Crest Mk3 Rim Cracks... and now my Flow Mk3

ChUkKy

It would be lovely if all rims were simply made strong enough to withstand the rigors of MTB.... There are so many bikes that come out with the bare minimum in wheel strength and rubbish hubs to match. By all means make them heavier and stronger, but not heavy and weak. 

Some of the issues with modern wider rims is that manufacturers have attempted to make rims that weigh the same as much narrower, smaller, rims. The net result is a weak and failure prone rim like the Flow mk3's. 

Rear rims take a beating and will always crack eventually. The question is what is an acceptable life span? There are so many variables perhaps its best to simply buy cheap rims and bank on replacing the rear one once a year? A DT costs what, R2400 or more a pop. That's 2 or 3 cheaper rims and you're spreading the expense. 

I have another set of rims on my dual, that i only ride offroad. 

It has 300km on it, no cracks.

I also had a WTB with 5000 plus on it when I sold it, and it was still perfect.

I have seen only two rim manufactures crack like this length wise and drive side spokes.

Stans Arch and Crest and even Flow

Roval

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the crests have a rider weight limit of 86kg, which is fairly low. I damaged quite a few of them in various ways and know the cracks mentioned above all too well. But ya- don't jump them, don't abuse them, don't overload them and be careful when pumping them up. The max pressure limit is there for a reason and it doesn't take much for them to fail due to pressure.

Sent my bike for service recently and mechanic pointed out the same issue on my rims...   :angry:

Just been in contact with Jonathan from Two Wheels Trading and their response has been amazing so far, now that is what I call customer service!

Will hopefully take my wheel in later today to get warrantied, hope all goes well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my second rim, the last one lasted less than 1,000km no jumping or even fast drops just endless xc riding for training. I'm really worried about bringing them to do any stage race. I was considering some carbon wheel set. I think is a 29" issue only.

I used stans for 10 years or so, I was way heavier thousands of km's never had an issue like this on my 27.5. I'm in the states so, is easy to get a replacement rim.

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6097.JPG

On 4/30/2021 at 10:47 AM, WesleyR said:

Just been in contact with Jonathan from Two Wheels Trading and their response has been amazing so far, now that is what I call customer service!

Will hopefully take my wheel in later today to get warrantied, hope all goes well.

Just a follow up to my previous post.

I would like to extend a HUUUUUUUGGGEEEE thank you to Jonathan from Two Wheels Trading, you ROCK!!  I have never ever experienced such amazing customer service in my life. Keep up the amazing work.

Jonathan assisted me immediately once I contacted him and sent through my new upgraded rim on Fri 7th May.  The rim arrived in JHB on Monday 10th May and was sent to Josh from Cyclists Workshop.  I'd like to thank Josh for his amazing speedy service in managing to rebuild my new rim by Wednesday 12th May just in time for me to leave for Sani2C the following day!

I'm super happy with my new upgraded ARCH rim. All round what an amazing experience, thank you to all involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few cracks around the nipples on my rear wheel. Specialized Roval Traverse 29mm ID alu. The wheel is 4 years old now and has about 9300 km / 613 hours of use on it. This year was mostly riding Contermans, Hoogekraal, Jonkers and Banhoek trails hitting every jump in sight and being rowdy. I'm guessing this is expected behaviour then?

image.png.b4ad3ea11766a0be823c1371ba639140.png

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I have a few cracks around the nipples on my rear wheel. Specialized Roval Traverse 29mm ID alu. The wheel is 4 years old now and has about 9300 km / 613 hours of use on it. This year was mostly riding Contermans, Hoogekraal, Jonkers and Banhoek trails hitting every jump in sight and being rowdy. I'm guessing this is expected behaviour then?

image.png.b4ad3ea11766a0be823c1371ba639140.png

Your Roval lasted that long? Well done!