Desert Dash 2018

sias

Awfully quiet in these parts partydave.

Why could that be?

I suspect no one heard you post that question - we're all still deaf after 175kms of headwind into the ear canals. Or we're all still blind after the dust thrown up by support vehicles passing us on Us Pass descent (what overtaking rules?). 

I missed the brannas suiping dronk okes normally attending to us at the Stage 4 WP. Unless they had passed out already in the back of their bakkies?

The new disco at the Stage 5 WP was a nice surprise. Those ladies were jamming.

There was no riding line in the sand on Stage 6, except if you bundu bashed 100m to your left.

The 4kms extra on the pavement were a bit necessary I think. Kinda miss Tiger Reef as a finish - even if the waves washes over us on the pallets.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed that solo prize money only goes to Top 5 now. Kinda takes away some of the appeal of the event for me.

But otherwise, it's always a special event. Well organised. Highly recommended.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's this Hardegat Trophy that now lures me back I guess for the 5th time, but to start training now already? #toosoon. #can'tdeal

So you're back in next year?

I'm seriously considering doing a solo next year. Starting my training on Saturday

Edited by maidenmole

There's this Hardegat Trophy that now lures me back I guess for the 5th time, but to start training now already? #toosoon. #can'tdeal

Had the same thought about starting training too early, but when I laid back for a month the previous time, I ended up having my bike in storage for 7 months. Keeping the training going now as I have a good base....soon as the sores on my bum heal up

• 9 months later...

Can't seem to find a Desert Dash 2019 thread.

Thinking of maybe doing this, if I can find an entry. Anybody perhaps know of an available solo entry?

With 2 months to go, is there enough time to train for this race?

Easy peasy, I reckon if you start training on Wednesday the 4th of December, taper on Thursday the 5th and joining the starting line on the 6th you'll be just peachy  :whistling:.

I have no clue but I know that Dave is the man to talk to  :thumbup:

Can't seem to find a Desert Dash 2019 thread.

Thinking of maybe doing this, if I can find an entry. Anybody perhaps know of an available solo entry?

With 2 months to go, is there enough time to train for this race?

There are a few threads giving some good tips.

Enough time to train? Depends on your current fitness and ultra long distance experience.

There are a few threads giving some good tips.

Enough time to train? Depends on your current fitness and ultra long distance experience.

Getting an entry first would be a start.

I've done Trans Baviaans before. How does it compare? Managed to survive K2C this year.

Getting an entry first would be a start.

I've done Trans Baviaans before. How does it compare? Managed to survive K2C this year.

I found it much tougher than the TB; the K2C doesn't even feature - it's a nice funride.

With some longer rides and proper planning, you should be able to finish in time.

I found it much tougher than the TB; the K2C doesn't even feature - it's a nice funride.

With some longer rides and proper planning, you should be able to finish in time.

Tougher in terms of the extra distance? Or the terrain/road surface/conditions?

Tougher in terms of the extra distance? Or the terrain/road surface/conditions?

Distance and time. Road surface can be very corrugated in the last 3 stages.

First 160km is very tough as far as terrain goes as most of the climbing is done in the first 3 stages.

Dust from passing cars is also an issue.

First 160km is very tough as far as terrain goes as most of the climbing is done in the first 3 stages.

So around 2300m elevation in the first 160km if my rough calculation is correct. Om die Pot 100miler had 2600m elevation over 160km, which wasn't to bad. Road surface/conditions would obviously be the biggest difference between the two (other than overall distance).  

......and ad on the heat, and the wind!!

So around 2300m elevation in the first 160km if my rough calculation is correct. Om die Pot 100miler had 2600m elevation over 160km, which wasn't to bad. Road surface/conditions would obviously be the biggest difference between the two (other than overall distance).  

Sounds like you might just enjoy this - go for it!

Sounds like you might just enjoy this - go for it!

Just trying to draw some kind of comparison to rides that I have done. I know it's not like for like, just to get an idea, more or less. 

Most endurance events are more of a mental battle than a physical battle, from my own experience.