Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

First time around, not only for the 94.7, but any road ride. Still waiting for RaceTec to post my official time (is anyone else still waiting?) but I finished in 4:05 on my Garmin. Given my short time riding a bike and that I'm in my 50's, I'm more than happy with that. Obviously have nothing to compare the ride to but I found the route far more manageable than I was dreading. Speaking to some of my experienced mates, I probably lost quite a bit of time by riding alone and not having a group to work with.

If your result is not up yet, I would recommend you submit a query here: http://queries.racetec.co.za/resultqueries

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious to know if the loading process smoothed out as the day wore on?

We were in DL, loading just after all the Vets, and it was gridlocked infront of the Mugg& Bean stall, struggled to get through all the D,E etc group riders who weren't due for another 30mins.

I was in J, and it was v painless past Mugg & Bean. They had a couple of marshalls next to Mugg & Bean shouting the odds to smooth the process....

Curious to know if the loading process smoothed out as the day wore on?

We were in DL, loading just after all the Vets, and it was gridlocked infront of the Mugg& Bean stall, struggled to get through all the D,E etc group riders who weren't due for another 30mins.

Had to be rude to get through all those ijiots... just stand aside and try to make a bit of room if you're queuing 60 minutes before your chute loads.

Everybody suffering from a severe case of Race Brain.

I was in J, and it was v painless past Mugg & Bean. They had a couple of marshalls next to Mugg & Bean shouting the odds to smooth the process....

Good to hear.

I liked the loading-pen layout, much less stressful to get to your group once through the choke point.

Had to be rude to get through all those ijiots... just stand aside and try to make a bit of room if you're queuing 60 minutes before your chute loads.

Everybody suffering from a severe case of Race Brain.

In defense of the Race Brains and "Idiots", the "Final Instructions" sent to riders strongly advised to be at the applicable starting chutes 60 minutes prior to start. Anyone not too familiar with the starting process or not familiar with the new start and venue (which is all of us) would probably have hogged the place to ensure a timely departure. 

How's bout we chill the faaaark out and ease up on chasing times and seeking perfect rides.

Cycling is fun.  

Edited by Karooryder

Well not many complaints about goodie bags, but quite a few about E Bikes. Really? Some take the fun ride world Champs so seriously. Just get on with it man. Do you think people care whether you came 7429th or 7430th??.

No....nobody cares.

But there is a sense of accomplishment if you complete it by yourself without help.

This motorized crap takes a lot of that accomplishment away.  

In defense of the Race Brains and "Idiots", the "Final Instructions" sent to riders strongly advised to be at the applicable starting chutes 60 minutes prior to start. Anyone not too familiar with the starting process or not familiar with the new start and venue (which is all of us) would probably have hogged the place to ensure a timely departure.

How's bout we chill the faaaark out and ease up on chasing times and seeking perfect rides.

Cycling is fun.

Couldn’t agree more, was due to start in E and was there in plenty of time, but the crowd of people in front meant I would have to behave like a **** to get to the front. No biggy, started in G, stress free without working myself up. There were still loads of people quicker than me in any case, so it wouldnt have made much difference to my end time

WKO4

Edit: Golden Cheetah is a free version, and probably as good as WKo4. It’s the app/program mentioned in Training & Racing with a power meter, which is why I went with it.

It also shows matches burnt, based on % of FTP. I know my FTP wasn’t correct, but it certainly felt like I was striking a match every climb:

b064db607d229b03141154b76bdb326f.jpg

40 Matches in total.

I am still walking funny........

post-25-0-95473000-1542712577_thumb.jpg

40 Matches in total.

I am still walking funny........

Thanks for sharing that you still walking funny , lol.. I'm hopping along like a pirate on a peg leg

I thought they could've created 'staging'/pre-loading areas to prevent that huge bottleneck.

And having alternate groups filtering in from two entry points (like they used to have) would've helped.

But, let's give organisers the benefit of the doubt. First year with the new layout...

Thats just it.. Didn't change a single thing ... Terrified of complications , even had better sleep than usual .

Thus I'm blaming the the 94.7 Gremlins and witches hahahaha

Ok, then I'd put it down to the heat.

If you don't regularly train and race in that sort of heat your body can just through a spanner in the works.

Secondly you need to start hydrating your body two days before a race in temps like that. So increasing your fluid intake and defiantly not waiting till you thirsty because by then its too late.I just constantly keep a bottle water with me and just sip through the day. Even the morning of the race I probably drank 1L before I got to the venue and I started at 6am.

I thought they could've created 'staging'/pre-loading areas to prevent that huge bottleneck.

And having alternate groups filtering in from two entry points (like they used to have) would've helped.

But, let's give organisers the benefit of the doubt. First year with the new layout...

All they need was a marshal with a pole and the start letter and things would have been smooth sailing.

First time around, not only for the 94.7, but any road ride. Still waiting for RaceTec to post my official time (is anyone else still waiting?) but I finished in 4:05 on my Garmin. Given my short time riding a bike and that I'm in my 50's, I'm more than happy with that. Obviously have nothing to compare the ride to but I found the route far more manageable than I was dreading. Speaking to some of my experienced mates, I probably lost quite a bit of time by riding alone and not having a group to work with.

Similar to my experience except my first one was the Tshwane Classic two weekends before, I then rode the 55 km MTB and then this. We are both in the same age range but your time was considerably better than mine. Well done!

I started in B bunch and never felt hot during the ride but at the finish line once I stopped I felt the heat pretty quick.

Those last 4km are probably the best out of any race.

Ditto heat wasn’t much of any issue,although felt the heat on the last few climbs . The last few Km’s were fast and sooooo much fun. It actually made the race for me .