Cycling route from Barrydale Western Cape

Gavster229

Hi fellow Hubbers. 

Next week Im travelling to Barrydale on Route 62 and was want to ride out to Montegue. 

Just checking if anyone is out that side and keen to join as I'm a bit nervous doing that on my ace on the open highway! I have only don this route for the DC and was keen to do it as a training ride. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Have a lekker Friday all. !  :thumbup:

Do not think the R62 is such a good idea in my opinion.  Narrow and fast cars with lorries trying to catch them up.

My opinion and I have ridden some of it by mistake.

Sounds like you are on a road bike...Mmmmm.

Thanks guys, yes @Sepia im on a Road bike. Perhaps ill leave the bike at home and take the weekend off!  :thumbup:

as far as i know that whole section has a nice big shoulder.....

I did think this was the case too. I cant remember much from the DC but Im sure there was a decent shoulder. 

I checked with a friend living that side. Between Montagu and Barrydale there is a wide shoulder (about 2m) the whole way. If you pass any of those two towns, you will not have a shoulder to ride on. 

A very long time ago I've cycled that road with a mountain bike with panniers . I came from Oudtshoorn side and continued through Montagu to Robertson. I never felt unsafe due to a too narrow road.

It was a long time ago - traffic might have picked up since then, though. 

I've done a number of cycling holidays in the area and have ridden the R62 from Worcester to Oudtshoorn (not in one day). The section between Montagu and Barrydale has always been fine in terms of shoulder, traffic volumes and just the general way drivers drive.  :thumbup:

Just for interest sake - the R62 between Oudtshoorn and George is a no-go... had some of the scariest cycling experiences on this section. Narrow and the trucks don't try pass you they just hoot... its up to you if you want to get off the road or die. Won't ride it again. :thumbdown:

I've done a number of cycling holidays in the area and have ridden the R62 from Worcester to Oudtshoorn (not in one day). The section between Montagu and Barrydale has always been fine in terms of shoulder, traffic volumes and just the general way drivers drive.  :thumbup:

Just for interest sake - the R62 between Oudtshoorn and George is a no-go... had some of the scariest cycling experiences on this section. Narrow and the trucks don't try pass you they just hoot... its up to you if you want to get off the road or die. Won't ride it again. :thumbdown:

Done this road and will never do it again, never!  As S-Bike says.

Just for interest sake - the R62 between Oudtshoorn and George is a no-go... had some of the scariest cycling experiences on this section. Narrow and the trucks don't try pass you they just hoot... its up to you if you want to get off the road or die. Won't ride it again. 

All this and the truck is doing 100km/h with a swaying trailer. Trailers sway more than that shoulder, let alone you swaying when the truck sucks you in. 

Do you have a mirror to forewarn you as to when the end is about to happen?

Hi fellow Hubbers. 

Next week Im travelling to Barrydale on Route 62 and was want to ride out to Montegue. 

Just checking if anyone is out that side and keen to join as I'm a bit nervous doing that on my ace on the open highway! I have only don this route for the DC and was keen to do it as a training ride. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Have a lekker Friday all. !  :thumbup:

You'll be fine!

A big shoulder from Barrydale to Montegue.

We ride from Buffeljags, Tradouw pass, Barrydale, Pakstoor(Top of pass between Barrydale and Monteque) and back regularly.

Done this road and will never do it again, never!  As S-Bike says.

Just for interest sake - the R62 between Oudtshoorn and George is a no-go... had some of the scariest cycling experiences on this section. Narrow and the trucks don't try pass you they just hoot... its up to you if you want to get off the road or die. Won't ride it again. 

All this and the truck is doing 100km/h with a swaying trailer. Trailers sway more than that shoulder, let alone you swaying when the truck sucks you in. 

Do you have a mirror to forewarn you as to when the end is about to happen?

If you are on a MTB go Kamanassie-Herold and old pass to George

Thanks for all the advice chaps! I really do appreciate it. I think Im leaning towards doing Tradouw Pass and back again. Will see how feel on the day 

Awesome, thanks guys!! 

@Abdoujaparov. Does suurbrak know what coffee is ??  :D

Or head on to Buffeljags for a roosterkoek.But beware some days they sell upwards of 1000.

But worth it