Scammer - Barry Smith

Stall_Gear

*edit* change title from "possible" since he is a definite scammer.

Name popped up on a Google search after suspicious whatsapp and request for details on the "bicycle"I was selling - couldn't tell me which one, since there are a few I have advertised. I think he got my details from Gumtree rather than here. Requested to communicate via email (barry4smith02@gmail.com)

Any good ideas how to get this guy, since it seems I am not the first he is trying!

emai: barry4smith02@gmail.com

whatsapp: 0744300208

Edited by Stall_Gear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, also got the WhatsApp from Barry Smith, did a quick google search for his number and a few scam alerts popped up. Asked him why we need to communicate through email and not Whatsapp (Contacted me this way the first time) and I haven't heard anything since.

Yeah, definite scammer - after posting this, I got the usual oil rig and present for cousin story...

Got him to at least claim to work for a big multinational drilling company, so forwarded the emails to their marketing department - interested to see if they could be bothered!

Just got a response to my Gumtree ad from none other than our favourite Barry Smith. Truecalled also identified him as "Scam Oil Rig Money". I told him a few of my favourite Capetonian words before reporting and blocking him on WhatsApp. What a chop!

Obviously the corporate hotshot lawyer didn't work then! This was the response I got from the multinational "Barry" claimed to work for!

Dear Sir,

I am corporate counsel for Diamond Offshore and was forwarded your email by our Marketing team. As you note below, we take the use of our name for fraudulent purposes seriously. Thank you for notifying us of this issue. 

Regards,

Obviously the corporate hotshot lawyer didn't work then! This was the response I got from the multinational "Barry" claimed to work for!

Dear Sir,

I am corporate counsel for Diamond Offshore and was forwarded your email by our Marketing team. As you note below, we take the use of our name for fraudulent purposes seriously. Thank you for notifying us of this issue. 

Regards,

for someone with the name Barry Smith, he doesn't english so good

Can someone please give me a good caller ID app. I see lots on the app store. Many thanks.

I have found Truecaller excellent on my android phone. I have heard battery life takes a small hit due to it running in the background. But haven't noticed any negligible difference. It also checks SMS as well if you want

He contacted me just now, thought it sounded like a scam. Same oil rig story and buying the bike for a cousin as a surprize. Thanks for posting this!

• 3 weeks later...

He just sent me a whatsapp message now to say he is interested and that I must email him on barry4smith02@gmail.com

What can be done to stop this scammer??

Arrange the sale and send him an empty box with a friendly letter in it... At least you get some enjoyment out of it at the small cost of the courier charge. Maybe even get a few hubbers to deliver the box to the chosen location?