[Event] The Tiletoria PPA Elgin MTB Event - Postponed

mdk555

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it is probably the safer option, at least they providing the notification in advance, and not two days beforehand.  Might just go do a ride during the week (or night ride), as properly cleaned and serviced my bike last night

Edited by LeoKnight

Strangely there is nothing mentioned on their Facebook page, not on PPA page or anywhere else I looked? I learned about this via a 'forwarded' whatsapp only. No mail.

Will watch carefully....

Feel for those that was going to use this race for their K2C seeding.

But then you also should not rely on 1 event for a good seeding.... (Speaking from personal experience)

And entries still seem to be open via PPA website / Racetec link?

Strangely there is nothing mentioned on their Facebook page, not on PPA page or anywhere else I looked? I learned about this via a 'forwarded' whatsapp only. No mail.

Will watch carefully....

But then you also should not rely on 1 event for a good seeding.... (Speaking from personal experience)

that is the theory ;-)  In practice some riders generally don't sign up for to many racetec races, and rely on one or two.  

Personally I also prefer to spread out my dependency to a few races

Will watch carefully....

PPA will be emailing all that have entered and we are all busy contacting our web administrators to update all the FB and associated web pages.

This is the notice that will go out in the course of the day.....

Dear riders

We have been monitoring the weather in the Elgin Valley for the last week and the weather sites that we use have predicted very wet, cold and windy conditions for this coming weekend.

I cycled across Oak Valley and Paul Cluver farms this past weekend and the trails are wet and muddy. Eikenhof dam is overflowing, having filled up from almost empty in less than 3 months. The ground is saturated.

The forecast says there will be rain in excess of 30mm falling in the 24 hours leading up to the start of the race, but the rain will continue falling well into Monday as well.

For the sake of your safety, we have decided to postpone the Tiletoria Elgin Valley MTB to Sunday 7 October. This is the earliest available date on the event calendar we could find.

The single track on Paul Cluver and Oak Valley farms will be slippery & treacherous.

The Groenlandberg is going to be extremely cold, wet and windy. The wind chill factor will push the temperature close to freezing and your usual rain gear will be soaked and not keep you warm. Your hands will be frozen and make gripping the handlebars on rough terrain extremely difficult.

It would be irresponsible of us to proceed with the event, knowing the inclement weather will increase the risk of personal injury. Not to mention the accelerated wear & tear on your mountain bikes.

I apologise for the inconvenience that our decision may have caused you. We waited as long as possible, hoping the weather would turn, but conditions have worsened.

If you are unable to join us on 7 October at the Paul Cluver amphitheatre, we will refund your entry fee.

Our sponsors support our decision, but I trust you, the riders, understand why we have taken the decision to postpone the Tiletoria Elgin Valley MTB.

Regards

Robert

PPA will be emailing all that have entered and we are all busy contacting our web administrators to update all the FB and associated web pages.

Ok, thanks

This is the notice that will go out in the course of the day.....

Dear riders

We have been monitoring the weather in the Elgin Valley for the last week and the weather sites that we use have predicted very wet, cold and windy conditions for this coming weekend.

I cycled across Oak Valley and Paul Cluver farms this past weekend and the trails are wet and muddy. Eikenhof dam is overflowing, having filled up from almost empty in less than 3 months. The ground is saturated.

The forecast says there will be rain in excess of 30mm falling in the 24 hours leading up to the start of the race, but the rain will continue falling well into Monday as well.

For the sake of your safety, we have decided to postpone the Tiletoria Elgin Valley MTB to Sunday 7 October. This is the earliest available date on the event calendar we could find.

The single track on Paul Cluver and Oak Valley farms will be slippery & treacherous.

The Groenlandberg is going to be extremely cold, wet and windy. The wind chill factor will push the temperature close to freezing and your usual rain gear will be soaked and not keep you warm. Your hands will be frozen and make gripping the handlebars on rough terrain extremely difficult.

It would be irresponsible of us to proceed with the event, knowing the inclement weather will increase the risk of personal injury. Not to mention the accelerated wear & tear on your mountain bikes.

I apologise for the inconvenience that our decision may have caused you. We waited as long as possible, hoping the weather would turn, but conditions have worsened.

If you are unable to join us on 7 October at the Paul Cluver amphitheatre, we will refund your entry fee.

Our sponsors support our decision, but I trust you, the riders, understand why we have taken the decision to postpone the Tiletoria Elgin Valley MTB.

Regards

Robert

Been up there during foul weather. Based on this experience...wise call... :/

Whoopi Yes!!

Been sick for a few weeks so this is like my guardian angel is looking out for me.

Good call if I look at forecast for Elgin on accuweather.

Feel for those that was going to use this race for their K2C seeding.

:whistling:  and I use my K2C as seeding for CTCT. But I guess K2C will then seed me on my previous 7 times. 

Oohh... another seeding debate! Why don't they use a central seeding system? What heppened to SASeeding?

Can you print your own numbers yet?!