Carbon frame with deep linear scratch

Dirkitech

Hello Bikehub,

This weekend I was reminded why shallow cornering is a risky business. My right shifter and frame took damage and I'm unsure whether it's safe enough to ride the frame as is.
From the pictures added, the handlebar twisted around, causing the shifter to grind/scratch along the width of the top tube. There is a bit of white tippex from a previous fall to see if the frame cracked further back then. This time round the entire paint surface is breached and the carbon seems slightly chipped/damaged.
My question is if you all think it's safe to continue riding, that I just tippex it again and monitor it, or am I waiting for a snapped frame on the next hard hit?

I would normally take it to Stephen at Macarbi, but my office hours won't enable me to get to him during the week working days. Does anyone know of a carbon expert around the Ferndale, Linden, Blairgowrie, Bryanston areas?

post-51185-0-30779700-1528865478_thumb.jpg

post-51185-0-58409800-1528865495_thumb.jpg

post-51185-0-99844100-1528865515_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dirkitech

That is touch and go... very hard to say from pics whether it is safe or not. My advice would be to take it to a carbon expert and ask them to have a look - you don't want to be on the bike when your top tube snaps. Even if it is safe - it's just good to have the peace of mind that comes with an expert "signing off" on it.

Get that fixed asap - looks like a terminal failure is to be expected if you don't get it sorted.

Take some time off and take it to Macarbi - or send it to cycleart or graeme kidson in natal - Bogus_0ne in the cape.

based on the images at those angles: cosmetic damage.

CF is a composite, the strength of which lies in the multiple strands of CF bonded together by epoxy or whatever bonding agent used. Unless the frame manufacturer was unscrupulous regarding the layers to the point there's near zero safety factor built into the frame's various tubes, scratching or even cutting one or two fibers near the surface will not degrade structural strength to any significant degree.

just my 2c.

That is touch and go... very hard to say from pics whether it is safe or not. My advice would be to take it to a carbon expert and ask them to have a look - you don't want to be on the bike when your top tube snaps. Even if it is safe - it's just good to have the peace of mind that comes with an expert "signing off" on it.

Get that fixed asap - looks like a terminal failure is to be expected if you don't get it sorted.

Take some time off and take it to Macarbi - or send it to cycleart or graeme kidson in natal - Bogus_0ne in the cape.

Have it evaluated and if terminal, claim a new one from your insurance. The excess is far cheaper than a repair.

based on the images at those angles: cosmetic damage.

CF is a composite, the strength of which lies in the multiple strands of CF bonded together by epoxy or whatever bonding agent used. Unless the frame manufacturer was unscrupulous regarding the layers to the point there's near zero safety factor built into the frame's various tubes, scratching or even cutting one or two fibers near the surface will not degrade structural strength to any significant degree.

just my 2c.

Thank you, all of you :thumbup: 

I've gotten quotes to repair and an insurance claim for the frame may be looming, but at the very least if it is deemed safe to use after an inspection, I'll report to insurance so that there is a paper trail for the frame.

Today was a good day learning about insurance and why I'm paying it.

Thank you, all of you :thumbup:

I've gotten quotes to repair and an insurance claim for the frame may be looming, but at the very least if it is deemed safe to use after an inspection, I'll report to insurance so that there is a paper trail for the frame.

Today was a good day learning about insurance and why I'm paying it.

Insurance is one thing I will never complain about paying again. My Mtb's carbon frame developed a crack in the seat tube, and CycleSure replaced it no questions asked - it was a $h!t ton of money - really happy it didn't come out of my pocket.

Take some time off and take it to Macarbi - or send it to cycleart or graeme kidson pin natal - Bogus_0ne in the cape.

+1 on Graeme Kidson. The man is a genius with carbon repairs