[Event] 2019 Momentum Health Tankwa Trek, Presented By Biogen

Dryland Event Management

Event Name: 2019 Momentum Health Tankwa Trek, Presented By Biogen
When: 7 February 2019 - 10 February 2019
Where: Kaleo Guest Farm, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Winding through the beautiful Bokkeveld and Witzenburg areas, this race features unique scenery, warm hospitality and tough yet exhilarating riding. This is the heart of deciduous fruit country.

A region known for its unforgiving summers and harsh winters, trails through rocky outcrops, climbs steeper than the imagination can fathom and descents with a wicked technical twist combined with views to cherish forever. Trails – some hand built and smoothly sculpted, others rough and loose – always reward the adventurous. Join us this summer and experience the ride of a lifetime!

Go to Event Page

hubevents-102195-0-56118100-1528367099_thumb.jpg

hubevents-102195-0-02475000-1528367112_thumb.jpg

hubevents-102195-0-85504000-1528367123_thumb.jpg

hubevents-102195-0-10995900-1528367135_thumb.jpg

Can't believe no comments... I think this is awesome!  Nice warm-up.

Did the 2018 event and it is most definitely one of the best MTB rides in SA. Probably not ideal for 'beginners' but proper awesome riding, awesome track and nice setup. Definitely a step up on all the more manicured rides.

A must do. Who wouldn't like an extra mini day when you anyhow have traveled far?

I have entered for the 2019 event - keen to do something new after all the Sani's and W2W's etc. Adding an extra stage certainly makes for better value for money.

Really looking forward to this!

• 7 months later...

So, this event is around the corner and my excitement and nervousness is building.

I have read the race reports and watched a few videos, so am looking forward to good single tracks which hopefully makes the big climbs worth the effort. Definitely nervous of the vertical meters and hope that it doesn't get too hot.

Anyone else riding ?

Also entered .

Have done a few Sani's , W2W's and a Jhb2C , but for some reason I am more nervous about this one ?

I think I am dreading the sleeping in a tent in the heat more than anything else ??

I am really looking forward to the trails though . Only heard good things about the riding ( sans the climbing ) .

Knowing there was gonna be some serious climbing waiting for me was a huge motivation to train through the holidays . ( not that I think I did enough though - when will it ever be enough ? :wacko: )

So, this event is around the corner and my excitement and nervousness is building.

I have read the race reports and watched a few videos, so am looking forward to good single tracks which hopefully makes the big climbs worth the effort. Definitely nervous of the vertical meters and hope that it doesn't get too hot.

Anyone else riding ?

Hey Splat, enjoy man! Its a great race. Got a bit of FOMO thinking back now.  Let us know how it went. All I can say is, the Merino Monster is...a monster. Don't go to hard before it. The second part after you go passed the waterpoint is steep! Hope your'e geared for the occasion. 

The last day is also awesome, If the route still goes through that Morester farm, Its amazing. 

It gets hot !! and the climbs are steep .90% of Merino can be walked if your gearing is wrong, but you can still end midfield .Enjoy !

It can definitely get hot....but weather can be unpredictable. Especially on top of the Merino.

Overall great race, and the addition of a prologue is awesome too. It is a technical event though, so prepare for that - if needed with skills course. Coming down Merino is steep and requires commitment in parts. Day four is mainly single track fun (after a a longish gravel road ride there).

Pick a tent which is well positioned for dawn and dusk and you will be fine, even if it is hot. Enough shade around. The chill area will have bean bags etc.

Maybe I'll see you all there!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. What an event!

Dryland were great hosts and the Kaleo farm was a good venue.

That terrain is harsh! Beautiful green farms, but everything in between is rock and sand and dust. Climbs and descents are steep. Most of the singletrack is quite technical (except for yesterday) - you have to concentrate all the time. Descents were awesome. Loved those - especially down from the Merino Monster Mast. Rocks just want to throw you off or eat your tyres. Even the plants are too scared to grow above knee height.

I am very glad to say that I am a finisher (given the drop out rate) but am totally shattered today