Texting and Driving, Do you do it? Why?

Quagga

Texting and Driving  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do it?

• I only text when I am stationary at traffic light, I know it is still illegal but I pay the fine and it has nothing to do with you.
    • I only use my phone when I need the GPS function, yes it illegal but I need to find my destination.
    • I text and drive, I have not killed anyone YET
    • I don’t touch my phone while driving, will stop to text or get GPS ready.
    • I text and drive, mind your own business
    • I only text when I am stationary at traffic light, I did NOT know it is still illegal and will re-consider
    • I only use my phone when I need the GPS function, I did NOT know it is still illegal and will re-consider

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting list of options ....

I have two scenarios :

1) Phone is in the man-bag in the back of the car, and I phone via the car radio.  NO texting !

2) I OFTEN use the phone as my GPS.  BUT - the address is typed in while in the office, or when stationary at a robot.  

QUESTION - is it legal to use a Garmin GPS while driving?  NOT typing on it, using it to show the way !  In the same manner, as long as you dont type while driving, why would it be illegal to use a phone as a GPS ?  When flying to a new city for business we typically use a window mount, then set up the phone-gps before starting the car.  With the real time updates, and alternative routes, estimated time of arival etc etc the phone-gps is just way better than my Garmin ....

Don't use the phone at all whilst driving winds the missus up proper " whats the use of having a phone if I cant get hold of you" she uses hers even if I'm passenger

Interesting list of options ....

I have two scenarios :

1) Phone is in the man-bag in the back of the car, and I phone via the car radio.  NO texting !

2) I OFTEN use the phone as my GPS.  BUT - the address is typed in while in the office, or when stationary at a robot.  Is illegal and you can get up to R1000 in W-cape

QUESTION - is it legal to use a Garmin GPS while driving?  NOT typing on it, using it to show the way ! No not at all as long as it mounted

In the same manner, as long as you dont type while driving, why would it be illegal to use a phone as a GPS ?  When flying to a new city for business we typically use a window mount, then set up the phone-gps before starting the car.  With the real time updates, and alternative routes, estimated time of arival etc etc the phone-gps is just way better than my Garmin ....

I've seen more than one driver weaving through traffic at 120+kmph typing on their phone or surfing the internet.

I have set up in my car a Bluetooth FM transmitter and phone mount on the dashboard. Use the ok Google function to call or get GPS.

Also have phone connected to my Garmin watch for notifications. Watch beeps and I can quickly glance to see the notification.

I have to admit I have used my phone before while driving. However I now set up Bluetooth and music on my phone as well as GPS before driving. Can also answer my phone by tapping my FM transmitter, without taking my eyes off the road.

I've seen more than one driver weaving through traffic at 120+kmph typing on their phone or surfing the internet.

I have set up in my car a Bluetooth FM transmitter and phone mount on the dashboard. Use the ok Google function to call or get GPS.

Also have phone connected to my Garmin watch for notifications. Watch beeps and I can quickly glance to see the notification.

I have to admit I have used my phone before while driving. However I now set up Bluetooth and music on my phone as well as GPS before driving. Can also answer my phone by tapping my FM transmitter, without taking my eyes off the road.

That's pretty much what I do. 

One of the riders in the tdf is busy texting while in the peloton right now.

Dan from Nam was doing it during the a ITT, how skilled is that!

that's a fact. Kids demand attention. My wife drives with her rear view mirror positioned so she can see the childseat not the road behind her! Drives me nuts!

I always drive with the childseat behind the passenger seat not the drivers seat. That way when I check my blind spots I can make quick eye contact with the little one in the kiddies seat. win-win

get her and extra mirror from one of those baby shops.

I ride a Motorbike from Roodepoort to Sandton everyday and i see the azzholes on their phone weaving around their lanes, drifting over the center lines...

When calling them out you mostly get the finger or from the entitled lot a look of contempt and they continue texting.

They also give a lot of abuse and tell you to mind your own business and whats it got to do with you ... "Hey azzhole i also share this road with you and your weaving over your lane is dangerous to me"

Don't use the phone at all whilst driving winds the missus up proper " whats the use of having a phone if I cant get hold of you" she uses hers even if I'm passenger

I think you should bin your missus.