Wahoo / Strava to earn Vitality points

Hi Guys, just want to confirm that wahoo can earn you points on vitality and is a device that accepted and can connect to the discovery app

No official feedback from Discovery unless you can share what you heard? Been on the website now and still no link for Wahoo under devices

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And linking to Strava does not earn points, correct?

you can link strava direct to discovery for points now a074fc9a0c5daa8b62115f3863a2986f.jpg

you can link strava direct to discovery for points now a074fc9a0c5daa8b62115f3863a2986f.jpg

From my understanding you then have to then start and stop your ride from the strava app, not from a third party app linked to strava, but i could be wrong?

From my understanding you then have to then start and stop your ride from the strava app, not from a third party app linked to strava, but i could be wrong?

I don't use it for points so have no idea how it works ,. But it's an option I guess

If you have a Garmin watch then you might be able to connect it to Zwift for "Indoor bike" exercise... something I still have to test but found a few useful articles that one may be able to do.

From the Zwift forum:

On your Garmin, just use the “Bike Indoor” activity to record your ride while you are using Zwift – you can connect your trainer, heart rate monitor, and cadence sensor to your watch. You end up with somewhat different mileage, but the key metrics – power and heart rate – will be accurate.

Anyone else tried this before?

Edited by Choppie

If you have a Garmin watch then you might be able to connect it to Zwift for "Indoor bike" exercise... something I still have to test but found a few useful articles that one may be able to do.

From the Zwift forum:

Anyone else tried this before?

Well, to get the points, you simultaneously run the watch whilst Zwifting. So long as you upload direct from from the device with the required time / hr, you will get the points. You can pair the watch to the trainer to get speed, distance and power readings from there if you want, and obviously the same applies to a sensor. But Discovery only cares about hr.

But, if you just connect your Zwift app to upload to Garmin Connect, do not expect to get Vitality points outta Discovery. They accept data only from one of their approved devices. So, concurrent uploads are needed, which messes with your Strava stats unless you’re good about deleting the duplicates. Which I am not.

But, if you just connect your Zwift app to upload to Garmin Connect, do not expect to get Vitality points outta Discovery. They accept data only from one of their approved devices. So, concurrent uploads are needed, which messes with your Strava stats unless you’re good about deleting the duplicates. Which I am not.

Which is why I run separate Garmin Connect accounts. I've got one for Vitality only, linked to my watch which I use while Zwifting (and for daily steps), and then I've got a separate account for my normal road rides, linked to Strava, which Zwift then also sends to as to not duplicate entries.

Why bother linking Zwift with Garmin/Strava if you are recording the same indoor ride on your Garmin watch or head unit?

There is no need to as Garmin watch/head unit will record the same info which you can then sync to Discovery/Strava or wherever and you don't have to go through the hoops of setting up different accounts or deleting duplicates byt having both Zwift and Garmin linked to Strava.  Just don't link Zwift.

Why bother linking Zwift with Garmin/Strava if you are recording the same indoor ride on your Garmin watch or head unit?

Because, in my case, I'm recording HR only on my watch. No power, or distance, or course. And I still want that data on my Strava. I only want HR to go to Vitality as that's what they want.

At the moment this workflow seems to work using Zapier to automate everything but the import to Garmin Connect: Wahoo -> Dropbox -> FIT File Tools (to change device) -> DropBox. Then manually import the converted workout into Garmin Connect that's linked to Vitality.

There is no need to as Garmin watch/head unit will record the same info which you can then sync to Discovery/Strava or wherever and you don't have to go through the hoops of setting up different accounts or deleting duplicates byt having both Zwift and Garmin linked to Strava. Just don't link Zwift.

I agree, there is no point linking Zwift to Garmin. But, if you don’t link Zwift to Strava, then you’re “depriving” yourself of elevation, route maps, and connecting with all the people you ride events with, and comparing your stats to theirs, not to mention losing out on all the segments, and getting 776 kudos after riding big events. All you’re left with is “boring” data - hr, time, speed cadence and power. And the temp of your paincave’s aircon.

I agree, there is no point linking Zwift to Garmin. But, if you don’t link Zwift to Strava, then you’re “depriving” yourself of elevation, route maps, and connecting with all the people you ride events with, and comparing your stats to theirs, not to mention losing out on all the segments, and getting 776 kudos after riding big events. All you’re left with is “boring” data - hr, time, speed cadence and power. And the temp of your paincave’s aircon.

so many likes. 

specificaly because of the sarcasm.

(unless I completely missed the tone)

Ag nee man, Strava is where both your friends can follow you.

GARMIN is where you store your boring data to oogle at during the long rainy Cape winter days....

so many likes.

specificaly because of the sarcasm.

(unless I completely missed the tone)

Ya, listen I did not spend a good hour of my life wheel-sucking that Canadian oke’s avatar around Watopia on TOW the other night not to get Kudos and follower requests from him. Who knows what it could bloom into. Our wives (if he has one) could be swopping recipes on Pinterest one day.