Best / Lightest Non Carbon MTB Rims?

duanelr

Hi all,

what are some of the lightest mtb rims available locally that are not carbon?

looking at upgrading my current rims only but don't want to go carbon.

29er, modern widths for XC / stage races. 

Currently have the std rims that come with a 2018 scott spark 940. Not sure what they are or weigh because if i google the code on the rims it doesn't appear to match anything so I don't know the current weight :P

Thanks 

D

edit: photo attached

post-14753-0-02974900-1527683776_thumb.jpg

Edited by duanelr

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not carbon? For the same weight, a carbon rim would be stronger. When alloy rims start to get really light, they become really flexy and soft and dent// buckle/ bend very easily.

Arch mk3

Crests are lighter, but also more flimsy.

This. Taco'd the rims (well only the rear one if I'm being honest) on my 2017 Spark in a little lie down and replaced both of them with the Arch's and I'm really enjoying them so far.

Why not carbon? For the same weight, a carbon rim would be stronger. When alloy rims start to get really light, they become really flexy and soft and dent// buckle/ bend very easily.

a few riding friends have written off their carbon rims due to rock strikes (a few at wolwe , hakahanna and on the epic). I've had many rock strikes on my current rims and (luckily) it doesn't destroy the rim, just takes a small chip of paint off. so I'm all game for saving up and getting carbon rims but man i'd cry if i had to loose a rim due to a silly rock

If you're lucky enough to still find some, AC Wide Lightening.

The pair will be just over 1500g. 

+1

Had a set on my previous bike.  Now have Crest MK3 rims with the new Neo hubs.  Don't come close to the Wide Lightnings

a few riding friends have written off their carbon rims due to rock strikes (a few at wolwe , hakahanna and on the epic). I've had many rock strikes on my current rims and (luckily) it doesn't destroy the rim, just takes a small chip of paint off. so I'm all game for saving up and getting carbon rims but man i'd cry if i had to loose a rim due to a silly rock

If you do want carbon and it's just the rock strikes putting you off, have a look at cSixx - they have a 2 year no questions asked crash replacement warranty, and for 3 years thereafter I think a 50% reduction on replacement rims. Gives real peace of mind.

A mate of mine has a set of cSixx XCM rims, has done Epic, rides at Wolwe regularly, on the heavier side, and rides aggressively - his rims are still running 100% after more than a year and 10,000km.

I REALY want a set of their XCM rims, just a lack of funds that's holding me back at the moment.

AM Classic Race 29er's on my one bike, and AM Classic Wide Lightnings on the other bike. I dread the day I need to replace them because won't find anything better. The Race set is going on 6 years old now, a ding here and there and still perfect. Got the WL's 2nd hand, so don't know their history but I've put a year on them since and still perfect.

If you're lucky enough to still find some, AC Wide Lightening.

The pair will be just over 1500g. 

+1

If you are after every marginal gain, AC Race wheelset.

Comes in at 1459g.

I would also say American classic race just under 1500g the wide lightnings are awesome but closer to 1800g have even had a set of am28 they are little over 1600g and have the same hub's as the other 2.

I wouldn't touch the new Stan's wheels again had a set of crest mk3 they cracked around the nippels was replaced under warranty with arch mk3 was told the crest was a faulty batch and the arch did the exact same thing.

I would like to try the Lyne 25 or 30 next has anyone used a set have seen them at Evo the 25 looks rear good and very light and setup Tubeless already for under 6k well priced!

The race rims are too narrow, I'd go with the AC wide lightnings, the amount of extra grip and control you will have on the downhill far outweighs the few grams saved for the uphill. Some AC wide lightning hoops with DT swiss revolution double buttered spokes and those lyne hubs are a winning combination. (stans hubs are equally light)

+1

If you are after every marginal gain, AC Race wheelset.

Comes in at 1459g.