[Event] The Tiletoria PPA Elgin MTB Event - Postponed

mdk555

Event Name: The Tiletoria PPA Elgin MTB Event - Postponed
When: 26 August 2018
Where: Paul Cluver Estate, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Entries for the Tiletoria Elgin Valley MTB, taking place on Sunday 26 August at the Paul Cluver Estate near Grabouw, are now open

An early bird special will be available to the first 25 entrants for each distance. This amounts to a total of 100 entries at drastically reduced prices!

Riders have a choice of 4 routes: 70 km, 45 km, 30 km and 15 km.

The 70 km route once again takes riders to the top of the iconic Groenlandberg. The long climbs and rutted dual track descents will test the rider’s endurance and skill, while some fast, flowing single track close to the finish line adds a fun element to what will be a tough day on the bike.

Both the 45 km and 30 km routes will be using the single tracks on Oak Valley and Paul Cluver farms, while the 15 km route is a flat, non-technical route ideal for beginners and youngsters.

All routes will offer a “Race” and “Ride” category, with riders holding a CSA MTB racing license being eligible to compete in the Race categories in their respective WPMTB age categories. Prize money will be up for grabs for the top three male and female cyclists. The 70 km and 45 km routes will count for Wines2Whales seeding.

R60 000.00 in prize money will be up for grabs.

Food trucks and vendors will be offering a variety of food and beverages at the race village, including craft beer and local wine & cider.

Entries are limited to 1500 riders. Late entries will be available on race day, unless online entries are sold out. For more information, please visit www.pedalpower.org.za

Enquiries: wendy@pedalpower.org.za or gary@pedalpower.org.za

Go to Event Page

2018.pdf

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

For those looking, here is some route info. These are only rough guidelines so do not use for actual navigation and the route could change on the day so follow the route markers.

15km

30km

45km

70km

Edit: If anyone needs Strava routes let me know.

Edited by cm127

Have wondered why not more of the races do this.  Or is it because they know that on the day they might need to incorporate some route changes last minute?

For those looking,  here is some course info. Garmin routes can be found by following the links below.

13km

30km

45km

66km

Have wondered why not more of the races do this.  Or is it because they know that on the day they might need to incorporate some route changes last minute?

I agree, not sure why they don't post this info. But yes, the routes can always change and you'll probably have one person following their GPS and go off the trail...

Looks like it's gonna be a cold and wet one. 

Also saw that, just thinking how dangerous that descent is going to be from the top of Groenlandberg with the puddles hiding deep / loose ruts 

Does anybody know whether the 45km is the same route as last year's?  There seems to be less climbing (which will suit me fine, especially if they cut out that last hill with the switchback climb!)

Also saw that, just thinking how dangerous that descent is going to be from the top of Groenlandberg with the puddles hiding deep / loose ruts 

First time I did this route was 2016 and it was pretty wet back then, rained early in the week. I can only imagine what it will be like in the rain. Hier kom 'n pakslae  :devil:

I don't set much store in long range forecasts but 18.7mm forecast before 8am on sunday in Elgin..... stay in bed with coffee and croissants or battle 70k of mud and slippery rocks risking serious injury and a bank account evisceration for new drivetrain on monday .....

Hmmmm ... it's a close call

The worst I have had thus far was the 2nd/last/2013 Schapenberg MTB. Boet, it was so bad they cancelled the long/30km and we all rode the 17km in a massive storm. 

Having survived that I vowed to never bail because of weather.

I will however take some towels and extra clothes with seeing as I'm going on my own and not with my dad in his Hilux as per usual. Don't want to muddy the beautiful French leather interior of my coupe.  :whistling:

Morning All,

I have just been notified by Pedal Power Association that the Tiletoria Elgin Valley MTB this weekend will be postponed due to the terrible weather forecast and the highly probable unsafe conditions.

The Tiletoria Elgin Valley MTB will now be held on Sunday 7 October 2018.

We apologize for the inconvenience, however the safety of the riders are first priority.

Regards

Michael de Kock.