Training/riding on anti biotics

My doc put me on a 5 day course of Amoxycillin 500 mgs 3x a day, started on Thurs evening. Had a sore throat, swollen glands in neck and a cough. Today I am feeling well I'd say a 100% well. But I still have 4 more AB's left to take. 
After doing some googling I see these AB's aren't the type of AB's that would put me at greater risk for tendon damage. But I'm worried of possible heart strain.

Basically I am trying to decide whether to go do a +-20km MTB ride this evening and whether I can resume gymming tomorrow or whether I should wait until Wednesday when I will have finished the course of AB's.

Input would be appreciated. If there's a thread I missed on the subject mod's can merge it. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My doc put me on a 5 day course of Amoxycillin 500 mgs 3x a day, started on Thurs evening. Had a sore throat, swollen glands in neck and a cough. Today I am feeling well I'd say a 100% well. But I still have 4 more AB's left to take.

After doing some googling I see these AB's aren't the type of AB's that would put me at greater risk for tendon damage. But I'm worried of possible heart strain.

Basically I am trying to decide whether to go do a +-20km MTB ride this evening and whether I can resume gymming tomorrow or whether I should wait until Wednesday when I will have finished the course of AB's.

Input would be appreciated. If there's a thread I missed on the subject mod's can merge it.

How about, call the doc and ask him

I suspect you already know the answer to this... I'd wait until at least this coming weekend. Even though you "feel" well, the antibios are still doing their thing and you haven't recovered fully as of yet. 

My doc did say 5 days off training when I asked. 

I used to be a lazy fat dude 2 years ago who never exercised and ate a lot of junk and fast food. I lost a lot of weight with a spartan low carb high protein diet and a lot of training (5 days a week, sometimes 6 - but never less than 5).

So this taking time off doesn't sit well. 

I used to be a lazy fat dude 2 years ago who never exercised and ate a lot of junk and fast food. I lost a lot of weight with a spartan low carb high protein diet and a lot of training (5 days a week, sometimes 6 - but never less than 5).

penny smart pound foolish man...

is it worth not missing out on a week and dying next week because you couldn't wait? never ever ever exercise on bios, even if you don't feel weak afterwards- that heart strain leaves a mark

It'll sit better than heart strain. 

Don't be a douche. Sit this one out and revel in the sudden forced recovery. 

I get you. More than you know.

But I also know a few older people with serious heart problems. Make sure you take care of yours.

Look, I also have a GT mtb and I also miss riding it when I am sick but you are not becoming anyone's hero by riding when you not 100% 

This is one of those times that Rule #5 doesn't apply.

Also, don't 'hit it extra hard' on Wednesday.

Allow yourself and your body to ease back into training. Test the waters, see how you feel.

Put your pants back on over your undies and leave the cape at home. Seriously. 

When I read posts like this I often wonder why we as a country don't win more world championship medals with all the dedication to training going on here.

REALLY FAST, I suspect that the world will get along just fine if you take 10 days off to get over your illness, as will you, the Olympics are still a way off!

However, seeing as you asked me for my learned medical opinion, take 6 Panado, the tablet most recommended by GP's, and go out in the freezing cold for two hours of anaerobic - balls to the wall training.

Theres a mate that we have thats going onto antibiotics now because he is sick...

He's still planning to run comrades this weekend.

He didnt like it when I said his funeral will be next week Friday.

What more do I tell him??