GX Eagle Cassette Cogs?

BurgermeesterB

Hey guys,

I broke a chain a few weeks back riding some of that momentum killing crap at Big Red Barn.

I didn’t think much of it after getting my chain back on, and for a few rides I was thinking that something is just way off with my shifting and it was just bugging me. Tonight I changed out my cable housing for nicer Shimano housing in orange and decided to to do the whole setup from scratch. When setting the high limit screw, I noticed a slightly bent tooth on my 50t cog.

Since it’s Alu, I knew it was unlikely to bend back, but it was in the way of smooth shifting for the 42t. So i gave it a shot. Figured I could slightly tug it out the way with some leather and pipe pliers. It just broke off.

Is it possible to replace only the one cog? I’m guessing it isn’t since the cogs are pinned together.

Do you think it is a really bad thing to ride like this for a couple of months until I can replace it? If I do this, do you have any recommendations to not cause any extreme wear on the chain?

I’m pretty disappointed because this groupset is basically brand new and I don’t have money to replace a Cassette now. This really sucks big time!

post-123509-0-19498400-1528231882_thumb.jpeg

I wouldn't let the chain run on that 50 tooth cog, some of the teeth next to the broken one don't look too good either.  If you decide to keep using the cassette it might be a good idea to set the limit screw to prevent you shifting onto the 50t.

You will experience issues with shifting as that broken tooth sits right on the shift ramp to lift the chain onto the 50t. Luckily the cassette has other shift ramps on it so you'll experience noisy shifting only when it tries to shift at this specific point on the cassette.

That broken/bent tooth shows that you were shifting under full power when you snapped your chain also?

You will experience issues with shifting as that broken tooth sits right on the shift ramp to lift the chain onto the 50t. Luckily the cassette has other shift ramps on it so you'll experience noisy shifting only when it tries to shift at this specific point on the cassette.

That broken/bent tooth shows that you were shifting under full power when you snapped your chain also?

Yeah, it was a stupid mistake. I was getting frustrated with the trail being mostly technical XC, up and down stuff. And I just wanted to get to some berms and jumps haha. So my own fault I guess. 

But either way, I'm more happy to have figured out why my shifting was so horrible the last two weeks. It's actually shifting totally fine at the moment though. 

Blend it out with a small finger file or sand paper

if it does not slip or do anything funny...

Ride it until the whole cassette needs to be replaced.

Thanx for this, that's what I was hoping to do. The damage has been done, I know. But I will just have to live with it considering it's still pretty new. That will give me some time and I can get a new chain and replace both at the same time then. 

Yeah, it was a stupid mistake. I was getting frustrated with the trail being mostly technical XC, up and down stuff. And I just wanted to get to some berms and jumps haha. So my own fault I guess.

But either way, I'm more happy to have figured out why my shifting was so horrible the last two weeks. It's actually shifting totally fine at the moment though.

In mountain biking, there is no time to be frustrated.

You learned that lesson the hard way.

Bend it back( slowly) , if it breaks, file it away and go on with your life.

Would heating it up with a lighter  / blow torch not prevent the breaking while bending it?

Wolftooth make some replacement granny cogs for the older 11 speed Sram cassettes, but I don't think for 12 speed, yet. Perhaps some other company does? It's a press-fit affair, but seems straightforward enough.

Ask a question on the Hub and get polar opposite responses based on, well we don't really know. Maybe the answer is to total up the "yes go ahead and ride it" vs the "no, you cant use the 50T anymore" responses and go with the majority? On second thoughts that could turn out like SA is at the moment....:-)  

Surely you just need to ride it gently and see whether it works or not? 

you can ride it BUT there is a very big risk of the broken tooth area passing the derailleurs upper guide pulley while shifting onto the 50T. The result will be the chain slipping through the gap and off the cassette into the spokes. Once lodged in there you should probably be left alone as the language you MAY use while trying to remove the chain while unwrapping the derailleur is unlikely to be unhealthy to sensitive viewers

I have had broken teeth on my Shimano granny gear, it is an area with so many teeth that the load gets distributed over so many, I think ride the thing, do a couple of test shifting to the 50T, and if no problems ride it, if there is a problem or you cannot come to terms with it, then you have to replace, its a GX right, not XX1 

Ask a question on the Hub and get polar opposite responses based on, well we don't really know. Maybe the answer is to total up the "yes go ahead and ride it" vs the "no, you cant use the 50T anymore" responses and go with the majority? On second thoughts that could turn out like SA is at the moment....:-)  

Surely you just need to ride it gently and see whether it works or not? 

Thats why we love the hub, some guys genuinely want to help, the other half are "just put the cassette on backwards" or "cut a few more off with an angle grinder to even it out".