Parts appreciation Thread

mada3400

I made this thread before but it didn't catch on, maybe thats because it's a waste of space, or maybe i just posted it in a dark corner of this forum:

This thread is dedicated to the lower cost parts that exceed expectations and give us many happy kilometers without breaking the bank

I've got 2 components

the first is my DT Swiss E1900 wheelset, at 25mm wide internally these are not as wide as I'd like, but they are definitely wide enough. The plan was to trash them and then upgrade to something a little lighter, wider and shiny-er, but they take every hit and keep coming back for more. I've sent a derailleur through the back wheel twice, so its been trued but the rims refuse to dent, happily shrugging off rim strikes that would make previous wheelsets ive had quiver. I found out later that the rims used in this wheelset are the sleeved version of the rim that Aaron Gwin rode down that one DH track with (Leogang?) so that explains why theyre so strong.

The other component I'd like to give some love to are the Sram Level TL brakes on my hardtail, I've got a set of guides and a set of Levels and i hate to say it, but even when the guides were new they weren't as good as these levels, they have telepathic modulation and more top end power than I could ever be able to use. All this for 2k if you look around.

Bonus points for the Specialized Slaughter for being cheap and tough (they used to last pretty well but this new gripton compound isint the greatest in the longevity department, not terrible though)

OP, I was actually thinking of your exact point last night. I have now had dropper posts from KS, Fox, RockShox and Giant; each of them had its own plus and minus points and I really cannot bad mouth any of them.

However, in January I fitted the Koryak Dropper from Pro. I know that the drop might be insufficient for many people at 125mm, however having used a 150mm Fox also, I am just absolutely way too stupid to notice the difference of 25mm when using it. When I removed the dropper from the box my first thought was that I was going to change out the lever with a Wolftooth lever at the first opportunity. We are in May and I still have not swopped out the standard lever, it just works so well and I am going to keep it.

I’ll be honest, compared to the Giant the fitment was a bit of a PIA because the cable clamps at the actuator on the post base itself and not at the lever. But after fitting it there was very little fine-tuning left to get it just sweet. The clamp being a single bolt also requires you to do a proper job in the installation and ensure that you do torque it up to the necessary level, I also added some copper slip to keep it quiet. I have not experienced a single slip in the saddle. After extensive use in a variety of rides, including very dusty and very muddy I am sold on the Pro Koryak. The typical play that you have on a dropper from side to side is minimal and on par with the Fox and KS. Operation is butter smooth, and maintenance is much less than the benchmark budget Giant. With the Giant I use to apply shock grease under the collar after every ride, with the Koryak I only apply every month. My hats of to the peeps at Shimano/PRO, their first attempt at a dropper is really that good.

I am with Boerklong on Rapide. I cannot imagine buying any other chainring again but a Rapide, at the price and the durability there is no contest. The rest of their components are also really good, my kids have plenty Rapide components on their bikes.

+1 for RAPIDE

x1000 for my LEFTY

Oh and KALBO , bought several chainrings from them for different bikes ,awesome value for money and next level aftermarket service! Made in South Africa!

Spank Oozy 345 rims - absolutely bulletproof.

Lyne dropper post - cheap, but just works.

I wanted to post these exact two products! Lyne is awesome (not just for the price, the are good even compared to 8k seatposts). The Spanks have only one dent in after more than a year's use, and run true as the day the were built.

Another product: Formula Cura brakes - not cheap per say, but mid level pricing with top tier performance.