Netherlands and Mountain biking - anyone done this

Hi Everyone,

I curious if anyone here has done any mountain biking in the Netherlands and if you have, how was it?

I'm aware the Netherlands is pretty flat but I've known little local hills to be challenging at times. I'm interested to find out if there are trails there and if there is a mountain biking community or if its just all about commuting and promenade cycling?

Looking forward to any comments you may have from your experience. Alternatively, if you can point me in the right direction to meet or chat with someone who has.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I curious if anyone here has done any mountain biking in the Netherlands and if you have, how was it?

I'm aware the Netherlands is pretty flat but I've known little local hills to be challenging at times. I'm interested to find out if there are trails there and if there is a mountain biking community or if its just all about commuting and promenade cycling?

Looking forward to any comments you may have from your experience. Alternatively, if you can point me in the right direction to meet or chat with someone who has.

Thanks

Where in the Netherlands are you or will you be as this can change the answer quite a lot.

Sadly not near one of my known area's.

Maybe this might help http://www.mtbroutes.nl/

Don't expect anything much in hills there might be small nasty bumps but in a lot of the country they will be less then 50m altitude gain. Excpet for the far corner near Belgium and Germany.

Though you might enjoy the forest riding in some regions like near nijmegen or Breda/bergen op zoom. From hilversum towards arnhem might be some stuff to find as well.

Yes there is an MTB community and some MTB events happening (I can e-mail someone for details if you wish).

You can get some elevations gain around Apeldoorn and Arnhem, but MTB in NL is not necessarily about elevation gain and gravel as it is for Saffa's. Forest riding in central NL is rad and dune riding we did around Wassenaar was cool too. 

If you're planning on taking your MTB to NL and will therefore also commute with it, take a very good lock and consider buying a rear wheel lock (cheap) there too - MTB's are like gold there and bike theft is rife (also for joy-riding).

Most mtb loops I saw was short - 2 to 4km - and the routes were much less technical than SA trails.

There are lots of paved bike commuter paths to cruise.

Hi Christine,

If you wouldn't mind emailing for more info that would be great. Ill PM you with my email.

Many Thanks 

Yes there is an MTB community and some MTB events happening (I can e-mail someone for details if you wish).

You can get some elevations gain around Apeldoorn and Arnhem, but MTB in NL is not necessarily about elevation gain and gravel as it is for Saffa's. Forest riding in central NL is rad and dune riding we did around Wassenaar was cool too. 

If you're planning on taking your MTB to NL and will therefore also commute with it, take a very good lock and consider buying a rear wheel lock (cheap) there too - MTB's are like gold there and bike theft is rife (also for joy-riding).

Don't commute on your MTB, get a crap bike locally to commute sticky fingers with battery powered angle grinders around.

I, unfortunately, read about this too on an expat NL forum. Was a little surprised considering how many commuting cyclists there are there. But hey at least they not trying to take the bike when you still on it ;)

Don't commute on your MTB, get a crap bike locally to commute sticky fingers with battery powered angle grinders around.

Yes, a 2nd hand oumafiets will do fine for commute too. 

Replying here in case the thread is useful to future hubbers adventuring in NL:

My Dutch friend recommends this site for MTB routes all over NL http://www.mtbroutes.nl/

In mid-September there will also be an MTB event in Limburg, with 1 day distances and a 2 day option, which is apparently worth checking out https://www.mh2d.nl/

Edited by Christine Cozien

• 2 weeks later...

I live in NL, and in the last couple of years there have been a bit of explosion in mtb routes, the course in Spaarnwoude just outside Amsterdam is fun as well, reminds me of riding the zc course in Pretoria back in the day. Places like Shoorl in Noord Holland have excellent routes. Then the Utrechtse Heuvelrug have loads of really world class xc style courses, think fast flowing smooth singletrack with the occasional roots here and there. Routes like Zeist, Amerongen, Austrlitz, and Leersum comes to mind. Then zuid limberg is incredible with some proper climbing, the riding there makes me think alot of riding around in Sabie. Its well worth it going a little over the border to belgium in the Ardennes mountains. For a weekend trip, Winterberg bike park( lifts and dh runs) are awesome. If your still in NL pm me and I can show you around if you want.