Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

Last month I tested the selling side ....

Now I am on the receiving end .... looking to buy bike.  For now I am looking locally, want to inspect before I commit to the purchase.

The filters on the Hub seems to work very well, price, size, etc.

Private adds are in two distinct different groups !  Some have a series of good pictures, nice description, and the relevant technical specs.  What a pleasure to work through these adds.  :thumbup:   Then there are the other private adds ... some just have a short description, and no technical specs.  All to often one has to google the description, until you find the model, then check the specs online.

Then you get people wanting to sell a bike, but the pics are taken while the bike hangs on bracket against the wall ... simply not enough detail to know what you are looking at....

And then  .... WOW.  The number of shops selling via the Hub surprised me.  All too often their lack of quality of photos, and very poor descriptions is sad.....

Have to wonder how fast items would sell IF:

- the item was CLEAN

- decent photos

- nice relevant description (not just some copy-paste from a marketing site)

- Accurate technical specs (especially where items have been upgraded or changed)

- reasonable price .... often I dont even get to the point of seriously considering the price, purely before there is not enough information and photos to make an informed decision.

NONE of this is a reflection on the Bike Hub.  The platform certainly seems to function fine.  The quality of the add is up to the seller .... 

The ONLY comment I have about the Bike Hub Buy-Sell platform - It is very easy to miss notifications for those who spend more time on the forum side, as you only see the notification when you go back to the other side ....

ChrisF, out of interest have you found shops listed as private sales?

I remember, some time ago, that I found a few of these and it was frustrating.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ChrisF, out of interest have you found shops listed as private sales?

I remember, some time ago, that I found a few of these and it was frustrating.

Jip.  Saw a good few shops selling on the Hub, not shown as "Dealers".

Also a good number of shops that trade as "Dealers" on the Hub.  Nice to see these shops supporting the Hub by selling as Traders:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/453564/giant-tcx-slr-2

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/462940/specialized-diverge-carbon-expert

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/460346/norco-search-carbon

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/3242/titan-racing-rogue-l

They have a LOT of adds up currently

Have good well lit pics, all the specs incl links to the item on a website if possible, ask realistic price and it's a no brainer, it will sell.

Also selling is a waiting game unless you know the item is in high demand, finding the buyer that wants the exact item you are selling in that colour and size is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack.

But what's the rush, put the ad up and leave it, if you've followed the aforementioned the buyers will come, all in good time.

Drop the price slightly over time if needs be but if it was reasonable initially then not too much because the tit that eventually buys it will probably make an offer or pull the what's your best price bs and you need some space to feed the buyers "I got a bargain" twinge. Not all buyers do that but you have to plan for it!

Have good well lit pics, all the specs incl links to the item on a website if possible, ask realistic price and it's a no brainer, it will sell.

Also selling is a waiting game unless you know the item is in high demand, finding the buyer that wants the exact item you are selling in that colour and size is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack.

But what's the rush, put the ad up and leave it, if you've followed the aforementioned the buyers will come, all in good time.

Drop the price slightly over time if needs be but if it was reasonable initially then not too much because the tit that eventually buys it will probably make an offer or pull the what's your best price bs and you need some space to feed the buyers "I got a bargain" twinge. Not all buyers do that but you have to plan for it!

And if you are really in a hurry, contact one of the re-sellers and accept a big price cut for them to take it off your hands.

And if you are really in a hurry, contact one of the re-sellers and accept a big price cut for them to take it off your hands.

No one is in that much of a hurry!?

You may as well just drop the price on your own ad to that level and it'll sell quickly.

The lower the price the faster it sells, many people(including my own dumbass at times) will buy things purely because they are bargains, a low price instantly and massively widens your market.

27/03/21, 21/03/21, 17/03/21, 13/03/21, 06/03/21. This as you can see was just this month the people who did not reply.

Not going to waste time looking at more or give any more details. This is enough to prove the point.

I am sorry if I am wasting your time,however please bear in mind buyers are sometimes comparing 2 or three items and need to know I suppose.Then why should they reply to you.I generally ingnore the Is it still available queries.I have an email addy and a phone number if you are interested.Never had a problem.

So this seller advertises a fork and in a different add a set of wheels . I message him and said I will take both at his asking price . He comes back and said I he will take less if I take both items and suggested an amount that I must offer in bike pay . I immediately complete the bike pay form and whilst doing that his message came through that he received a better offer .

So this seller advertises a fork and in a different add a set of wheels . I message him and said I will take both at his asking price . He comes back and said I he will take less if I take both items and suggested an amount that I must offer in bike pay . I immediately complete the bike pay form and whilst doing that his message came through that he received a better offer .

What a chop!

I am sorry if I am wasting your time,however please bear in mind buyers are sometimes comparing 2 or three items and need to know I suppose.Then why should they reply to you.I generally ingnore the Is it still available queries.I have an email addy and a phone number if you are interested.Never had a problem.

because it's about respect! I reply to every message as I often ask if it's still available.

I have found so many ads when contacted it's long sold.

The least you do if someone responds to your message is reply and say you changed your mind or whatever.

To show I'm not a lazy tyre kicker and to get first dibs it's good to ask pertinent questions when asking "Is it still available".

And when people ask "Is it still available" I have programmed a shortcut into my phone's dictionary so if I type "ys" I get the option to auto type Hi, yes it is still available. Easy and possible on any smartphone, I use the Google Gboard keyboard.

Even the advertisers sees the value of advertising on Bike Hub Classifieds.

Prompt feedback and excellent service from Darrvin sealed the deal.

post-110956-0-91218000-1617290025_thumb.jpg

Based on my very small sample over the last few weeks ... it CAN be easy to sell on Bike Hub.

Edited by ChrisF

Even the advertisers sees the value of advertising on Bike Hub Classifieds.

Prompt feedback and excellent service from Darrvin sealed the deal.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20210401-171133_Chrome.jpg

Based on my very small sample over the last few weeks ... it CAN be easy to sell on Bike Hub.

A friend of mine rides a Darrvin, and they treated her like she was buying a 2.5million rand car.

• 2 weeks later...

I listed 5 items on Marketplace and Bikehub in the last couple of weeks.

Some observations:

-I got the same "is this still available" messages on both platforms, I did not let this bother me.

-Marketplace buyers did not haggle on price, when they pitched they paid promptly.

-Bikehub had a couple of hagglers and low-ballers, I just stuck to my guns.

-4 of the 5 items sold within two weeks, most were sold at original listing price.

-I will continue to list on both platforms in future.

I listed 5 items on Marketplace and Bikehub in the last couple of weeks.

Some observations:

-I got the same "is this still available" messages on both platforms, I did not let this bother me.

-Marketplace buyers did not haggle on price, when they pitched they paid promptly.

-Bikehub had a couple of hagglers and low-ballers, I just stuck to my guns.

-4 of the 5 items sold within two weeks, most were sold at original listing price.

-I will continue to list on both platforms in future.

Question - selling "remotely", would Hub-pay sway you in any way ?

Or is it a matter of once the money is in your bank you send the goods ?