, so I chatted with him over a few days about that, but he wasn't budging much (absolutely fine in my books, his right to do so). I say to him I will let him know the next day (wanted to see if I could move some money around to make the sale). I contact him the next day as I said to him, saying I've got the money and would like to take the bike from him. He reads the message, no reply. Follow up message the next day after that, same thing, reads the message, no reply. Ad has subsequently been removed from the classifieds here.

I feel extremely irritated, and I feel like I should rate him on his profile based on the experience here. However, I don't want to do so willy nilly. Your thoughts? 

AFAIK a trans action has to take place before you can review someone , i might be wrong 

He most probably sold the bike to me someone with cash-in-hand, or had 2nd thoughts. Probably didn't feel like telling you for some reason.

Id be hard pressed to give him a bad rating for that. That is not what the ratings are for IMHO.

If you guys had closed the deal, then different story. But seems like you just missed out. Sorry bud.

Appreciate the feedback. No rating will be given

Guess I was just a bit upset/angry. Went from negotiating/talking to no sale and ghosting within 3 days. And my offer was what he willing to accept (R500 less than asking price of the bike) 

My opinion, he sold the bike, no obligation to respond and more so since he removed the ad.

I understand your feelings but it would be more of a courtesy for him to give feedback, rather than a necessity. You have more cash now, so a bigger pool of bikes to choose from.