When does an E-bike become economnical

Pure Savage

Hi Hubbers, 

Been doing a little math around an e-bike. 

This is a commuting e-bike for around R10k. It will be mostly be for the Mrs taking the kids to school or for me to ride to work. Its the type of ebike where you pedal and it activates motor and you can cruise at 35km/h without really pedaling so no need to shower. 

With the fuel price going up, was just wondering how to make it more viable and also try convince the Mrs about how safe riding the 3km to school and kids extra mural stuff will be.

Anyone with stories etc about e bike commutting?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hubbers, 

This is a commuting e-bike for around R10k. It will be mostly be for the Mrs taking the kids to school or for me to ride to work. Its the type of ebike where you pedal and it activates motor and you can cruise at 35km/h without really pedaling so no need to shower. 

With the fuel price going up, was just wondering how to make it more viable and also try convince the Mrs about how safe riding the 3km to school and kids extra mural stuff will be.

You're thinking of something along these lines? 

c65a6331.jpg

Hi Hubbers, 

Just wondering whether it's pedal-assist or not... Surely if not, it's motorised, and needs to be licensed? I'm not sure, hence the question

What auditing firm do you work for again?

Since when is R15.5k around 10k?

I've given this whole E-Bike commuting thing a lot of thought. I live in HB and work in Town but we don't have showers so arriving at my desk not bathed in sweat is difficult. I'd be keen on a well priced E-Bike myself but not that thing. I wouldn't be seen dead on that or any of the "cheaper" E-Bikes around at the moment.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Is she a confident cyclist? It could get pretty hairy if you have to load up the bike with some kids, all their school gear and then also navigate the local roads. 

Edited by Odinson

Just wondering whether it's pedal-assist or not... Surely if not, it's motorised, and needs to be licensed? I'm not sure, hence the question

Its "pedal assist" as only engages when pedals but when test riding it, its pedal to power ratio is like 1:20

Is she a confident cyclist? It could get pretty hairy if you have to load up the bike with some kids, all their school gear and then also navigate the local roads. 

Yeah, she can ride a bike, but I am not sure if she would be keen just yet. She does seem keen ish though as even suggested we went on a ride as a family for the first time ever yesterday

What auditing firm do you work for again?

Since when is R15.5k around 10k?

I've given this whole E-Bike commuting thing a lot of thought. I live in HB and work in Town but we don't have showers so arriving at my desk not bathed in sweat is difficult. I'd be keen on a well priced E-Bike myself but not that thing. I wouldn't be seen dead on that or any of the "cheaper" E-Bikes around at the moment.

There is one in Cape Town for R10k, didnt want to say where before someone from Hout Bay nabs it from under my nose!

Not sure about that model, I have done some E-bike commutes and I can tell you it would certainly be of benefit and worth it in the long run.

I have a 150cc motorbike that I use for commuting and that now costs me R140 per week travelling 60km a day.

The one nice thing about an ebike commuter is that you are still getting a workout yet not blowing before you get to work and spend the day playing catch up in terms of getting energy back in...

There is a youtube channel called buslifenz that has two ebikes they use. They mounted the kids seats to them somehow, may be worth a watch to see what they did...

Just trying to work out how to mount child seats to it and get Michelle Froome happy on the bike.

Trailer them behind

Dad_pulling_son_in_trailer.jpg

baby-bike-trailer-33920429.jpg

Edited by shaper

How viable is the intended route for your wife? Any dedicated cycling lanes she could use?