Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

The reversed route is definitely harder, the climbs are much steeper. Was 5 minutes faster than last year on a 2.53. The heat and wind did not help.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reversed route was nice, but tough. Hot Joburg weather didn't really help. Did it on a mtb with regular wheels and tyres (4:32)

My day started off crap, late start as I missed my group.

Before even the start was at mechanics with gears that was not as compliant as they should be.

Mech fixed thought that sorted guess not so I had no gears for the hills till the 1st mechanics on route, Stopped again adjusted limit screws and setting DI2 at junction box, all sorted according to mechanic,not the case again no gears to climb another stop at mechanics again adjusting geas all sorted now you good to go. Yea right the gremlins in the gears were far bigger then setting gears. Yet another stop which I thought flip now it be A OK guess my wish was not granted. Eventually i thought WTF already lost chunk of time stopping at mechanics. Will nurse myself home eventually made it to finish line. The heat was unbelievable had to stop at almost every water station. Hopefully next will be a better race

Edited by Riamich

My 1st cycle challenge. Was aiming for 4 hours but managed 4:54. Started cramping up at 70km mark. Had to dismount a couple times to walk it off. The m1 was great but couldnt find a group to join, either to slow or waaaaaaaay to fast. eventually had a few guys in my slip for about 6kms before woodmead. 

Was a decent day out despite the heat and cramps 

My day started off crap, late start as I missed my group.

Before even the start was at mechanics with gears that was not as compliant as they should be.

Mech fixed thought that sorted guess not so I had no gears for the hills till the 1st mechanics on route, Stopped again adjusted limit screws and setting DI2 at junction box, all sorted according to mechanic,not the case again no gears to climb another stop at mechanics again adjusting geas all sorted now you good to go. Yea right the gremlins in the gears were far bigger then setting gears. Yet another stop which I thought flip now it be A OK guess my wish was not granted. Eventually i thought WTF already lost chunk of time stopping at mechanics. Will nurse myself home eventually made it to finish line. The heat was unbelievable had to stop at almost every water station. Hopefully next will be a better race

i'd check your derailleur hanger. bets are its bent

i had a tough race. 

VA shelled me at the 30km mark.

from then one we slowly built a group of around 6-8 riders and rode in.

the wind on the highway was savage!

still for my fitness level i am very happy with my result

the second lap we helped push a chariot around.

was great fun to actually ride the route and enjoy the people and atmosphere

ended up with 197 odd km in the legs

https://www.facebook.com/185568138146518/posts/1948898235146824/

Edited by Furbz

Started at 09H00 with hectic flu and loaded with meds, was aiming for 03H30, but with the crazy heat and flu I just managed a sub-4. Had to stop at every WP for water and voltaren.

Garmin read 40C temp at finish, car read 42C.

Overall a great race, very well organised, loved the new route - climbs were tough but not too bad.

This was my first road race - now to work on my seeding and get an earlier (cooler!) start next year.

Furbz and his group passed me in Douglasdale, on their second lap - respect!

Started at 09H00 with hectic flu and loaded with meds, was aiming for 03H30, but with the crazy heat and flu I just managed a sub-4. Had to stop at every WP for water and voltaren.

Garmin read 40C temp at finish, car read 42C.

Overall a great race, very well organised, loved the new route - climbs were tough but not too bad.

This was my first road race - now to work on my seeding and get an earlier (cooler!) start next year.

Furbz and his group passed me in Douglasdale, on their second lap - respect!

:eek:

WERE YOU TRYING TO KILL YOURSELF?

My first 94.7 and went pretty average. Did it in 4H17m.

Note to one's self, beg, borrow or steal a road bike for this race. I did it on a MTB and I k@k'd off. The uphill's were a breeze on a 1 x 12 setup but the downhills really bruised my ego when all the roadies came sailing past me.

Edited by slickjay007

A bit of a suffer fest from exit out of Kyalami till the top of the last climb. Cramped both VMO's and welcomed the downhill finish.

Enjoyed the M1, even with the slight headwind.

I way preferred this route in reverse,I cant give any exact reasons but perhaps because you get allot of the ups and down over earlier, not sure but i liked it .

Supported a friend on Her first 94.7 and her 4th time on her bike and she did a well respected 3h52 on  mtb .

personally had a great day out. 

I never thought that I will see an e bike on the wheel of a road bike. Yesterday I did on the m1, guess his battery got flat. Couple of minutes later he got dropped.

Just a bit of rant, IMO, there very many inspirational riders out there yesterday all shapes and sizes and some with disabilities, how can one possibly enjoy the race riding with your e bike ?

On a lighter note, enjoyed the route. Hope the route stays the same for next year. 

:eek:

WERE YOU TRYING TO KILL YOURSELF?

???? Kept my heartrate in the 160’s and pulled back every time it went into 170’s. Had a lekker ride, despite the heat.