Ibis Mojo HD4 - too much bike

New2ride2015

Hey Everyone, 

I've been riding a 2016 Giant Trance 2 (140 travel trail bike) for a few years since it was released in 2016. Stay in Cape Town (Southern Suburbs) and ride everything from greenbelts, Table Mountain to Tokai. Also venture out to Stellenbosch, Boschendal, Durbanville, Elgin. So terrain from XC to a little bit more chunky. I've done XC races on it (not for time but more for enjoyment). I do enjoy the downhills and the rougher terrain, want to get better at jumping and drops and technical features as the excitement for me far exceeds racing and Xc type trails. I would like to start doing some Enduro as the uphills don't matter and I can keep improving on the downs. 

My plan for the next year is where this question comes in. I would like to get a hardtail or shorter travel FS bike eventually for the XC races that exceed 50km and lots of climbing although the Trance for me managed pretty well on races like Fedhealth and such. My main focus would be getting a slightly longer travel bike with better suspension ( not that mines bad but current fork is - fox 32 performance ) , better wheelset as I'm running stock Giants and more focused on the downs. 

I could upgrade the Trance with a better 140mm travel fork fox 34/36 or similar and get another wheelset on one hand. 

On the other If I had the money the Ibis Mojo HD4 looks incredible. Unfortunately it's a hard one to get hold of for a test ride so I'm going on reviews and geo which i understand is not the best way to go about it. I see it as a bike that will far exceed what I'm capable of now and I wont have to upgrade anything on it for a long time to come. I do ride smaller jumps, drops and stuff on the Tokai DH lines so not a complete novice but there is always lots of room for improvement. 

Lots of the reviews are based overseas and the terrain there is a lot different. I'm just wondering if I would still be able to take the bike on more mellow routes (kirstenbosch trail) out climbing, farm rides of 50/80km without it being way too much bike and sucking on anything but the downhills. I like to spend a lot of time on a bike so would like to be able to ride it anywhere. I know it wont climb as well as others but could it be too much bike for local trails and more chilled weekend rides. 

Any other bikes to look at, comments, advice.. feel free! here to learn from those who have test ridden, raced and tried brands I perhaps have not. 

Thanks in advance! 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, and welcome to Bike Hub

As an avid Ibis supporter...

Ibis tends to design their bikes with a light bias towards getting around on it. So not crazy DH orientated. The HD, SL-R, Ripley all got great reviews for their pedaling and all-round ability which I think is perfect for local conditions.

I don't think the HD 4 is THAT much bike, especially when compared to other bikes with the same travel that are slacker and aimed at gnarlier riding. You could (and most likely should) consider a Ripley or even Mojo3. From what you've described I reckon those two will be closer to what you want and both will be able to to romp in the miles. The Mojo3 is a GREAT bike. 

Paga Hyrax if you can source one .Or of banshee spitfire . Both = All Mountain good times. The transition Patrol in Carbon can win enduros with the ride pilot???? If you believe the grapevine the new Stumpy transcends.... If you can live with a 29r????

Hi, and welcome to Bike Hub

As an avid Ibis supporter...

Ibis tends to design their bikes with a light bias towards getting around on it. So not crazy DH orientated. The HD, SL-R, Ripley all got great reviews for their pedaling and all-round ability which I think is perfect for local conditions.

I don't think the HD 4 is THAT much bike, especially when compared to other bikes with the same travel that are slacker and aimed at gnarlier riding. You could (and most likely should) consider a Ripley or even Mojo3. From what you've described I reckon those two will be closer to what you want and both will be able to to romp in the miles. The Mojo3 is a GREAT bike. 

Thanks for the reply. Thats exactly why I've come down to the Ibis on my list of bikes they almost keep the climbing in mind even with a longer travel bike. 

I have also been looking at the Mojo 3. I am enjoying my 27.5 wheels at the moment but don't mind 29er. More focused on the bike as a whole. Just felt like if I do one day get a bike for XC only having a Mojo 3 would be pretty similar (although better) than my current "do it all" giant trance or even the newer trance advanced where the HD4 would probably push further towards the DH. Just wouldn't want to be picking the XC rig for daily rides over whatever I end up getting for the more DH orientated rides. Fun over climbing and KOM stuff I enjoy more at the moment. 

I am in sort of the same boat.

I have a hardtail for long rides, currently built singlespeed for winter, and in summer it sprouts gears for long rides. It might even sprout some Bikepacking gear this summer.

And then I have a 2016 Trance 2.

The Trance is more than capable of doing any Enduro race and being jumped. Mine gets rallied down Helderberg every weekend. In fact Ive done stage races on it as well. I just love having a hardtail as well.

But:

The Trance comes alive with a 150mm fork. It becomes a trail muncher with a 160mm fork. I put a Dual Position Pike (150mm/160mm) on it, and I'd suggest you put a beefy 150mm fork om it. Pike or MRP Ribbon/Stage.

I also changed the wheels, but to be honest the stock giant wheels are very strong, if you put wider rims on it will have a wider footprint and a bit more grip, but I won't stress too much about it. Oh, and I'm running 1x10. The 2x10 it came with is retarded.

If I were you, I'd put a 150mm fork on it, and start saving. Sooner rather than later Giant will introduce a 29er Trance, and that is where I'd start my new Bike search.

Paga Hyrax if you can source one .Or of banshee spitfire . Both = All Mountain good times. The transition Patrol in Carbon can win enduros with the ride pilot If you believe the grapevine the new Stumpy transcends.... If you can live with a 29r

haha I'm on 27.5 at the moment and never ridden 29 but hear good things. Will take a look at the bikes mentioned above! Thanks for the reply! 

I have a hardtail for long rides, currently built singlespeed for winter, and in summer it sprouts gears for long rides. It might even sprout some Bikepacking gear this summer.

The Trance is more than capable of doing any Enduro race and being jumped. Mine gets rallied down Helderberg every weekend. In fact Ive done stage races on it as well. I just love having a hardtail as well.

But:

The Trance comes alive with a 150mm fork. It becomes a trail muncher with a 160mm fork. I put a Dual Position Pike (150mm/160mm) on it, and I'd suggest you put a beefy 150mm fork om it. Pike or MRP Ribbon/Stage.

I also changed the wheels, but to be honest the stock giant wheels are very strong, if you put wider rims on it will have a wider footprint and a bit more grip, but I won't stress too much about it. Oh, and I'm running 1x10. The 2x10 it came with is retarded.

If I were you, I'd put a 150mm fork on it, and start saving. Sooner rather than later Giant will introduce a 29er Trance, and that is where I'd start my new Bike search.

Also checked out some bike packing setups they look awesome! Eventually thats what I'd probably lean towards for XC sort of riding (hardtail). 

I have heard changing up the fork (pike/fox34 150/160) is the way to go with the trance frame. Used to read lots of the Trance threads here and seems to be a popular choice. I'm going to look at forksm work out prices and def factor that into my search. I have hammered the stock rims and they are holding up very well. My only complaint would be the 19mm internal width and I think something a little wider seems like the direction to go. Although running the DHF front and that feels good. 

Changed to a 32 oval the day i got the bike. Split the cassette and put the 16 and 42 on the back and has been working really well since. 

Appreciate the advice. The more options and advice the better choice I can make in the end! 

Also did you change the shock when you changed the fork? 

But:

Here's some great advice.

Stick with the Giant Trance.

No better bike for your purpose.

Maybe go for a RockShox - Pike or Yari

(even a Revelation)

Also did you change the shock when you changed the fork?

The shock on the Trance 2 is seriously underrated (2016 and up). They are super capable, and although there are better options it wouldn't be first on my list of upgrades. Rather spring for a new wheelset...

The shock on the Trance 2 is seriously underrated (2016 and up). They are super capable, and although there are better options it wouldn't be first on my list of upgrades. Rather spring for a new wheelset...

So I can change the fork to a 150 and leave the stock shock as is, thats epic. Wheelset would be the next after that for sure. Thanks 

Here's some great advice.

Stick with the Giant Trance.

No better bike for your purpose.

Maybe go for a RockShox - Pike or Yari

(even a Revelation)

Looking at forks now, cheers. Where do you guys get them from CT or online overseas?

Looking at forks now, cheers. Where do you guys get them from CT or online overseas?

For forks go and speak to Droo at STOKE they are in Mowbray/Woodstock

So I can change the fork to a 150 and leave the stock shock as is, thats epic. Wheelset would be the next after that for sure. Thanks

Yup. If I was you I'd be going for a RS Pike, or MRP Ribbon. Lots of reasons to get either of the two (Ribbon is my choice - search here on the hub - there have been some threads about it). As others have mentioned Droo at Stoke Suspension Worx is the right guy to speak to - he can get both of those forks for you.

Oh, don't go overseas. If you need to warranty anything you are gonna cry. I'm not against overseas in general, but for this type of purchase I wouldn't do it.

For wheels you have endless options. A good place to start is some Hope Pro 4 hubs, rims - maybe looks at Spank Oozy Trail 345, Stans Flow, or cSixx END Or XCM if you have the cash and wanna splash out on carbon.

Edited by Grease_Monkey