Wahoo kicker first impression

guylrc

Madone69,

I'm in the market for a direct drive trainer and was looking as the Neo. Can you recommend it?

Hi Nikki.

Yes, I will not hesitate to recommend the Tacx Neo. I have not had a single issue since i have it as well as three other friends who also have the Neo. ( in fact one of them got rid of his Kicker for the Neo.) I had a PowerBeam which was fine and the backup service from Dave is excellent but Neo is just way ahead.

There is so much going on with the Neo which have been explained and analysed by so many reviewers. I think the Neo is your top trainer followed by the rest. Sure there have been issues experienced by some but i think this have been sorted some time back.

IMO - if you can afford the Neo - you will not be disappointed.  (just do a google search on reviews/comparisons on smart trainers or DC Rainmaker) 

(in any case each to his own)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like my topic has got a lot of interest. Wahoo have been very accommodating and the local agent in Cape Town has lent me his personal Wahoo Kickr whilst they test mine. The first impression on this unit is totally different starting from the cassette running without grinding noise (I have a new chain), followed by the fact that the power is consistent and accurate!! So it appears to have been my brand new Kickr that was at best temperamental or worse faulty. I await the guys at Wahoo Kickr to let me know. I would say that after much discussion with many people, these units can be temperamental if you are unlucky.

I just want to add on the debate particularly with connection problems.

I have the kickr 3. My setup is in my network office. ant+ connection to a desktop with Garmin ant+ dongle. I use a Garmin Tri hr belt and old Garmin gsc10 cadence sensor.

This all links to zwift where I do my interval training. I would get intermittent connection loss to the kickr where power dropped to 0 in zwift. Yet, cadence and hr still reading in zwift.

I would also link to an Edge 820 to log the workout to Garmin Connect which uploads to Discovery for my points. The zwift to Garmin Connect does not load into Discovery.

And to top it off, my telkom lte router is in this office. So there is alot of signals flying around in the room

I update kickr firmware last week. And then zwift is a nightmare. Power drops every 20 to 30 seconds.

Turns out after contacting both zwift and kickr support that the 2.4ghz wifi frequency interferes with the ant+ connection to the power meter. I've switched it off, stopped logging to the edge, only connecting edge to hr for Discovery points.

Not once did the signal drop for my last 2 interval training sessions.

Keep the above in mind. If you getting power dropoffs

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

If your router supports it you can try setting your wifi to 5ghz

So my unit was faulty and the new one works fine. My WiFi router is close by but new unit so far is uneffected. Would only fault the cassette on the new Wahoo as they don’t run well with a new Dura Ace chain (they are a cheap Scram casette). Have put my own cassette on and all good,

So my unit was faulty and the new one works fine. My WiFi router is close by but new unit so far is uneffected. Would only fault the cassette on the new Wahoo as they don’t run well with a new Dura Ace chain (they are a cheap Scram casette). Have put my own cassette on and all good,

Sounds like one of those times when the point is clearly made why it is best to buy from a local rep, where there is support if things go pear shaped. Glad it got sorted out.

Think quiet a few users now also know more about these trainers than before