Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

Had the privilege of riding the first half of the route with Victor Matfield.

Unfortunately when we hit the M1, he went into overdrive.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see there is a 80km Telkom 94.7 listed on Racetec perhaps that's were the cyclists who did the shorter route are listed?

It gets difficult to know exactly who the people are that did the shortened route, unless if they used timing mats at the detour points and thus logged the people who got diverted. I remember there were mats at the exit of Kyalami, so that is probably it then.  :ph34r:

I never felt like this route had any chance for recovery. Mostly because I was always chasing groups I guess. This is the hardest race I have ever done, but still one of the best IMO

Omg! Did I get my ass handed to me this year ..wow ..

When you think you going to have a great race and fate gives you the middle finger .

Neutral zone in Steyn city I started cramping ... Missed my E start and departed from the back of H , bonus I thought ;) .. Will take it easy with this group .

I have never had this level of pain in my life , and that includes 2 crashes in this race 2 years ago .

I have never stopped so many times to stretch and rub ... 3 stops on Jan Smuts.. 3 stops on the M1 ... Then lost count after that .. 10 litres of fluids .. And 4h59 on the Garmin.

But stubborn as I am I made sure to finish .

Huge respect to all who took part.

It was a very hard day out there for me, will I do it again ? Probably .

But I'm convinced this race hates me ;)

When you think you going to have a great race and fate gives you the middle finger .

Neutral zone in Steyn city I started cramping ... Missed my E start and departed from the back of H , bonus I thought ;) .. Will take it easy with this group .

I have never had this level of pain in my life , and that includes 2 crashes in this race 2 years ago .

I have never stopped so many times to stretch and rub ... 3 stops on Jan Smuts.. 3 stops on the M1 ... Then lost count after that .. 10 litres of fluids .. And 4h59 on the Garmin.

Sounds to me more like you had other issues or possibly was not well before you even started... might need to have it checked out - or you haven't turned the pedal in months...

My first 947 after a couple of years off. Yes, I was lured by the reverse route angle and I have to say for me, I preferred the reverse route: some solo efforts on hills in the first half, some group riding on the M1 and then a testing penultimate series of hills. Definitely felt safer out on the road with a bit more room after Cedar ave thinned the herd a bit.

Was aiming to get close to sub-3 and was behind at water point 3 but caught up all bar 2 mins on entry to Kyalami GP, and then I entered a space-time wormhole between there and the summit rd junction, as my 3 hrs passed at that junction. This despite feeling that I rode the mine-shaft and the following hills strongly (note to self - perhaps don't compare your 'effort' to those around you at that stage). Still took 8 mins off my PB so can't complain. All round, a nice day out.

2018 was my 14th 947, the last one being in 2013.  Got to say I absolutely loved every minute of the route.  I was under no illusions that it was going to be tough so I removed all electronics, no HRM, GPS, nothing....the only plan was to start easy and have a lekker day simply riding a bicycle on traffic-free streets, with the specific intention of finishing the ride feeling like I could go further (I am planning on getting my feet wet in the Audax scene in 2019).

My biggest concern was Kyalami's mineshaft, knowing I can blast down meant an expectation of severe suffering going up....the reality was very different - piece of cake.  I finished in a very leisurely 4h30, a slightly deeper tan, and confidence that my Audax training is on track.

Try leaving the electronics behind sometime - it's hugely liberating.... 

Thanks for posting this. I keep on committing I will leave the electronics and then I strap it on again. I will definitely take your liberating suggestion.

:thumbup:

What did you eat or drinkon Sat or Sun that was different to you normal pre-race routine?

Sounds to me more like you had other issues or possibly was not well before you even started... might need to have it checked out - or you haven't turned the pedal in months...

My doctor passed me on route .. And he started an hour later, lol .

Checked me out.. Low blood pressure , extreme dehidration / heatstroke .. Loaded me with the biggest drip I've seen in my life(lol).

I'm feeling way better today .. But can't say what I did wrong considering I had such a comfy Amashove .

I don't have any legitimate excuses though ... None :)

What did you eat or drinkon Sat or Sun that was different to you normal pre-race routine?

Thats just it.. Didn't change a single thing ... Terrified of complications , even had better sleep than usual .

Thus I'm blaming the the 94.7 Gremlins and witches hahahaha

This was my 8th 94.7 and did this one on a tandem with a mate as our first tandem race. Not an easy race on tandem (and I’m sure no easier on a single bike) but was still a great day out racing. The highway section with 4 tandems in a pace line was super quick (I thought)

Reversed route definitely seems to be a bit tougher with less time to recover after the hills. I wasn’t expecting that start to be so intense so that was a bit of a wake up call, the part after kyalami was also tough for us but otherwise a lekker route.

Every year I look at the size of the event and I shudder to think how much planning and logistics must go into this race, and things always seem to go along without major issues so well done to the organizers and everyone involved, thanks for a great event. See you next year.

First time around, not only for the 94.7, but any road ride. Still waiting for RaceTec to post my official time (is anyone else still waiting?) but I finished in 4:05 on my Garmin. Given my short time riding a bike and that I'm in my 50's, I'm more than happy with that. Obviously have nothing to compare the ride to but I found the route far more manageable than I was dreading. Speaking to some of my experienced mates, I probably lost quite a bit of time by riding alone and not having a group to work with.

Curious to know if the loading process smoothed out as the day wore on?

We were in DL, loading just after all the Vets, and it was gridlocked infront of the Mugg& Bean stall, struggled to get through all the D,E etc group riders who weren't due for another 30mins.