FARR Gravel Frame-Kits - Cromo Frame and Fork

Farrnus

2 hours ago, Toasted marshmallows said:

This bike is very appealing lately... ticking the right boxes. Only curious has anyone built a racier spec of these???? Carbon fork? Sram etap? And light wheels?

Dont do it.

Built one up for the wife. Wish i spent R5k more and bought something better.

it works i guess, and does the job it was intended to do, But It looks and feels decidedly low budget once you have it next to something nicer…no matter the money you end up bolting to it.    

the paint flakes, the frame 100% needs to be prepped and reamed…all the threads need chasing, it’s HEAVY AF - (even comparing a 52cm to my 64cm steel bike) and if you order one you need to hold your breath that you’ll get everything in the box and not over 3 or 4 shipments after countless phone calls and photos lol.

so if you still want one…( and only need a 52cm) DONT buy it through takelot…because you’ll most probably than not have to deal with the guys from PE directly in any case.

They are super nice people though, the guys from TWT, they just got stuck with the remnants of this venture imo.

just skip this one. 

Edited by MORNE

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Dont do it.

it works i guess, and does the job it was intended to do, But It looks and feels decidedly low budget once you have it next to something nicer…no matter the money you end up bolting to it.    

the paint flakes, the frame 100% needs to be prepped and reamed…all the threads need chasing, it’s HEAVY AF - (even comparing a 52cm to my 64cm steel bike) and if you order one you need to hold your breath that you’ll get everything in the box and not over 3 or 4 shipments after countless phone calls and photos lol.

so if you still want one…( and only need a 52cm) DONT buy it through takelot…because you’ll most probably than not have to deal with the guys from PE directly in any case.

They are super nice people though, the guys from TWT, they just got stuck with the remnants of this venture imo.

just skip this one. 

Didn't Victor Momsen start Farr, Momsen and TWT?

So in reality TWT didn't really get stuck with Farr, it's just a different division of the same company.

I'd also skip this if you're wanting a racey bike. I'd say it makes a fantastic all day loaded gravel tourer.

CRC have some awesome Cinelli steel road bike frames with carbon forks at only a little bit more. I'd spend those extra pennies

Just looked intriguing those first few images on this bike. Nude frame with carbon fork. Thought hmmmm could be a cool n+1 got a sick cross bike and mtb amd ebike. Wanted to have a steel allroad do it all bike. Got a few 27.5 wheels and 29er wheels so thought could be a cool project. Currently abit hesitant....q

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

So in reality TWT didn't really get stuck with Farr, it's just a different division of the same company.

Sortof-maybe-but-not-really:  The answer to that is further back in this thread, somewhere. Around the time the farr account went silent. Anyway, meh. 

Don’t really want to waste any more energy on it. Not worth the R5k i paid for a R3k clearance frame  that once was sold for 9k but now costs 7k on takelot hehe.

Edited by MORNE

3 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Sortof-maybe-but-not-really:  The answer to that is further back in this thread, somewhere. Around the time the farr account went silent. Anyway, meh. 

Don’t really want to waste any more energy on it. Not worth the R5k i paid for a R3k clearance frame  that once was sold for 9k but now costs 7k on takelot hehe.

Google says that TWT was founded by Victor Momsen, who went on to found Momsen bikes. Farr is definitely a child of Victor Momsen.

Offices are/were all in the same PE business park.

Same same

15 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Google says that TWT was founded by Victor Momsen, who went on to found Momsen bikes. Farr is definitely a child of Victor Momsen.

Same same

Like this?😅

96155D6C-460F-45EA-9BC4-F19A9B18ABBD.gif

46 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Same same

Seems things went South when the Momsen family went Down Under ....

Looking at feedback since then it is not worth the trouble buying their old stock ....

Different story when dealing with the range of products TWT imports and distributes.

2 hours ago, Toasted marshmallows said:

Just looked intriguing those first few images on this bike. Nude frame with carbon fork. Thought hmmmm could be a cool n+1 got a sick cross bike and mtb amd ebike. Wanted to have a steel allroad do it all bike. Got a few 27.5 wheels and 29er wheels so thought could be a cool project. Currently abit hesitant....q

https://rookcycles.com/collections/rook-scout

consider one of these. They even come with sliding dropouts. Pity they dont sell them in SS version anymore. They sold complete for just slightly more than this frameset is now..like 8 or 9k. ive seen one in the flesh..They are really nice. Fit and finish punches way above price point. If your goal is just a N+1 cross bike that wont break the bank...you HAVE to consider the scout.

https://rookcycles.com/collections/rook-scout

borrowed @TyronLabs image from here:

PS: @Menno Schagen might have a rook scout frame still? or was that sold?

image.png.3017f1fa839b2d79b1b318397e18d9f0.png

Edited by MORNE

17 hours ago, Toasted marshmallows said:

This bike is very appealing lately... ticking the right boxes. Only curious has anyone built a racier spec of these???? Carbon fork? Sram etap? And light wheels?

The frame is flat mount and fork is post mount, so getting your brakes sorted can be a PITA as you have to get an adapter.

15 hours ago, MORNE said:

Dont do it.

just skip this one. 

I'm really happy with mine as a gravel killer, and am in the process of building up a second wheelset for the road.

FYI - I'm not such a stickler for this, but the paintwork on mine is not durable at all quite a few chips and scratches from both riding and bikeracks. i will need to do some touchup on it - any hints advice/similiar experience here from other owners?.

the obligatory bike setup photo is what this thread is really about

AM-JKLV3uxLk6hs7-l0TSwpOF5iOvqz6grA4kWM2PxmE7L2T2Q93knzJ4JyfTqLk4ggmmjuSlAqBbM1OdgLZdI-4i3JYsH_YcA=w834-h625-no?authuser=0

15 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

yup, and you can add MUNA kids range to the list too.  I'm not sure who the local ops are owned run by, but the Momsen brand seems pretty jacked currently so things should work in principle.

• 6 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 5:57 PM, MORNE said:

Dont do it.

just skip this one. 

Out of interest, did you weigh this bike at any point? I'm assuming its the fork that's the heavy bit?

I'm also interested in the tyre clearance, any comments on how much clearance there is with 700x45s?

39 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

Out of interest, did you weigh this bike at any point? I'm assuming its the fork that's the heavy bit?

I'm also interested in the tyre clearance, any comments on how much clearance there is with 700x45s?

Had 700 x 50 Panaracer on plenty clearance on the frame .

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

Ill weight it for you just now. Here are the specs so long

52cm frame and fork, yes the fork is pretty heavy.

40T - GRX 812 cranks, 105 shifters, TRP spyre brakes, XT m8000 rear mech, 11-46 casette, rapide bars, raceface turbine stem and seatpost, shimano 540 pedals, Lyne Pulse 28 spoke wheels. 40c maxxis rambler. Soez power saddle and a top tube bag.

I have 50c panaracers on my bike but on hope rims (21mm internal…maybe they’ll fit,) but they wont on the wider lyne rims. Even the 40c on that go up big.

Edit: 12KG on the dot. For reference, my 64cm steel Soma wolverine is 11kg. My XL steel cotic rocket 160mm enduro bike is 15kg

carbon fork would easily take off 1kg

7FADA30E-9810-4399-866D-4B6370BD2047.jpeg

A790B691-7783-43CF-8C7B-B27A77A7AFCB.jpeg

52483429-E973-4057-9CA1-639B4C74136C.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

On 10/30/2022 at 12:36 PM, Toasted marshmallows said:

Happy I went the 26er conversion route for a gravel bike... the mixed reaction was a huge no go for me 

glad you feel better about that!