[Event] 2019 Swartberg 100 Fondo's

@BigJohnSwan

Event Name: 2019 Swartberg 100 Fondo's
When: 26 April 2019 - 28 April 2019
Where: Prince Albert, Western Cape
Category: Cyclocross

South Africa's Premier Gravel Bike Event !

Friday 26th

3pm a social pre-race ride / leg stretch.

5pm registration through to 8pm - Supper, refreshments and craft beer available on the event field.

Saturday 27th

6:00 am Breakfast and late registration

7:00 am Gran Fondo start - 170km and 3000m of climbing

8:30 am Medio Fondo start - 55km farm roads, rolling hills

Full catering with lots of food choice all day, beer tent

3pm prize-giving

6:30 pm supper is served

8:30 pm After-Party and music in the Main Marquee.

Sunday 28th.

9:00 am Family breakfast / picnic ride - spectacular setting - all welcome. 8km or 16km or just come to the picnic in your car.

300 Luxury and Standard tents, hot showers and ablutions will be available on the event field.

Entries open 15th of June 2018

The Swartberg100, in true South African tradition, will be one of the toughest Gran Fondo's in the world. We have created a course that goes back to the days of old when mountain passes were all gravel and brave cyclists climbed them on single speed bikes weighing in at 16 kg. A course that allows us to pit our modern training knowledge and technology against an old foe, a road surface that isn't always friendly.

Choose your weapon carefully for this race, too much rubber could slow you down, too little could make the gravel sectors a lot tougher. Watch those gears, not enough top end and you'll spin out on the flats, not enough bottom end and you'll be walking up those 14% inclines. - Bike choice is key...

Go to Event Page

hubevents-91536-0-80732900-1529071622_thumb.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a moment of insanity (clearly) I allowed a 'friend' to sign me up for this last night. How flexible are the organisers on that 5pm cut off?

#askingforafriend

#goingtokakbricks

In a moment of insanity (clearly) I allowed a 'friend' to sign me up for this last night. How flexible are the organisers on that 5pm cut off?

#askingforafriend

#goingtokakbricks

If you train a bit and ride consistently you will be fine. Just be fit. You don't need to be fast.

If you train a bit and ride consistently you will be fine. Just be fit. You don't need to be fast.

I know... I'm excited :)

The key for me will be getting accustomed to the 100km + rides.

May I ask if you're doing it on a mountain or cyclocross bike?

I know... I'm excited :)

The key for me will be getting accustomed to the 100km + rides.

May I ask if you're doing it on a mountain or cyclocross bike?

I did it on a Single Speed CX bike this year. Some guys smashed top 15's on Mountain bikes so I don't think bike choice for a weekend warrior matters that much.

It is a LOT of road but the pass descent is fast and bumpy. If you're going to just finish and won't be racing to win it's much of a muchness

If you're going to just finish and won't be racing to win it's much of a muchness

Although if you had raced a bit faster you would have won... :ph34r:

I did it on a Single Speed CX bike this year. Some guys smashed top 15's on Mountain bikes so I don't think bike choice for a weekend warrior matters that much.

It is a LOT of road but the pass descent is fast and bumpy. If you're going to just finish and won't be racing to win it's much of a muchness

Well bike choice is fairly simple for me. The one I own... :clap:

I've never entered a race to win and don't expect any podiums but this would be the longest distance I've attempted and yes, I would just be wanting to complete it at this point.

Well done and kudos on doing it on a SS though.... Respect.

Although if you had raced a bit faster you would have won... :ph34r:

You have to remind me?! Deep down I know someone is enjoying that bike almost as much as I would have!

You have to remind me?! Deep down I know someone is enjoying that bike almost as much as I would have!

I know, I know.  This was a test to see where you are in the grieving process :whistling:

Hi All,

Accommodation in Prince Albert is getting booked up already for next year. Discounted early-bird entries end on June 30th. We are offering luxury and standard tents, but if you want to stay in a B&B you need to hurry.

Make sure you are on that start line for next year.

I know, I know.  This was a test to see where you are in the grieving process :whistling:

hahaha I have strangely hit a very weird point in my life for the 1st time. I have bike equilibrium...

It's weird and I feel like something is missing in my life, but these days I browse the classifieds and look at bike sites and have no intention of buying anything or see anything and long for it.

I'm not sure how long it will last but at this stage it's helping a lot with the new kitchen and World Champs AR fund

Hopefully 4th time lucky for me having driven down to the Karoo three times before:

2016: Withdrew as I had flu;

2017: The road between the pass and Prince Albert got washed away;

2018: My Niner became scrap metal as it fell of the bike rack and got dragged behind the car on the way to the start.