My hard tail

Howzit

I started MTBing in December and I have been riding a lot since then. 

This is my bike, I got it when I started last year:

vejS7QX.jpg

It's a 2018 GT Avalanche 29er I picked up at Sportsmans for R9k. I recently (a week ago) added a dropper post (Lyne Countour) and did a tubeless conversion and new tyres - Maxxis Ikon rear and Maxxis aggressor front. 

These upgrades have made a big diff (duh).

Howzit

I started MTBing in December and I have been riding a lot since then. 

This is my bike, I got it when I started last year:vejS7QX.jpg

It's a 2018 GT Avalanche 29er I picked up at Sportsmans for R9k. I recently (a week ago) added a dropper post (Lyne Countour) and did a tubeless conversion and new tyres - Maxxis Ikon rear and Maxxis aggressor front. 

These upgrades have made a big diff (duh).

Nice. I like. Enjoy

Thanks guy's. I've got flu atm. Quite annoying , I missed the Robertson 54km yesterday cos of it too. 

Amped to ride.

Sorry to hear. But take your time and recover fully before you ride again. This years flu is nasty..If you train before you are fully recovered, it bites you again. The second time it gets really nasty.

Great bike, and the dropper makes a world of difference! Keen to follow your journey. I have a GT Zaskar 29er, and am looking to switch to 1x11, and hopefully (if the geometry isn't affected) up my fork from the current 100mm to 140mm.

Great bike, and the dropper makes a world of difference! Keen to follow your journey. I have a GT Zaskar 29er, and am looking to switch to 1x11, and hopefully (if the geometry isn't affected) up my fork from the current 100mm to 140mm.

The geo will be affected. Never a good idea to up travel that much. Your seat angle will be slack, and the front end will wander when climbing. You will also void warranty.

Go for 120mm. You'll get the desired change without voiding warranty or ruining the bike's climbing ability.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I'd be lying if I said it had no issues. Had to replace the cassette , it was rubbish - teeth weren't grabbing the chain properly, this wore the chain which eventually snapped on the trails and I replaced that too. Also one of the cranks had to be replaced by sportsmans as it kept coming loose. 

But it's riding well now. I don't regret my choice. 

A good entry level bike to get you into the MTB way . Commitment to training , looking after your health , doing maintenance on the bike to avoid breakdowns on the trail and ofcourse the dreaded up grades  $$. Enjoy the sport its becomes a way of life soon . .