SUPPORT JASON - Good 2 Go

Lance Roberts

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recieved this update yesterday (Tuesday):

Jay is wide awake now. He is in good spirits and chatting. He’s very positive. 
We’ve had a long chat with 3 of the 4 doctors that were involved in the operation. It’s still too early to determine the level of Jays disability and they say that the next five days will be a stabilizing period, that is, blood pressure, breathing and heart rate. Once he is stable he will go to Hillcrest to the step down facility where they will work on him and any potential mobility. He has severe chord damage but we will remain positive and although prognosis is not great there is still a lot of swelling and trauma to settle and the human body is a magnificent machine that can surprise us and defy all odds.
Edited by Super_mil

• 3 weeks later...

Recieved this update yesterday (Tuesday):

Jay is wide awake now. He is in good spirits and chatting. He’s very positive. 
We’ve had a long chat with 3 of the 4 doctors that were involved in the operation. It’s still too early to determine the level of Jays disability and they say that the next five days will be a stabilizing period, that is, blood pressure, breathing and heart rate. Once he is stable he will go to Hillcrest to the step down facility where they will work on him and any potential mobility. He has severe chord damage but we will remain positive and although prognosis is not great there is still a lot of swelling and trauma to settle and the human body is a magnificent machine that can surprise us and defy all odds.

I've been in China for the last two weeks and cut off from the rest of the world without internet. What update is there on Jason's progress?

• 2 weeks later...

The latest update I have received...

Sent by his sister.

"Hi guys

As you can probably tell from the exciting news of recent visits Jay is feeling a lot better!! He requested that my sister shave his goatee and hair as he was getting very itchy! Big move from the man as he was trying to grow that tail thing at the front haha he wanted to plat it! They’re looking at changing his respirator to one that will make it possible for him to talk!! Fingers crossed that will happen soon. Other news they are letting him drink thickened juice which is awesome, hopefully at some point he will be able to be fed orally!! He can’t wait for real food. In terms of physio he is one of very, very few they have had who as quadriplegics can hold their own heads up and sit upright in a wheelchair! He’s so strong!! He still has trouble breathing which can be scary. He’s feeling a lot more positive which is awesome!! So glad he felt well enough to have some neatest and dearest visitors, it makes my heart happy. Still doctors and Jays choice for visitors at this point but I will let you know as soon as that changes.

He’s obviously still in ICU and I’m not sure if I mentioned but he’s likely to be there for a few months. He’s working so hard though, who knows? He’s managed to get out in the sun a bit, it’s a whole lot of work to get out there and has to be carefully managed by one of his ICU doctors, as well as nursing and physio team. They are freaking amazing!!!! They are so wonderful. Sunshine makes such a difference to Jay."

Some progress!!  :clap:

Once again a msg from his sister.

"Hi all, hope you’re all doing well. Jay’s doing well! They’ve changed out his ventilator to one he can talk with!! I got to video call him last night, and he could talk to me!! I was so excited that I was a bit loud and my two boys woke up and they also got to talk to their uncle!! Can’t even explain how unbelievably amazing that was, as I said to Jay he’s made my life. So, more good news, he spent 3 hours total completely off the ventilator yesterday!! So an hour in the morning, afternoon and evening!! Today they will increase it a bit more. The end goal is that he’ll be completely off it eventually. While he was off it his stats were perfect! He had learnt how to talk with the ventilator comfortably by the evening. A-frickin-mazing!! We are all so proud of him. He has also had a small amount of normal food puréed. They’re going to keep trying with that, he had chicken yesterday (mushed up) and apparently it was delicious. His lack of movement remains the same, but he’s still working really hard at physio so we’ll keep believing that it can and will happen. He periodically gets quite down, it’s a roller coaster for him with having so much time to think. He’ll get there though, my mum and sister are doing a wonderful job of looking after him.  He is obviously still in ICU. Jay loves getting messages, photos etc from you all. Thanks for the love all. Have a beautiful day!"

• 4 weeks later...

This is from his sister Thursday last week:

If you’re lucky and paying attention there are moments in life when something really jumps out at you and makes you reevaluate your life and how you live it. A moment of awareness that screams at you, do more, live well, try and try again. A moment that will strike you as life changing for you or for someone you love. One that will fill you with a feeling that maybe, just maybe everything will be okay! Watching this video was one of those moments for me. My brother, using every single day he has been given to better himself. To fight and keep fighting until his muscles feel like they’re burning and exhaustion leaves him bone tired. He doesn’t do this once or twice, no he does it for hours and hours every day! Yesterday he had a really low blood pressure so had to go back to his room. Once there he had some tea and biscuits, they seemed to do the trick. He then said I want to go back to gym! And back he went!! That is what is going to allow his dream of walking out of that hospital on his own two feet become a reality. He feels that with every fibre of his being. As far as he’s concerned there is no plan B! There is only plan get yourself on your feet and move forward! He makes these forward leaps everyday!! He is an absolute beast. At the end of this when he is where he wants to be he will live with the absolute certainty that he can do ANYTHING he puts his mind to! That is a gift! 
At the moment he is learning how to push his own wheelchair!!!!!! - drops the mike! ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Hope you all have an amazing weekend and in the words of my brother - ride the sh!t out of those bikes.

Unfortunately I can't seem to post the vid from Facebook, but Jason is starting to be able to get small movements in his leg when it's suspended in a sling (obviously some physio contraption)  :clap:

This is from his sister Thursday last week:

If you’re lucky and paying attention there are moments in life when something really jumps out at you and makes you reevaluate your life and how you live it. A moment of awareness that screams at you, do more, live well, try and try again. A moment that will strike you as life changing for you or for someone you love. One that will fill you with a feeling that maybe, just maybe everything will be okay! Watching this video was one of those moments for me. My brother, using every single day he has been given to better himself. To fight and keep fighting until his muscles feel like they’re burning and exhaustion leaves him bone tired. He doesn’t do this once or twice, no he does it for hours and hours every day! Yesterday he had a really low blood pressure so had to go back to his room. Once there he had some tea and biscuits, they seemed to do the trick. He then said I want to go back to gym! And back he went!! That is what is going to allow his dream of walking out of that hospital on his own two feet become a reality. He feels that with every fibre of his being. As far as he’s concerned there is no plan B! There is only plan get yourself on your feet and move forward! He makes these forward leaps everyday!! He is an absolute beast. At the end of this when he is where he wants to be he will live with the absolute certainty that he can do ANYTHING he puts his mind to! That is a gift! 

At the moment he is learning how to push his own wheelchair!!!!!! - drops the mike! ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Hope you all have an amazing weekend and in the words of my brother - ride the **** out of those bikes.

Unfortunately I can't seem to post the vid from Facebook, but Jason is starting to be able to get small movements in his leg when it's suspended in a sling (obviously some physio contraption)  :clap:

Thanks for the updates!!

Feeling a little ***...... I entered Tour de Krantz on Saturday but decided there is no way I am riding in cold, wet & muddy conditions. So I stayed in bed. Now I'm thinking what Jason would have done....... Our day to day concerns are nothing compared to what he must be going through. You have to get through this Jason! You have to ride again! 

• 2 weeks later...

A truncated message from Jay's sister. I've only kept the part of the message directly related to Jay.

Jay’s a bit down at the moment but otherwise doing well. I think he is at times frustrated and angry but that is a part of the grief process and is important for him to go through. He is getting a lot of support from my sister, mum, the boys and his friends. He sat by himself on the bed for 5 minutes the other day! He doesn’t realise how freaking awesome that is!! So proud of him! PS if any of you are out riding today I’d love some videos of your adventures. Jay finds them so motivational!!

post-3245-0-12558700-1535961026_thumb.jpeg

I was fortunate enough to see Jay a week or so ago and he really is doing well. It was great to talk to him and hear how psyched he still is.  :thumbup:  

Like his sister says, he feels like the progress is slow. I reminded him that only a couple weeks ago he wasn't talking (due to the trache) and still flat on his back, so his progress has been nothing short of remarkable!!! He's working flippen hard to get himself mobile again.