Wild Boar Trails, Wellington

Hawekwas Scout Adventure Centre Loop

Distance: 20.5km

Ascent: 928m

Approximate riding time: 1 hour – 3 hours

Intermediate – advanced, fit riders

Mostly single track and some very technical sections

Rode on Saturday - wouldn't say you need to download the map as it's well sign posted and snapscan payment option (was told that Tygerberg members need to pay R100). Lots of climbing but great riding. Remote and rugged up top with cool runnings as your reward on the way down.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode on Saturday - wouldn't say you need to download the map as it's well sign posted and snapscan payment option (was told that Tygerberg members need to pay R100). Lots of climbing but great riding. Remote and rugged up top with cool runnings as your reward on the way down.

Yes, you can ride any day of the week. The trail centre will be open on Saturdays, and Public Holidays (from 8h00).

On the other days, you can buy a permit using the Snapscan code on the door of the centre.

Annual permit holders and Tygerberg MTB members may use the trails without buying a day permit.

Copied and pasted their reply as it was the easiest way to me.

Nice, might give it a try this weekend. I have just confirmed that this specific trail (Hawekwas Scout Adventure Centre Loop) is not free for Tygerberg members.

Anyone know if the Hawekwas Scout trail drains well, or if it will be super muddy after recent rains?

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Scouts Trail - it is quite some awesome riding and you need to be in good shape for this one, which we assume you are!  :thumbup:

Apologies for the bit of confusion regarding Tygerberg members using the Scouts Trail - we did clarify this better on the www.wildboartrails.co.za website after your query. The Wild Boar Trails network starting at VDC and Welvanpas are all free for Tygerberg members. :clap:

The Scouts are a wonderful charity organisation and need all the funding they can get, so all our riders' money are going to a good cause there. We also provide pro bono trail maintenance to the Scouts re their trail.  ;)  :D

So, happy riding!!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Scouts Trail - it is quite some awesome riding and you need to be in good shape for this one, which we assume you are!  :thumbup:

Apologies for the bit of confusion regarding Tygerberg members using the Scouts Trail - we did clarify this better on the www.wildboartrails.co.za website after your query. The Wild Boar Trails network starting at VDC and Welvanpas are all free for Tygerberg members. :clap:

The Scouts are a wonderful charity organisation and need all the funding they can get, so all our riders' money are going to a good cause there. We also provide pro bono trail maintenance to the Scouts re their trail.  ;)  :D

So, happy riding!!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I love the Wild Boar Trails from VDC, but they can get quite muddy after rain - although it is still great fun, I wouldn't want to damage the trails. Is the Scout Trail a better option in the wet? I'm happy to support them with the trail fee.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I love the Wild Boar Trails from VDC, but they can get quite muddy after rain - although it is still great fun, I wouldn't want to damage the trails. Is the Scout Trail a better option in the wet? I'm happy to support them with the trail fee.

All the trails should be fine tomorrow and Saturday (Saturday definitely fine). More rain predicted from Saturday night, so Sunday maybe not a good option.

So, to answer your question: Scouts Trail will be good, as will the other trails. Have fun!

• 1 year later...

:cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:   why do people think they are the **** and don't need to adhere to the rules they need an P&%S klap.

I'm with you on this one Hamstring.

Would it be possible to name and shame the people not adhering to the rules? 

Secondly when will we know the new routes?

I could have it wrong but the LP route ( Roller coaster, etc) is the start all 4 the routes?

:cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:   why do people think they are the **** and don't need to adhere to the rules they need an P&%S klap.

what have I missed?

I actually might be out that side this weekend and considering a ride if possible 

what have I missed?

I actually might be out that side this weekend and considering a ride if possible 

One of the land owners is no longer allowing access due to people riding illegally at night with bike lights. Trails will have to be re-routed around the farm in question. Not the first trail network to lose access due to the action of entitled individuals.

strava detective. name and shame

the chops normally care more about their kudos and ego than being discreet.

the only way this will get sorted is by online kangaroo court.

• 10 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread...

We're going to be staying on the Bosman Wines farm later this week and I'm considering taking my wife on the Hedgehog trail, with it being the shortest "proper" route (the 3.3km one doesn't count). She's on an e-bike but hasn't ridden in months, so the 679m-odd elevation worries me a bit. Also, how tech is the singletrack along the top? Benchmark: She's always enjoyed Meerendal's mid-length option because there is nothing overtly steep or technical. If this is going to be much more challenging than that, we may just do some farmroad riding instead.

It is always a bit of a challenge advising someone not knowing the technical ability of the rider being advised. 

However, there is a very nice cycle shop in town (Adverture Cycles) where you will probably get the best advise.

The local farm roads are also very nice  especially if Mrs is on an e-bike. Even up Bainskloof. My Mrs (63) drills me up the pass with her e-bike. It is quite safe and not that hard. It is not a high speed pass like Du Toits kloof and Franschhoek pass. You here cars quite far.

2 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Resurrecting an old thread...

We're going to be staying on the Bosman Wines farm later this week and I'm considering taking my wife on the Hedgehog trail, with it being the shortest "proper" route (the 3.3km one doesn't count). She's on an e-bike but hasn't ridden in months, so the 679m-odd elevation worries me a bit. Also, how tech is the singletrack along the top? Benchmark: She's always enjoyed Meerendal's mid-length option because there is nothing overtly steep or technical. If this is going to be much more challenging than that, we may just do some farmroad riding instead.

If this is going to be her first ride in months then I'll use the farm roads to get the eye in first, perhaps the short 3.3km as warm up. If she has done Meerendal trails before and even climbed to the top of Dorstberg she should be ok. Single Track is not technical at all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 5:57 PM, B20 said:

It is always a bit of a challenge advising someone not knowing the technical ability of the rider being advised. 

However, there is a very nice cycle shop in town (Adverture Cycles) where you will probably get the best advise.

The local farm roads are also very nice  especially if Mrs is on an e-bike. Even up Bainskloof. My Mrs (63) drills me up the pass with her e-bike. It is quite safe and not that hard. It is not a high speed pass like Du Toits kloof and Franschhoek pass. You here cars quite far.

Hi B20 

Do you know if Bainskloof pass open for cyclists at the moment?

7 minutes ago, Michael S said:

Hi B20 

Do you know if Bainskloof pass open for cyclists at the moment?

No its not, closed again on the 5th or something. We were there on the weekend just after and were turned away.