South African Lill joins Navigators

Francois

From Cyclingnews.com

"The Navigators team has improved its climbing power by signing South African Darren Lill to its team for 2007. This year, Lill wore the King of the Mountains jersey at such races as the Tour de Langkawi and the Giro Del Capo. Lill will be the first South African to join the American outfit.

Lill previously rode for teams Barloworld, HSBC, and Microsoft, but was left without a contract at the end of the 2005 season. Discussions with a major team fell through last year, so Lill missed the chance to sign with a European Continental team. Too late to find a team for 2006, Lill split his time between racing for Schwinn in his native South Africa and the National team in international events such as the Tour de Langkawi , Tour of Qinghai Lake and the World Championships.

Darren is happy to have signed a contract with Navigators for 2007 and forward to meeting his new team-mates and racing with them in Europe and the US. Navigators was one of several teams making offers to Lill."

It will be interesting to see how he fits into the American setup - I hope it all goes well for him.

Saw that this morning.  Great news for him.  Navigators are well paid riders (relatative to European Pro/Continental teams overapid) and have a well organised setup.  They do a fair number of good races around the world, so it will be interesting to see how many Lill has on his program.

That's pretty cool that he's taking a different route by going to America instead of the regular route of going to Europe.

Since America is so commercially driven he'll get more coverage there than he would in Europe. Also the only language he'll have to learn is slang.

Are you refering to Postal......I think George did like one race in the states (Redlands Classic)......surely you can consider that a Euro team ?

Guest colonel

They all have *** attitudes so he will be Captain of America???

IMO Darren is a normal chilled, nice guy. Maybe some hubbers turned a little green when they saw his wife-to-be Michelle....

Guest colonel

IMO Darren is a normal chilled' date=' nice guy. [/quote']

Like his attitude after SA's towards Fullard and the rest of his team? Lank nice guy!

Sorry I was speaking from my limited experience racing with him.

Didnt go to SA's.... what did he do there? flip them the bird or what?

I think that like most sportsman he has a high self belief, which perhaps some people percieve as arrogance...

quite right, you need to be a little arrogant.....

so Lill signed, Hunter unisigned.....

Guest colonel

Alittle more than that but hey everyone to themselves at the end of the day.