DT Swiss ratchet upgrade

GrahamS2

I did the 54t ratchet upgrade to my DT Swiss 350s hub last week, from the factory 18t. Cost of the new ratchets was around R1200, and it took 5 minutes to swop them out. The improvement in engagement angle is MASSIVE and makes this a very worthwhile upgrade. The 54t is pretty loud in comparison, but I don't really mind. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get stock of the 54t?

I did the 54t ratchet upgrade to my DT Swiss 350s hub last week, from the factory 18t. Cost of the new ratchets was around R1200, and it took 5 minutes to swop them out. The improvement in engagement angle is MASSIVE and makes this a very worthwhile upgrade. The 54t is pretty loud in comparison, but I don't really mind. 

Where did you get stock of the 54t?

Marc at Get Stoked Distribution arranged it for me. Sent it to my LBS.

Top service! marc at getstoked.co.za

Just order the ratchets, and not the whole kit. For some reason the kit (which  just includes springs and grease as extra) is ridiculously priced.

Edited by GrahamS2

That 54t ratchet sounds like you've just hooked a reaaaaaaalllllllyyyyy big Marlin :thumbup:

• 11 months later...

I also want to do the 54t upgrade on my DT Swiss wheels. 

Apart from Get Stoked any other supplier locally?

I also want to do the 54t upgrade on my DT Swiss wheels. 

Apart from Get Stoked any other supplier locally?

They're the DT distributor.  No need to add in extra middlemen.

R1200 for 2 ratchets is already extortion, DT should be selling their hubs with those ratchets as standard i.m.o. instead of ripping off their customers with this `upgrade`.

hahahahahaha

Welcome to the bike industry. That's a bit like saying a car should come with all mod cons standard.

If there is no room to upgrade, there is no customer longing for better. 54 tooth then becomes 'standard' and then people will bay for a 72 tooth 'upgrade'.

Also, it IS an upgrade. the 18 and 36 tooth ratchets work absolutely perfectly.

I'd wait till the 36T rings are worn then replace with 54T. can't see why anyone would replace perfectly functioning parts in a perfectly functioning hub.

hats like taking out well run in and smooth rolling bearings and replacing with new ceramics soema just

Won't tell you how to spend your money but there are better place to spend R1200

Depending on where in the world you buy it is a $65-$100 kit.

Going from 20Deg of engagement to 6.6Deg of engagement is a massive improvement.

Hubbers regularly blow more than R1k on a cassette to go from a 40 to a 46 11spd cassette, in stead of training more. So spending a similar amount on a ratchet upgrade is nothing.

it should also be said the 54T ratchet isn't nearly as durable as the 36T so there's that...

it becomes a regular "upgrade"

Does anyone here use the "special DT Swiss" ratchet grease? I would not believe that bike shops have a R200 pot of grease sitting there just for DT Swiss hubs?

it should also be said the 54T ratchet isn't nearly as durable as the 36T so there's that...

it becomes a regular "upgrade"

I don’t buy into that, and I suspect the people reporting ‘regular’ failures were running them dry or with limited lube to get it as loud as possible. Mine gets cleaned and lubed every few months and has no visible wear or chipping on the teeth.

If you enjoy technical riding it’s a very worthwhile upgrade, but I did upgrade from an 18t so much bigger difference than from 36t.

Does anyone here use the "special DT Swiss" ratchet grease? I would not believe that bike shops have a R200 pot of grease sitting there just for DT Swiss hubs?

I use a good quality white grease and add a drop of ptfe lube to thin it slightly. No issues to far and also used the same mix on my Hopes for 4 years.