All things Team Qhubeka NextHash

Eldron

They get a lot of TV time, especially with Cummings patrolling the exit during the TDF

WRT to Cav, I'm not so sure he would want to stay at TDD/NTT ..his current efforts remind me of someone just making up the numbers because he has to be there

Well with Danillo Wyss sprinting to Top 10 two days in a row while Cav nowhere close he is showing what attitude he brings, If I was any cycling team principal, I would not sign him.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on how many of their "passengers" they sacking?

No idea really , probably first look at some of their expensive non performers.

I like how when they present the team on social media they have guys like Reinie as leadout and Cav as Sprinter...????

Should read "Hopeful finisher" not "Sprinter"

Edited by nochain

Any news on how many of their "passengers" they sacking?

Cav to switch and take his two pals with him. Bahrain Merida.

What would be the motivation for taking him? Does he really still bring sponsors with? Does he still have a pile of points to share?

Someone needs to take Rohan Dennis' spot.

What would be the motivation for taking him? Does he really still bring sponsors with? Does he still have a pile of points to share?

Big mates with Ron Dennis of McLaren who are joint venture partners with Bahrain Merida

As a "SA or African Team" one would think they would be looking for local talent. Right now, the only SA rider getting coverage and racing his bike with conviction is Willie.

You would think he would be their #1 home grown pick and I believe he would change the theme of this thread if he was on that team and racing his bike. We would have something positive to scream for.

An open letter should be sent to them from their fan base back home. 

My 2c on this as I actually want this team and Doug R to get back to where they were and more, a few years ago.

I took it as which riders would be picked up not who deserved to be there. Cav's performance outside of his own quotes wouldn't get him into many teams but he's still got the profile, the sponsor connections and media spotlight that will probably add enough benefit to go with much lower salary expectation. I'd imagine you'd see him in the WT next year. 

So basically the only reason he gets a ride is due to who he knows (has a reputation for going over team Managers heads and going direct to sponsors when he doesn't get a ride or what he wants), the noise he creates on social media and the likes but still has ZERO results.

For whatever his salary is, I would rather take 4 other riders who will give me more than that and get on with their team mates.

Edited by J Wakefield

As a "SA or African Team" one would think they would be looking for local talent. Right now, the only SA rider getting coverage and racing his bike with conviction is Willie.

You would think he would be their #1 home grown pick and I believe he would change the theme of this thread if he was on that team and racing his bike. We would have something positive to scream for.

My 2c on this as I actually want this team and Doug R to get back to where they were and more, a few years ago.

it seems all too similar to the old Team Barloworld days when the first few seasons had a very South African flavor, after which it slowly morphed in what was almost a re-branded Saeco Cannondale team (I stand corrected but I think it was them).

I think the days of Africa's Team of what started out as MTN-Qhubeka have sadly ended - I guess at the end of the day Sponsors want results not feel-goods

Edited by Andymann

Absolutely agree with this .

You mentioned a few posts back that Willie may have something sorted soon . Any news/update on that ??

it seems all too similar to the old Team Barloworld days when the first few seasons had a very South African flavor, after which it slowly morphed in what was almost a re-branded Saeco Cannondale team (I stand corrected but I think it was them).

I think the days of Africa's Team of what started out as MTN-Qhubeka have sadly ended - I guess at the end of the day Sponsors want results not feel-goods

Sponsors want exposure along with results.

The leverage the sponsors got with the 5 hand salute has started dwindling. Fairy tales like the African dream team and Qhubeka will only keep you on the discussion table for so long.

People move onto the next feel good story.

Edited by Patchelicious

100%!

MTN and Qhubeka are both really South African companies.

Then it was Dimension Data which started as a South African company but lost that title in 2010.

NTT is not even remotely South African or has the "started in SA" like Dimension Data.

For me the fluffy support saffer status will drop another level in 2020.

I will, of course, still get all fanboy about SA riders (in the same way I do now about Willie, Daryl etc).

So basically the only reason he gets a ride is due to who he knows (has a reputation for going over team Managers heads and going direct to sponsors when he doesn't get a ride or what he wants), the noise he creates on social media and the likes but still has ZERO results.

For whatever his salary is, I would rather take 4 other riders who will give me more than that and get on with their team mates.

I was a big fan of what he brought to the team in terms of coverage and experience.

But it seems each time something doesn't go his way he sulks around at home in the UK in his Nikes with his Monster flatcap with pics of his GB team kit and espouses the virtues of the Qhubeka campaign. Deliberate silence on anything Didata - pretty sure the team will be glad to see the back of him soon.

So in my books he behaves like spoilt brat who thinks he's entitled to win.

If Brent Copeland hangs around with the arrival of Ellingworth, then Cav may find himself answering to another saffa.

Its actually embarrassing how the pro-conti riders boss him out of sprint in the last 2km - no fight left in him.