Tacx Genius trips the mains?!

mecheng89

Good morning to all Hubbers,

It's Friday, yay!

To those of you who are familiar with TrainerRoad and the Ebbetts workout, it requires a 5 second sprint at about 150% FTP at set times as the workout progresses. So yesterday while I was busy with my workout, I got to the the first 5s interval, and my Eskom power trips! When I went to be DB I noticed my mains switch had not tripped, but the mains of the prepaid meter had! Flicked the switch back on with no issue but did not attempt the workout again. It did however say on the little display "earth unsafe". 

Does anyone have the first clue as to why this might be? 

The trainer runs on it's own dedicated socket in the wall, nothing else (in that room) was on at the time

Maybe it's the plug on trainer that's faulty

Pretty certain if the cable was faulty the trainer would not work at all. It's the standard cable that came with the trainer. But it's a possibility. 

At steady state power the trainer works 100%. 

In that case, Can't you hook it up to the Mains? "Honey I told you my many hours cycling, would benefit the entire family".....

Sorry I am out of yokes right now but I do know about electricity.

Mains 'switches' (Circuit breakers, Isolators, Overload Protectors) will trip if the current passing through exceeds the  rated value, normally 63A, which is unlikely.

However Earth Leakage Units will trip if the current going back in the Neutral is not equal to the current being fed from the Live. So you might have an issue there which could be unsafe, if the touchable surface is live and then you touch something that is earthed, current will flow an you might cook

Edited by kosmonooit

Makes me think of the German track cyclist with those enormous thighs, he was floored when generating enough power to toast a slice of bread. Problem this time of the year is electric heaters, and stove heating elements turned on to act as heaters.

Should also add the main switch might also have an Earth Leakage protection, sometimes its combined, other times its separate since not all circuits need ELP according to the SANS codes

You have tried the obvious and put another appliance on the socket to make sure its not just the socket thats at fault?

Should also add the main switch might also have an Earth Leakage protection, sometimes its combined, other times its separate since not all circuits need ELP according to the SANS codes

Makes me think of the German track cyclist with those enormous thighs, he was floored when generating enough power to toast a slice of bread. Problem this time of the year is electric heaters, and stove heating elements turned on to act as heaters.

Sorry I am out of yokes right now but I do know about electricity.

Mains 'switches' (Circuit breakers, Isolators, Overload Protectors) will trip if the current passing through exceeds the  rated value, normally 63A, which is unlikely.

However Earth Leakage Units will trip if the current going back in the Neutral is not equal to the current being fed from the Live. So you might have an issue there which could be unsafe, if the touchable surface is live and then you touch something that is earthed, current will flow an you might cook

So..........what do you recommend I do to investigate?

So..........what do you recommend I do to investigate?

What Mojoman said... process of elimination.

Try the trainer in another wall socket

Try an appliance in the same problematic socket

One by one you eliminate all possibilities.

Is the plug sealed, or is it a self-installed plug

What is the condition of the cable? Does it have any kinks, squashed sections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Frosty

You have tried the obvious and put another appliance on the socket to make sure its not just the socket thats at fault?

When I turned the trainer on the light was flashing, so there was current to the trainer. 

When I turned the trainer on the light was flashing, so there was current to the trainer.

Does not mean there's current it's working all fine, like the previous guys said check cable for any twist or bends it might be shorting inside cable when there's movement on trainer could be many things but start eliminating