HRM chest or wrist?

Henley 1

Agree with everyone on the wrist vs Chest,,,BUT the Garmin chest strap that comes in box chafes the living hell out of me. I still have the scars of 2012 IM on my chest. So I went Garmin soft strap-still not great. Then did the Polar strap Garmin pickup swop and that worked okay so I used that for a while.

Now on a Garmin 735 and on the bike its okay as I train with power not HR. For running I use the wrist option and have learnt not to get to fixated on the HR. But if you train on HR then for sure use a HR strap-I use a Wahoo Tckr on the Wattbike (to talk to the WATTBIKE and KICKR) and although it looks the most clunky of all straps it works. Come to think of it will try it on a run.   

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the fenix 5, only use the wrist hrm for measuring resting hr, sleep patterns and daily tracker unless I forgot my strap when doing a workout.  Chest strap for cycling and running I have the garmin HRM-Tri.  Is a soft strap, no chaffing and does not slip down when running.

I have the fenix 5, only use the wrist hrm for measuring resting hr, sleep patterns and daily tracker unless I forgot my strap when doing a workout.  Chest strap for cycling and running I have the garmin HRM-Tri.  Is a soft strap, no chaffing and does not slip down when running.

I do the same, use the optical for sleep etc and then use a strap for training. Think your resting hr while you sleep is a great insight into how your body is doing in terms of load and recovery

I do the same, use the optical for sleep etc and then use a strap for training. Think your resting hr while you sleep is a great insight into how your body is doing in terms of load and recovery

Agreed, I monitor my resting hr closely not only for overtraining, but can also indicate you getting ill.  Since monitoring resting hr, i have also recently started monitoring heart rate variable (HRV) https://www.hrv4training.com/.  This is done via your phone camera and the app.  Gives a much better insight to training load and recovery and can sync to get your training data/TSS from a number sites like trainingpeaks/todays plan etc.

If you are a data junkie on such stuff, look at https://www.fitnesssyncer.com/ then you can upload a lot of the garmin data (sleep/HR etc) to the likes of trainingpeaks and have it all in one place.

Regarding the HR straps not lasting. 

After one fabric Garmin HRM went belly up after a few months I went back to the old rubber Garmin HRM. The ones with the elastic at the back.  

That thing is unaffected by sweat or water and the batteries last a long time. 

If the elastic at the back goes "pap" my wife just makes a new one  from similar elastic from the linen shop. 

I have two spare ones as well, so I sorted. 

And it still pairs with my new wrist HRM watch. 

Might not be cool, but I don't mind old stuff . . . I old anyway.  :ph34r:

5018949-NOC02.jpg?w=600&h=600&auto=forma

Edited by IH8MUD

I have been using Garmin FR 910XT sports watches since the 910XT appeared. The watch itself seems to last about 3 to 4 years, but the chest band HRM only one year – no matter how well I look after them.

Should I change to wrist type? Stick with the Garmin brand?

Wot you sink?

I have a garmin fenix with wrist based HRM. I've ridden with this and with a chest strap at the same time. The two readings come within 5% of one another, the only difference is that there is a bit of a lag in wrist based reading. ie: my chest based reading will pick up an increased effort more rapidly. 

But being able to wear the wrist based one all the time has far more benefits. For instance If I have a couple of beers, my sleeping HR is often 10-15 BPM higher than what it normally is. Similarly if I eat something sugary (which is very seldom). I know what my sleeping HR "PB" is...and can get a number of other metric about recovery etc. I know that my HR should be in the low 50s if I'm zoning out in front of the TV..so if its 70 for some reason then I start to look at why. Am I a bit sick? Did I eat something I shouldn't? Is my team losing?

All-in-all the extra data outweighs the small (in my experience) lack of accuracy.

After one fabric Garmin HRM went belly up after a few months I went back to the old rubber Garmin HRM. The ones with the elastic at the back.  

If the elastic at the back goes "pap" my wife just makes a new one  from similar elastic from the linen shop. 

And it still pares with my new wrist HRM watch. 

I have been using this exact strap for 4 years now, and haven't had the slightest issue, so I have to second your positive review on this

I wear the garmin softstrap out in around 10 months. It does not go in the wash machine. I rinse it in the shower as soon as I fining the workout. The plastic around the sensors that contact against the chest perish and then won't read properly. I must have corrosive sweat. Warranty is a year and garmin replace the strap without issue for me. Just keep the invoices up to date!

The polar strap lasted 6 months.

And it still pares with my new wrist HRM watch. 

I have been using this exact strap for 4 years now, and haven't had the slightest issue, so I have to second your positive review on this

I must agree. After using polar and Garmin Soft straps, i find this to be the most reliable. Never misses a heartbeat and in never affected by sweat, moisture, etc. using mine for 3 years now without issue.

Something wrong with the product if that’s how long it lasts

Try a Polar V800 and polar straps

Had my V800 at least 4 years and it still looks new and works 100% everytime

I also use the V800, with maybe 2 fails in 3 years of riding with one. Both fails were battery related. As far as as the strap is concerned, mine is so comfortable that I forget that I am wearing one while out riding.

I am using the original one I got with my watch. 

My boet uses the M400, and after constantly getting HR readings that are way out from what he is feeling, he bought the HR strap, and confirmed his suspicions as far as the discrepancies between wrist and chest based readings.

My boet uses the M400, and after constantly getting HR readings that are way out from what he is feeling, he bought the HR strap, and confirmed his suspicions as far as the discrepancies between wrist and chest based readings.

I'm not surprised it was way out. The M400 does not have wrist based heart rate as far as I know. That only came out with the M430.

My Wahoo is like new after 4 years of having it. Would recommend it.

I'm not surprised it was way out. The M400 does not have wrist based heart rate as far as I know. That only came out with the M430.

That’s how comfortable the polar straps are, you think it’s wrist based......