Standard practice - replacing a chain along with a cassette

mecheng89

Good Friday afternoon to all Hubbers.

I recently bought a chain I've been looking for for ages, but I'm wrestling with the thought of putting it on. As my thread title suggests, I know it's standard practice to replace the chain and cassette simultaneously. I just got a new chain/cassette combo in November. I'm willing to keep the chain as a spare, but new Ultegra cassettes aren't exactly small change, but I'd prefer to spend that money somewhere else (thank heavens I don't have DA). Mileage on the chain/cassette combo is approx. 3500km. 

So, recommendations?

If you replace the chain timeously then your cassette should last for about 4 - 5 chains.

This^

This inception

I found this out the expensive way!

Bought a chain checking tool along with the new cassettes, so no more wasted cassettes!

The dealer who is servicing your ur bike  or selling you the chain will tell you that it is standard practice to replace a cassette with the chain every time and that in most cases is a lie.

You can do a visual check for wear.

Edited by kosmonooit

Now if you really want to do it proper then get yourself another new chain and at 1200km or 1500km you interchange the chain you have with the new one and keep on doing it with the two chains. Both chains and cassettes will last longer.

Now if you really want to do it proper then get yourself another new chain and at 1200km or 1500km you interchange the chain you have with the new one and keep on doing it with the two chains. Both chains and cassettes will last longer.

I'll give it a bash, thanks. 

Two chain swop over is nonsense. Buy a chain checking tool, replace in time with a new. You will use one cassette and 4 to 5 chains, maybe more.

Don't forget to look after the chain (and cassette), i.e. keep it clean and lubed.

I'm on my 5th chain on a Sram XO1 11spd cassette. No sign of the cassette coming to an end any time soon.

Just change your chain often. I probably change too soon, but it's worked for me so far.

Two chain swop over is nonsense. Buy a chain checking tool, replace in time with a new. You will use one cassette and 4 to 5 chains, maybe more.

Works for me in that I always have a very clean, well lubed chain at the ready. Life is a bitch and you don't always have that opportune time to clean and lube before the next ride.

Some propose the 3 chain option is even better. 

Not trying to convince anyone, but it works or me, and ... use it, don't use it; don't really care.