All things Team Qhubeka NextHash

Eldron

As a "SA or African Team" one would think they would be looking for local talent. Right now, the only SA rider getting coverage and racing his bike with conviction is Willie.

You would think he would be their #1 home grown pick and I believe he would change the theme of this thread if he was on that team and racing his bike. We would have something positive to scream for.

An open letter should be sent to them from their fan base back home.

My 2c on this as I actually want this team and Doug R to get back to where they were and more, a few years ago.

How many riders in total make up a pro team?

Not including the ones with good teams now (like Darryl) Are there enough SA riders with the ability to survive (never mind compete) on the pro tour or to even make up one team of 8 riders, never mind the quantity needed to make up a whole team (20 + riders)

For a SA team to succeed like we all want, there has to be a majority made up of foreign riders.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Matt Beers stint at UAE going?

As a "SA or African Team" one would think they would be looking for local talent. Right now, the only SA rider getting coverage and racing his bike with conviction is Willie.

You would think he would be their #1 home grown pick and I believe he would change the theme of this thread if he was on that team and racing his bike. We would have something positive to scream for.

My 2c on this as I actually want this team and Doug R to get back to where they were and more, a few years ago.

Thought about that, If I was Willie, would I like to go to TDD?

Something like UAE would be amazing, team have some great results and some leaders to follow. 

Agreed though, need to get back to roots.

Thought about that, If I was Willie, would I like to go to TDD?

Something like UAE would be amazing, team have some great results and some leaders to follow. 

Agreed though, need to get back to roots.

UAE didnt have the results they wanted at Le Tour, but they have bounced back.

I've said it before, I do not want to see Willie ride for Africa's Team. He needs to be at one of the top teams. 

I would love TDD / NTT get back to some of the performances of the past but what is most annoying is silence around the glaringly sub par performances. There is a certain arrogance around it and a belief that a press release with the required corporate buzz words in is enough. They might learn from the approach of Matt White and their media team. I've heard one fairly vanilla interview with Doug Ryder all year. 

TDD is team that has encouraged people to get emotionally involved, courted fan support but then just papers over everything by rolling out the old 'look there are bikes, there are kids, it's good. Don't ask questions, how dare you. There are bikes, there are kids of course it's great, why would you want to be negative about bikes and kids? It's above cycling because of kids and bikes'. 

Really hoping that they can get it together and turn the ship around in the off season as it is a good cause and having team that grew from an African story and does cultivate local talent via the feeder team is well, well worth having. 

I've said it before, I do not want to see Willie ride for Africa's Team. He needs to be at one of the top teams. 

And that pretty much sums up how badly it's gone downhill - do a forum search for MTN-Qhubeka and you will see all sorts of comments and suggestions about how great it would be if Daryl Impey could sign and if Chris Froome was on the team and such a pity Louis Meintjies was leaving.

And now - one simple statement - "I do not want to see Willie ride for Africa's team - He needs to be at one of the top teams."

How many riders in total make up a pro team?

Not including the ones with good teams now (like Darryl) Are there enough SA riders with the ability to survive (never mind compete) on the pro tour or to even make up one team of 8 riders, never mind the quantity needed to make up a whole team (20 + riders)

For a SA team to succeed like we all want, there has to be a majority made up of foreign riders.

World Tour - Min 27 - Max 30

Pro Continental - Min 20 - Max 30

Continental - Min 10 - Max 16

The level in SA overall isn't good enough to have a near full compliment of riders, even in a PC team but there are riders in SA that if guided correctly have a chance at PC level which after some time can go to WT.

When I say some riders I mean a handful, at best, but you have to start somewhere.

Bud, if I had to tell you the process from the Monday post Tour that went on to make sure we bounce back would give you nightmares. But to me, it showed how serious this team is, how they weren't resting on their results from Tour and got the small working group of people together to make sure we come out swinging at Vuelta. 

Agree whole heartedly on Willie, yes, we are really close mates but even if we weren't and I saw from the outside what he is doing, I would still say the same.

How is Matt Beers stint at UAE going?

Its actually going ok, the Tours for him are good as he thrives in those conditions. He got his 1st experience of Belgium classics this weekend and thew 1st one was a eye opener and the 2nd he really performed well as asked and expected. 

Will this give him a ride for next year and beyond? I have honestly no idea. I don't make those calls at all and dont have any influence. He Tour Slovakia starting now and then a series of 1 important 1 days and hopefully during that he will have a answer.

I speak obviously to him basically daily and as per Matt, he is super chilled. Loving the moment, learning, making mates and realizing how much of a different level these guys are on to anything else.

What happens happens I guess but if you dont try, you dont know.

Absolutely agree with this .

You mentioned a few posts back that Willie may have something sorted soon . Any news/update on that ??

Spoke yesterday and yes something on the cards but is waiting for a offer from another team hopefully before making a final call.

Bud, if I had to tell you the process from the Monday post Tour that went on to make sure we bounce back would give you nightmares. But to me, it showed how serious this team is, how they weren't resting on their results from Tour and got the small working group of people together to make sure we come out swinging at Vuelta. 

Agree whole heartedly on Willie, yes, we are really close mates but even if we weren't and I saw from the outside what he is doing, I would still say the same.

Congratulations on the performance of Pogocar thus far, the kid is doing amazing things! Seriously hope he hangs onto the White Jersey along with a podium position,

Congratulations on the performance of Pogocar thus far, the kid is doing amazing things! Seriously hope he hangs onto the White Jersey along with a podium position,

Thanks, Ive said it before to people but the kid is an enigma. Physiology / race craft etc he is incredible.

Discipline and commitment.

Your work ethic makes you the absolute best. (read grandpa still performing at 39)