Crest Mk3 Rim Cracks... and now my Flow Mk3

ChUkKy

My crest failed aswell, somehow I don't feel comfortable with the Mk3 rims for replacement. Crest or arch,  evobikes have the AM28 rims, same weight as arches at 455g, 24mm ID  and about R900 per rim

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just come across another one. Broken at 18 of the holes. Both drive and non-drive sides. Rider well within the weight limit.........

Just come across another one. Broken at 18 of the holes. Both drive and non-drive sides. Rider well within the weight limit.........

Got another 2 mates with identical Crests to mine which have also cracked in the same spots.

One guy is getting his warrantied and the other fella cant be arsed with the ballache involved.

My Crest is being warrantied, all involved were really cool about it and keen to fix the problem  :thumbup:

Ive been told there was a bad batch and the problem shouldnt happen again with the new rim.

I've had a bunch of these cracked wheels in for rim replacements and I measure the existing spoke tensions every time. No surprises, every time the tensions are between 110 and 130 kgf, where recommended tension, even on the Arch Mk3 is 95kgf.

I dont know what this means. But, it sounds very important. So I fully agree!

I'm 65kg and cracked both of the Mk3 Crests on my Scalpel Si 3. I have had the rear rim replaced thrice.

I replaced the rear two days before Epic, had to replace it the week after Epic. Recent inspection concluded that it needs to be replaced again.

Never, ever again - Carbon hoops next.

I'm 65kg and cracked both of the Mk3 Crests on my Scalpel Si 3. I have had the rear rim replaced thrice.

I replaced the rear two days before Epic, had to replace it the week after Epic. Recent inspection concluded that it needs to be replaced again.

Never, ever again - Carbon hoops next.

This worries me...

Maybe the gents from Two Wheels Trading can explain because they honour the warranties.

My girlfriend took her bike in for a service. CWCycles noticed the crack/s and informed her immediately. When she picked it up that afternoon the new rim was on.

No ifs or buts

Only to happen again and again by my experience.

Only to happen again and again by my experience.

That was my thought as well.

Will keep an eye on it.

I have a set of the previous model crest that never gave any issues .There is a problem with the crest MK3,s .First issue was that a XXL frame bike was factory specced with crest,s .How many 6” plus riders do you get that weigh less than 85kg ? .I did not mind to much because my 12 year old boy would get the wheelset.At 45kg he managed to break 2 spokes on the rear wheel .When i had it repaired the mechanic told me that he broke another spoke by just feeling the tension with his fingers .He also said that the spokes were to short and that they only screwed into the first part of the spoke nipple and did not go all the way through into the rim like they should be