Seven Passes Road - Is it gravelable?

LePuncheur

Yes, I just made up a word.

Gravelable (adj) - Suitable for pleasant traverse on either a gravel or standard road machine, equipped with rubber exceeding 28 metric millimeters. 

I was planning a ride from Glentana (George) to Natures Valley. While scouring maps for a possible route that does not involve perishing on the N2, I saw something called the "Seven Passes Road". It looks pretty spectacular, consisting of tar and untarred sections.

My question is, does anyone know if these roads are MTB type gravel, or gravel type gravel? I would love to slap on my 28's and have a crack at it. I am just not keen on heave corrugations which will undo the dental work I had done as a child.

Any local knowledge would be much appreciated! 

The route I am talking about can be viewed here:

https://goo.gl/maps/9akgRySrfqH2

I've been over there a couple of times in bakkie and on a motorbike and based on that I would say gravelable.

Put differently if someone had to invite me today I'd saddle up a gravel bike

Yes, you can ride it on your gravel bike as long as you take some of the steep downhills carefully. I have actually done it on a road bike not knowing about the gravel sections, without any issues. Matthys Beukes did it a lot on a road bike before he got sponsored by Pyga.

No problem whatsoever. The road is very quiet, which is great for cycling. Just make sure you have a riding buddy. I would not go it alone.

No problem whatsoever. The road is very quiet, which is great for cycling. Just make sure you have a riding buddy. I would not go it alone.

Hey Robbie, why not alone?

Be aware of timber trucks and locals steaming along in their bakkies. I live around here and ride it often, in various stages, anyway! Very lekker!

Edited by Spokey

Guys, this is gold! Thank you so much for chipping in.

I am taking your advice and saddling up my Ultravox Team Issue with some 25s (turns out, 28mm are a bit of a hit and a miss with this frame) the first flight I get (This weekend, or thereafter)

I just came back from the French countryside a week ago. The amount of long distance options they have there is mind boggling. While in Nice, I asked a local if there is a good stretch of quiet, twisty road, wo which he said "pick any road- if you take this one, you can be in Italy for an espresso before lunch, or turn left into the Alps. Just watch out for the Col de La Madone over that hill." Mouthwatering stuff...

The point is, I hope we can collect and cherish the options that we do have and make them common knowledge amongst us as riders!

Yes, I just made up a word.

Gravelable (adj) - Suitable for pleasant traverse on either a gravel or standard road machine, equipped with rubber exceeding 28 metric millimeters.

I was planning a ride from Glentana (George) to Natures Valley. While scouring maps for a possible route that does not involve perishing on the N2, I saw something called the "Seven Passes Road". It looks pretty spectacular, consisting of tar and untarred sections.

My question is, does anyone know if these roads are MTB type gravel, or gravel type gravel? I would love to slap on my 28's and have a crack at it. I am just not keen on heave corrugations which will undo the dental work I had done as a child.

Any local knowledge would be much appreciated!

The route I am talking about can be viewed here:

https://goo.gl/maps/9akgRySrfqH2

Your map is just the N2 route.

After knysna you will be back on tar, you can go north through gouna and end up at the bitou/N2. Or you could go south and do some mtb trails.

No direct gravel route

Hey Robbie, why not alone?

Be aware of timber trucks and locals steaming along in their bakkies. I live around here and ride it often, in various stages, anyway! Very lekker!

Hi Spokey, I also hail from George, and I would not ride that whole section alone. I don't refer to problems with locals, but there are vast stretches on the N2, and if anything happens, you are alone and in dire straits. The section past Knysna towards Noetzie is also not exactly a section I would ride on a bike. Also, from Knysna to the Crags there are not really any viable gravel sections, apart from the section to Wittedrift, which sidesteps Plett.

The N2 is also constantly policed by traffic officials (especially between Knysna and Plett), and afaik riding on a "N" highway is illegal?

Hi Spokey, I also hail from George, and I would not ride that whole section alone. I don't refer to problems with locals, but there are vast stretches on the N2, and if anything happens, you are alone and in dire straits. The section past Knysna towards Noetzie is also not exactly a section I would ride on a bike. Also, from Knysna to the Crags there are not really any viable gravel sections, apart from the section to Wittedrift, which sidesteps Plett.

The N2 is also constantly policed by traffic officials (especially between Knysna and Plett), and afaik riding on a "N" highway is illegal?

I might be wrong but I think that riding the N2 where it's a single road (as opposed to a dual road) is legal on a bicycle. There's something in the 'highway' vs. 'freeway' distinction.

Whether or not this is safe, I can't say.

Riding on the N2, a Friday topic. Now where is that oom that knows everything about the Road Traffic Act when you need him? 

Done George to Karatara on a Mtb .Should be ok on Gravel bike ,maybe a bit bumpy after the rain.

Stop for a Coke at Karatara shop to check out old fishing pics!

Cool, thanks, makes sense, especially regarding that section just past Knysna. I was a little focused on the Seven Passes. A super but long route to Plett could be Gouna, Kom se Pad then left at Diepwalle to head to Plett off the Prince Afred Pass Road........

Think I will stick with my motorcycle for that!

Cool, thanks, makes sense, especially regarding that section just past Knysna. I was a little focused on the Seven Passes. A super but long route to Plett could be Gouna, Kom se Pad then left at Diepwalle to head to Plett off the Prince Afred Pass Road........

Think I will stick with my motorcycle for that!

This is a most picturesque route, best enjoyed on a motorcycle.

• 3 months later...