There's a neat new series done by Pinkbike, revolving around the benefits of becoming a fully sponsored team rider vs a full-on privateer. 

Adam, a Pinkbike staff member, has been supporting himself through EWS and other Enduro / MTB racing for a long time, but has never been able to dedicate the same amount of hours as the sponsored riders, nor get access to the new kit, enhanced training, support and logistical benefits as the pro's have on tap. This series aims to show how much of a difference the step to a fully sponsored ride & team can make to "Adam Average"

He's by no means a slouch, but up until now he's had to train when he can, and work to supplement it.

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErsgUPV08Ss

New episode is up. Looks like this guy is making progress and it's going to be interesting to see how the wheel size, suspension setup and confidence of knowing he's making progress in the gym is going to affect his performance on the next race day.

In the Pinkbike comments section of the previous episode some guys said that he should go see a psychologist because "it's all in the mind." I would like to see how that affects performance as well. 

It's been an interesting watch thus far. 

I do think that the chap has some unrealistic expectations. He's definitely no slouch, but thinking that you're going to turn into Rude or Hill after just some regimented training is far-fetched. 

It's been an interesting watch thus far. 

I do think that the chap has some unrealistic expectations. He's definitely no slouch, but thinking that you're going to turn into Rude or Hill after just some regimented training is far-fetched. 

I must have missed his personal expectations.

It's going to be interesting to see the end result - how much of a difference all this pro-level support makes to an average-fast rider. I think he's a prime example for this experiment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

yo, PB commentators ripping TP (adam) a huge new one because of his rather subdued demeanour during his visits to the manufacturers' factories that now support him as a factory rider.

instead of seeing his demeanour as something that disqualifies him from the series, i see this as further insight into the psychological aspects of being a racer. If it's not easy physically, then the psychological cost must be even higher. 

And because of the way psychological weaknesses are often perceived as failures, not aspects that can be strengthened, every effort is made to hide it. Wouldn't surprise me if his subdued demeanour is an expression of the psychological toll the series is taking on him.

yo, PB commentators ripping TP (adam) a huge new one because of his rather subdued demeanour during his visits to the manufacturers' factories that now support him as a factory rider.

instead of seeing his demeanour as something that disqualifies him from the series, i see this as further insight into the psychological aspects of being a racer. If it's not easy physically, then the psychological cost must be even higher. 

And because of the way psychological weaknesses are often perceived as failures, not aspects that can be strengthened, every effort is made to hide it. Wouldn't surprise me if his subdued demeanour is an expression of the psychological toll the series is taking on him.

Completely agree with you, Cap. 

I agree to a point as it can't be easy to get up to strength, fitness, race pace and have the head to cope with it all especially with the added pressure that you have been given this opportunity to be public put through your paces to get up to pro status... 

I reckon Adam just has a quiet demeanor and it's part of his personality, nothing wrong with that but what I think is apparent from this is that for sponsors they need someone who is charismatic and brand aware so it's not all about results etc but also about how you are in the public eye, with your sponsors, your team techs and and and... 

I actually had the same thoughts watching the last episode, he just didn't seem psyched at all on his new gear etc. I think he could have mustered up at least a bit more stoke for what they were showing him and giving him and doing for him.

Perhaps he just wasn't the right person to do this series with from an in the public eye perspective. Not that there is anything wrong with him or that he should be pulled apart for what is obviously his personality but from the point of view of the series and it's engagement they could have looked for another privateer (maybe younger) that was just on the cusp and needed the support but that also had the personality to match the racing aspect.

Look at Yoann Barelli and the other riders he's been riding with and getting coaching from, they have what a sponsor looks for, stoked, fun, engaging personalities that puts the brand in a good light and then backs it up with being at the top of their game race and ride wise.

All in all I really enjoy the series and I have enjoyed watching Adam get taken on the journey but personally I would have preferred to see someone that would be able to carry on after the series and take it to that next level and possibly retain the sponsors he's got help partnering with because they now find him such a great ambassador for the respective brands. I don't think Adam will be that guy.

Saying all this I don't know if they expected it to turn into such a well received and followed series so hadn't put as much long term thought into choosing the right Privateer in the first place.

I agree to a point as it can't be easy to get up to strength, fitness, race pace and have the head to cope with it all especially with the added pressure that you have been given this opportunity to be public put through your paces to get up to pro status... 

I reckon Adam just has a quiet demeanor and it's part of his personality, nothing wrong with that but what I think is apparent from this is that for sponsors they need someone who is charismatic and brand aware so it's not all about results etc but also about how you are in the public eye, with your sponsors, your team techs and and and... 

I actually had the same thoughts watching the last episode, he just didn't seem psyched at all on his new gear etc. I think he could have mustered up at least a bit more stoke for what they were showing him and giving him and doing for him.

Perhaps he just wasn't the right person to do this series with from an in the public eye perspective. Not that there is anything wrong with him or that he should be pulled apart for what is obviously his personality but from the point of view of the series and it's engagement they could have looked for another privateer (maybe younger) that was just on the cusp and needed the support but that also had the personality to match the racing aspect.

Look at Yoann Barelli and the other riders he's been riding with and getting coaching from, they have what a sponsor looks for, stoked, fun, engaging personalities that puts the brand in a good light and then backs it up with being at the top of their game race and ride wise.

All in all I really enjoy the series and I have enjoyed watching Adam get taken on the journey but personally I would have preferred to see someone that would be able to carry on after the series and take it to that next level and possibly retain the sponsors he's got help partnering with because they now find him such a great ambassador for the respective brands. I don't think Adam will be that guy.

Saying all this I don't know if they expected it to turn into such a well received and followed series so hadn't put as much long term thought into choosing the right Privateer in the first place.

i appreciate the sentiment that perhaps Adam could appear more enthused about recent developments, but is remember, this is the first time he has been exposed to this level of support. As part of the series, can he not also receive professional support in the PR department, someone that conditions his PR muscles as much as his physical ones?

The negative comments are coming across as assuming everyone should naturally have the same exuberance/stoke. thank heavens not, but it can be coached.

I think it would be a great addition to the growing aspect this series aims to document.

i appreciate the sentiment that perhaps Adam could appear more enthused about recent developments, but is remember, this is the first time he has been exposed to this level of support. As part of the series, can he not also receive professional support in the PR department, someone that conditions his PR muscles as much as his physical ones?

The negative comments are coming across as assuming everyone should naturally have the same exuberance/stoke. thank heavens not, but it can be coached.

I think it would be a great addition to the growing aspect this series aims to document.

That's actually a very good point and would have been a rad addition to the series. A lot of pro sports people have access to and use sports psychologists as it is stressful being at that level with tons of pressure - It's as much a mental as it is a physical game. Some people are obviously more natural and comfortable being at a higher level and engaging with all aspects of being at that level and some need more support from that side.