Thought I'd try a 29er for a trail bike....

And ended up with a floor full of parts that looked like this:

post-27911-0-64592500-1528984637_thumb.jpg

Build went quite smoothly at around 3 hours.  And ridden about 75km on it so far in the past week.  Lots of playing around still to do on suspension, but finally when I get a break from work and travel will take some proper pics of it.

Key takeaways:

• I dont like Eagle.  It's my first non-Shimano bike.  Shifter ergonomics modelled on Zuma's economics policies I'm sure.
  • Those who say it feels like a 650b, are spot on.  Much nicer than other 29er's I tried.
  • I fitted the tyres on the rims and pumped them up to pop with a hand pump.  :thumbup:
  • Only thing to still do is to tidy up the brake hose lengths and bleed.

More pics on weekend. :ph34r:

I'll take the Eagle off your hands then ;)

Congrats - super nice build! That is my favourite trail frame at the moment.

What an absolute beaut!

Can't wait to see more pics

In fact, scrap that.

Where and when do you ride? As I would like to see this build in person!

Edited by SuperDooperSnooper

Wow now that is 1 sweet mess to have. It's nice to see something different. Can't wait to see the photos will most definitely be impossible to miss it out on the trails.

"Shifter ergonomics modelled on Zuma's economics policies I'm sure"

The lever on the XO shifter is adjustable.

And XX, which makes them just about the most awesome shifters on the planet, went from Xtr to XX, finally I can get perfect shifter positioning. Granted that was 10sp so maybe eagle is different.

I'm also on a Primer, fantastic bike. In my 28 years of riding this is the first frame I got on and everything felt right. Perfect balance and very very capable machine. I am generally a bit lazy(unfit), but with this bike a 50km day in Jonkers is a breeze, you just want to keep going and going...I am also not so big on the Eagle, even with a 34T blade, you easily spin out on the DH...but then again thankful on the climbs to have that 50t.

Enjoy, very nice setup you have there

Edited by MDK!

And XX, which makes them just about the most awesome shifters on the planet, went from Xtr to XX, finally I can get perfect shifter positioning. Granted that was 10sp so maybe eagle is different.

Yes, positioning the lever is great, but after years of XTR, being able to use my index shifter to downshift is something I miss properly, and shifting down more than one at a time - absolutely insane that SRAM have not implemented this.  Feel of shifters is also very clicky and cheap that I do not like.

In fact, scrap that.

Where and when do you ride? As I would like to see this build in person!

Tokai is my home trail, so anytime, lets hit a ride.   My work schedule rules this out for the next week or so, but going to try and hit one this weekend if rain gives a gap (or not)...

Yes, positioning the lever is great, but after years of XTR, being able to use my index shifter to downshift is something I miss properly, and shifting down more than one at a time - absolutely insane that SRAM have not implemented this. Feel of shifters is also very clicky and cheap that I do not like.

Tokai is my home trail, so anytime, lets hit a ride. My work schedule rules this out for the next week or so, but going to try and hit one this weekend if rain gives a gap (or not)...

I had those exact same feelings myself initially but you get used to it, being able to perfectly position the lever trumped all that for me.

I'm also on a Primer, fantastic bike. In my 28 years of riding this is the first frame I got on and everything felt right. Perfect balance and very very capable machine. I am generally a bit lazy(unfit), but with this bike a 50km day in Jonkers is a breeze, you just want to keep going and going...I am also not so big on the Eagle, even with a 34T blade, you easily spin out on the DH...but then again thankful on the climbs to have that 50t.

Enjoy, very nice setup you have there

I was about to post very similar sentiments. After 9 months on mine I still love it. Climbs like an absolute beast and makes me look very talented on single track. Running 11 speed XT on mine as I'm not a fan of sram shifters.

I was about to post very similar sentiments. After 9 months on mine I still love it. Climbs like an absolute beast and makes me look very talented on single track. Running 11 speed XT on mine as I'm not a fan of sram shifters.

Awesome.   Spend a lot of time working in KZN near Umhlanga, if close, will bring bike and you can show me some trails!  Take the Primers for some bonding time. haha

Only really know those down South Coast, used to ride with Burry and his family years and years ago.