Next XTR: It is 12 speed !

Christie

Funny how my 3x9 on the 26" (previous bike) and the 2x10 on the current bike has never given me any issues with chain drops, no matter the trails and or terrain I am riding. No chain guides are attached to my bikes so I guess I will have to go 1x1 if I want 100% total peace of mind.

Ran 3 x for a very long time on a good couple of bikes .... it worked fine, though there were times that the chain did drop ... not many times over this period, but it did come off.

Now in hindsight, the best thing about a 3 x crankset is that when you convert it to a 1 x something or a 1 x 1, the middle chainring position is in just about the perfect location for a good chain line :)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen enough people jump on a bike then thumb the FD whilst doing 5kph and 15rpm to know that not all FD issues are equipment related.

Like all things though - there is no right and wrong for the 1x / 2x debate. Both have their place.

For me it's 1x for training and XCO/1 day races.

2x for stage racing and 1 day race in areas with HUGE mountains.

Problem is the OEM’s don’t give you an option, most 2018 bikes in the shops I’ve seen are all 1x and don’t even have a place for the FD

The comments RE the clearance advantage of a 1x vs a 2x ir 3x is very real on tech terrain with rocks, etc. This can not be disputed.

Trying to counter argument this by saying that you are running a "longer" rear der due to the larger cassette and are now so much more at risk it true, but is also a very small risk factor as you have your rear wheel to carry the rear der over the obstacle on the trail. Now if you want to say that it is exposed to rocks on the side of the trail, then this is really also applicable to any drive train, no matter the number of chain rings.

Let's also look at another very valid, and cold hard fact ..... 1 x is just so sexy! 

post-5403-0-80774900-1527160785_thumb.jpg

Let's also look at another very valid, and cold hard fact ..... 1 x is just so sexy! 

I'd guess that is the main reason for most conversions :-)

That and an ego thing - people not 'ard enough for SS aim for reflected glory in going 1x...

I'd guess that is the main reason for most conversions :-)

That and an ego thing - people not 'ard enough for SS aim for reflected glory in going 1x...

bring what you brought

Problem is the OEM’s don’t give you an option, most 2018 bikes in the shops I’ve seen are all 1x and don’t even have a place for the FD

Its the same problem with 26". No options there unless you look overseas or in the kiddy section - which, incidentally, is also where most of the 3x systems still reside.

Yes, bring it on.

Then I buy the new parts replaced by 12 speed right here on the Hub.

Maybe it might be beneficial to upgrade to 10 speed when the fashionista upcountry cyclists start splashing out for whatever is new on the market.  :whistling:

I will take the cheap NOS with gratitude towards 12 speed "upgrades"

Some bargains to be had in the near future?  :P

Edited by Sepia

Exactly. The Yankee bikes are dropping 2x compatibility like its hot. Ze Germans seem to be holding out a bit, offering new frames with 2x compatibility. 

Exactly. The Yankee bikes are dropping 2x compatibility like its hot. Ze Germans seem to be holding out a bit, offering new frames with 2x compatibility. 

If one rides XC in the Alps and Dolomites, the range of 2x becomes necessary.

Those mountains are insane. It is one of the reasons why e-bikes have caught on so well there.

Exactly. I went from 3x9 SLX to 1x10 XTR bought here, for tjeep tjeep. Lekker man lekker.

I think he meant picking up cheap 3x and 2x parts, not converting to 1x :-) 

So now that this thread has been hi-jacked to death and Hairy has distracted us all with that gorgeous hardtail....

Any got any info on the new XTR?

If one rides XC in the Alps and Dolomites, the range of 2x becomes necessary.

Those mountains are insane. It is one of the reasons why e-bikes have caught on so well there.

Have you ever seen an e-bike with a 2x or 3x drive train.....? I thought not. This just proves that all you need is the necessary strength to ride up anything with a 1x system. Woosies.