Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

I think new bikes have become more affordable. i would personally rather spend my money on a new bike with mid range components than a 2015 model high end bike.plus, i get a warranty.

If you have the money to waste, good for you.  The only way I would buy new is a frame on special and build the bike myself.  Otherwise if you buy wisely, you can buy a 10x better used bike (or spares for that matter) than buying new.

Also new parts only on special or used.  Even if I have the money, simply cant justify spending more than double as what is realistically possible.

I didn't sell much so far but I managed to sell a few items quickly since I asked for decent realistic price.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think if we start rating sellers for their demeanor and every small nuance you are opening everyone up to a world of judgement. 

If I call you while you're driving/changing the baby/eating dinner with your new floss/having a bad day etc and you are short/rude to me (perceived), then if I rate you as rude and uncouth, wouldn't recommend' despite no deal/goods changing hands, is that fair?

If you were rude to me when I called back the next day and again when I asked for the tracking number etc then yes. But if no sale is made and there is no deal, it starts muddying the waters hugely.

I would hesitate to use the platform as it opens me up to judgement from the masses despite never having even sold them anything.

my 2c worth. Ive dealt with a number of sellers the last 4 months and have found most way t laid back and easy come easy go attitude. Slow to respond to enquiries. Then also the rude ones as mentioned before. IMO its simple...if you place an advert on a public forum and you want to sell your stuff...don't be a D#$%. You are the one wanting to sell your stuff and the buyer is certainly not doing you a favour by enquiring or calling you...you are the seller, you want the money, you jump through the hoops for the buyer. That how it works in the real world. And I will give a crappy rating, even if no deal was done.

Edited by RomP

I must say, I have just had a pleasant experience with the selling of my bike, had a few enquiries, some no responses after initial enquiry, then bosh, a guy got in touch this morning and the deal was done this evening. 

I hope he has many happy pleasant miles and endless trails on hios new bike.

Cool... Then the site will be ruined by a bunch of butthurt Karens.

Rad

I've been on the forums long enough to know that some of the rants and whinges people go on about wouldn't even make me blink twice, so if it's a free for all rating system being dished out when no transactions have taken place expect a whole boat load of butthurtedness.

1 star rating for you for not responding or not responding properly as the seller... the same rater is getting a 1 star for being pushy while bla bla is busy at work etc...

It will become a mud slinging match of pettiness that will just degrade the site even more than the general Corona virus discussion thread.

I wish you all luck 

Cool... Then the site will be ruined by a bunch of butthurt Karens.

Rad

I've been on the forums long enough to know that some of the rants and whinges people go on about wouldn't even make me blink twice, so if it's a free for all rating system being dished out when no transactions have taken place expect a whole boat load of butthurtedness.

1 star rating for you for not responding or not responding properly as the seller... the same rater is getting a 1 star for being pushy while bla bla is busy at work etc...

It will become a mud slinging match of pettiness that will just degrade the site even more than the general Corona virus discussion thread.

I wish you all luck

Too much sense in that post for most to deal with. Chapeau.

This post is not aimed at anyone .... there's been a few posts since I wanted to add this.

I few years ago I messed up a deal by "bargaining" over the price more than I should have .... a property that won't come around again.  :mellow: . 

Not long after that I saw this quote:

"If you don't get what you want, it's a sign either that you did not seriously want it, or that you tried to bargain over the price. Rudyard Kipling. "

I've had dealings with some here where an item becomes available, but when I call the price had gone up. Obviously the seller had a few inquiries and realized he could get more.

I then think of Kipling's quote, ... whether my principals override the "want", and if the price is still good. It's not a "feel-good" sale after that ... but we both get what we wanted.

Generally I won't rate the seller then .... I just let it go  :mellow: 

Edited by EddieV

^ yea thats BS. If the price goes up from the listed price I walk away immediately. Thats basically cat-fishing 101. That seller gets an immediate bad rating imo. Everybody can underprice an item to lure people in and then say...wow listen guys...so much interest...the price is going up.

^ yea thats BS. If the price goes up from the listed price I walk away immediately. Thats basically cat-fishing 101. That seller gets an immediate bad rating imo. Everybody can underprice an item to lure people in and then say...wow listen guys...so much interest...the price is going up.

Yes, it does not sit "lekker"

But I'm afraid it happens a lot more than you think .. I generally have specific items I want, I thus get an instant alert when an item becomes available. First thing I do is take a screen shot of the item and the description.

Whether the seller maybe changes the price regardless of interest, maybe correcting, or trying a higher price first, or whether from interest ... it happens more than you would imagine.

Since comments aren't available anymore it might now be more prevalent .... a quick check will be to ask "Bikehub admin" to run a database query against classifieds' history where the price increased after the initial post?

But I'm afraid it happens a lot more than you think .. I generally have specific items I want, I thus get an instant alert when an item becomes available. First thing I do is take a screen shot of the item and the description.

Whether the seller maybe changes the price regardless of interest, maybe correcting, or trying a higher price first, or whether from interest ... it happens more than you would imagine.

Since comments aren't available anymore it might now be more prevalent .... a quick check will be to ask "Bikehub admin" to run a database query against classifieds' history where the price increased after the initial post?

I think it's part of the 'free market' in any informal classifieds. 

It's a *** move for sure and when I see that going on a make a mental note not to deal with that hubber in the future.

It's akin but not the same as the bargain turn overs... Where Blobfish sells his wheels at a bargain to Blingdawg, then the next day Blingdawg has the same wheels, same pitchas and same description up at a not so bargain price.

I know I know, free market bla bla, but there is zero value added in the turn around. I mental note those users too. 

Whether my reaction is rational or not it's mine and it's kind of my default setting. I can see that the user is being 'smart', but it just goes against my grain.

Whether it happen often or not, it does NOT make it right.  Do your homework and get the price realistic in the first place then there is no need to change it as an after thought.

If the price change, I walk away.

Just my humble opinion ...

There's a certain purple dj bike that was listed a few times already - and coincidentally it didn't get cheaper with the new listings.

I'm a big believer in the free market principle.

If you like it an want it and the price is right - you'll buy it.

If none of those criteria are met then you won't buy it.

What the classifieds doesn't need is emotion. All this oh he took too long to respond, oh he changed the price, oh he has been online and read my message and not responded, oh he changed the tyres and price drama is unnecessary. This isn't Days of our Lives.

You want it buy it. You don't want it don't buy it.

Edited by Eldron

What the classifieds doesn't need is emotion. All this oh he took too long to respond, oh he changed the price, oh he has been online and read my message and not responded, oh he changed the tyres and price drama is unnecessary. This isn't Days of our Lives.

I agree 100%.

Thats different to wanting to buy it....And then the price goes up just because someone else also wants to buy it. Its a classified/for sale advert...not an auction. This is not ebay.(there is no way of knowing if there are actual other bids/interest other than the sellers word)

If the seller wants to auction the part then he should state as much....then everybody can start off way under his asking price, bid each other up and the guy who wants it the most will get it. whatever the list it on here for is NOT reserve price imo.

Theres bid or buy for that. They should take there crap there then imo

Edited by morneS555

There's a certain purple dj bike that was listed a few times already - and coincidentally it didn't get cheaper with the new listings.

Seen ads go up, expire after a month and then get relisted. Same price and through multiple cycles.

Insanity, you would think they would realize there might be a pricing issue.

I tried selling my frame, relisted it maybe 2 or 3 times, each time dropping the price till it got to a point where it was not worth selling anymore.