PainCave "Fight Night" Powered By Buycycle.co.za - SA's ZWIFT Race

Christian van Zyl

Was my first race on NYC last night.

Must say that route kills the legs , much more difficult then I anticipated.

Good Racing all round however. :thumbup:

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was my first race on NYC last night.

Must say that route kills the legs , much more difficult then I anticipated.

Good Racing all round however. :thumbup:

The NYC course is the harder of the 3 in my eyes

I had to bail due to a family member going into hospital for a operation

I thought this series was finished but there was another race last night again. :wacko:

Was not as hard as usual as the front group did not work well at all and there was a definite lack of pace.

Was still good fun!

Any idea when this series actually completes etc etc???

I thought this series was finished but there was another race last night again. :wacko:

Was not as hard as usual as the front group did not work well at all and there was a definite lack of pace.

Was still good fun!

• 1 month later...

Was not as hard as usual as the front group did not work well at all and there was a definite lack of pace.

Was still good fun!

I'd also like to know what came of this

Edited by matthew_g_r

I'd also like to know what came of this

Seems to have gone very quiet the last few months of last year...

I even checked Pain Cave's website and facebook - no information at all - not even mentioning this event.

• 4 weeks later...

This event started 6 June 2018 and was supposed to run for 25 weeks, with best 10 results counting to final results. 21 November should have been the 25th event by my calculation. Results were definitely thrown a curve ball when we went through that stage of zwiftpower not working, but it would appear the series was abandoned while the fight night events were left in the Zwift rotation. Pity though, would have been nice to see some final results, looking back I managed to finish 17 of the 25, and one internet mechanical on the start line. 

Edited by Jay56

I think it is bad form when you have put your name and the name of your business on an event and then just abandon the event.

Hi guys, just some feedback from my side. Jay56 sort of summed it up.

What started as trying to get a virtual race series off the ground was hindered on a couple of fronts from the beginning.

Zwiftpower firstly being down and changing some of their rules in their update process (which impacted tracking the series) , the reluctance of people racing to sign up with Zwiftpower so we could easily access results, and last and not least the virtual doping (when we start seeing guys just managing to break a 3 hour 100km ride in real life beating the current u23 SA champ....we now somethings up).

The intention was to offer some cool prizes for category winners etc, but without validation of the rider and equipment, I saw this as a potential problem. We could look at forcing the top finalists into a studio to race against each other - but does that take away the fun element of all of this (some input would be appreciated??).

Saying as much I would like to look at getting the series up and going again, but I still need to address the above issues, which in my spare time I am are trying to get my head around - that's the reason its still in rotation on Zwift (it wasn't easy getting that spot). It would be great to hear some suggestions from you guys that are interested to help  get this to where we intended to.

Would be great to iron out the issues and see if we can do this properly come March or April this year.

What started as trying to get a virtual race series off the ground was hindered on a couple of fronts from the beginning.

Zwiftpower firstly being down and changing some of their rules in their update process (which impacted tracking the series) , the reluctance of people racing to sign up with Zwiftpower so we could easily access results, and last and not least the virtual doping (when we start seeing guys just managing to break a 3 hour 100km ride in real life beating the current u23 SA champ....we now somethings up).

The intention was to offer some cool prizes for category winners etc, but without validation of the rider and equipment, I saw this as a potential problem. We could look at forcing the top finalists into a studio to race against each other - but does that take away the fun element of all of this (some input would be appreciated??).

Saying as much I would like to look at getting the series up and going again, but I still need to address the above issues, which in my spare time I am are trying to get my head around - that's the reason its still in rotation on Zwift (it wasn't easy getting that spot). It would be great to hear some suggestions from you guys that are interested to help  get this to where we intended to.

Would be great to iron out the issues and see if we can do this properly come March or April this year.

Thanks for the reply to the topic but when there is no way to police an online event - it does create a real problem when you do not have any control.

Zwift is full of "cheaters" unfortunately and it really is up to the community to assist in flagging the cheaters. This however is very difficult when someone is very clever about the way they do cheat and only do enough to win.

I personally pedaled and pushed hard every event I entered and raced as hard as possible - sometimes sitting at the very limit or close to it for an hour or more - which was rewarding in itself to gauge oneself against others and push oneself further - I never got an outright win in a event though which would have been awesome.

The only way I see this can successfully (without cheaters) be done is to have all enter but you are only in line for the prizes when actually going to one of the studios to do the race there - this however might unfortunately kill the event anyway because many people have very busy lives and can not put the time aside to travel to a studio do the event and then travel home etc. etc.

Look forward to doing this again but maybe this time you can request eligible candidates to come to a studio to prove their worth or not be eligible for prizes? And also only do this for those who have registered somewhere on your website or something beforehand.

Then have a final in one of the studios for all those who is eligible and whom have proved their performance before the final in one of the studios.

Think the finals being held in a controlled environment is key. Look at zwift academy, you can partake, and as you progress through the stages, you are eligible to be invited to the finals (could be a 3 race final with points?) 

Then whoever has been cheating (really, online cheaters? oh boy.) will be exposed.

or just remove prizes all together, and let everyone just do whatever the fark they want. 

Ahhh Zwift. Full of 6 foot tall 55kg riders. Awesome.

Perhaps ask for a pic of them on a scale where the number on the scale is visible?

Cheating on Zwift is easy - you just type in the number you want. When you have to think about it and justify it then it gets a little harder. The harcore guys will fiddle with their scales of course.

The "final" can be a lekker gees thing at the studio to ensure honesty, expose the cheaters, cheer the leaders onand a nice marketing tool for the Cave.

They had one at my local Rapha club a few weeks back and it was awesome. People shouting at their favourite, drinking beer, DJ pumping out tunes etc.

Interesting wrt cheaters

Maybe with the backing of Zwift or whichever platform is being used a profile can be created from every session done for every rider, which can then be used to establish there ”real” capability or potential.

Also make heart rate compulsory, power is easy to cheat but heart rate not so easy....

For online racing just enjoy the racing, forget prizes and glory and then there is less incentive to cheat

and no one will care.

At the end of the day, as they say resistance is futile...

• 1 month later...

March/April has arrived.

Any thoughts to bring this back?