Rockshox paint flaking

Edge540

While it would be wonderful to get a warranty claim I don't want to try my luck if it's something which I stuffed up, I know I've never spilt brake fluid but it is possible the LBS did while servicing. Maybe I should ask them to have a look and see if they think it's worth sending it to Sram especially considering it's around 2 years old.

Dot 4 Brake fluid is not that toxic to decent paint unless it is on for a really extended period of time - and any spill that big is going to be on the frame paint as well...

Older Dot 3 brake fluid is a different animal - strips paint pretty quick - Dot 3+ fluids are better but should be cleaned off pretty quickly.

Dot 5 does nothing at all - silicon based

Dot 5.1 is not silicon based and like dot 4 and 4.1 automotive paint is pretty resistant to it - powder coat too.

That bubbling under the coating looks like corrosion - you don't keep pool chemicals close to your bike do you?

Dot 4 Brake fluid is not that toxic to decent paint unless it is on for a really extended period of time - and any spill that big is going to be on the frame paint as well...

Older Dot 3 brake fluid is a different animal - strips paint pretty quick - Dot 3+ fluids are better but should be cleaned off pretty quickly.

Dot 5.1 is not silicon based and like dot 4 and 4.1 automotive paint is pretty resistant to it - powder coat too.

That bubbling under the coating looks like corrosion - you don't keep pool chemicals close to your bike do you?

The reason I made the original post is because to me it appears to be coming from underneath but I'm no expert. The bike isn't stored anywhere near chemicals and the only area affected is the fork. The rest of the bike which is four years old is near perfect apart from the usual mtb rubs and scrapes.

I'm going to pop into my LBS a little later and get their take on it.

You learn something new every day. Thanks.

I'm by no means a expert but that looks exactly like Aluminium rust. See image

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/bike-frame-discussion/958868d1422309854-aluminum-frame-corrosion-shock-mount-superlight-2.jpg

I would take it to RS as that's definitely paint coming off due to rust underneath. 

I'm by no means a expert but that looks exactly like Aluminium rust. See image

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/bike-frame-discussion/958868d1422309854-aluminum-frame-corrosion-shock-mount-superlight-2.jpg

I would take it to RS as that's definitely paint coming off due to rust underneath.

Popped in to LBS and they reckon we must send it Sram so will be going in next week. Need my bike for a race on Saturday or I’d send it this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you you keep your bike ??

I see corrosion marks on your rotors as well so to me it is likely to be an environmental issue.

How often do you wash and do you dry your bike?

Where do you you keep your bike ??

I see corrosion marks on your rotors as well so to me it is likely to be an environmental issue.

How often do you wash and do you dry your bike?

The bike is stored in an outside room but living less than a km from the sea any untreated metal rusts so yes the environment may well be a contributing factor but unless the finish is damaged corrosion shouldn’t begin. There’s also no problem with any other aluminum parts, bars, seat post etc. I wash the bike when it’s dirty and dry it off immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk