Tire tight on rim?

scubes

Hi guys I searched the forums but could not find an answer to this dilemma I now have:

The tires I put on my rims last time I put tires on, I really battled to get them on (Rapide 27.5 rims internal width 27mm). Seating them once on was fine. To get them off is another battle so I top up sealant through the valve which is fine and I can hear the sealant sloshing around in the tire so I know to topup when I no longer hear that.

However are there any workable tips to get a tight tire on/off a wide-ish rim? I don't have special tools just the usual tire levers etc. It would be nice to be able to get them on/off and clean the tires out every so often. 

Also on the trail if I get a sidewall cut, that sealant won't seal- there is no way I can put in a tube (so I no longer carry a spare tube) as I know if I can't get the tire on/off at home without battling for hours then there is no way I'd be able to on the trail.....

What tyres are you using? 

There's a bunch of different techniques you can use - just head to YouTube. 

One trick is to give yourself some slack when removing a tight tyre. Do that by breaking the bead on both sides and then sliding the beads into the center of the rim, which is usually deeper than the beads. Then grab a section of the bead and start working that loose from the rim. 

Never tried that before.. I can give that a try...I usually try pry them off the rim... but yeah I see what you mean.. in the middle of the rim will give a wee bit of slack....

I'm currently using Spez Purgatory 2.3 tires Grid (not the new Gripton ones)

One trick is to give yourself some slack when removing a tight tyre. Do that by breaking the bead on both sides and then sliding the beads into the center of the rim, which is usually deeper than the beads. Then grab a section of the bead and start working that loose from the rim. 

Never tried that before.. I can give that a try...I usually try pry them off the rim... but yeah I see what you mean.. in the middle of the rim will give a wee bit of slack....

I'm currently using Spez Purgatory 2.3 tires Grid (not the new Gripton ones)

100% - the centreline of the rim usually sits a little lower than the outer edge. slip the beads into the middle of the rim and you'll have all the slack you need.

There are also levers and leavers.  Get the the first type - heavy duty plastic ones like Crowbar or similar - don't be tempted with steel, steel coated plastic or any weight weenie versions.

There are also levers and leavers.  Get the the first type - heavy duty plastic ones like Crowbar or similar - don't be tempted with steel, steel coated plastic or any weight weenie versions.

Had similar issues getting tires on too, so learnt this lesson and now make sure I pry them on at the valve so the rest of the tire can slot into the middle of the rim to provide more slack. Works.

Hi guys I searched the forums but could not find an answer to this dilemma I now have:

The tires I put on my rims last time I put tires on, I really battled to get them on (Rapide 27.5 rims internal width 27mm). Seating them once on was fine. To get them off is another battle so I top up sealant through the valve which is fine and I can hear the sealant sloshing around in the tire so I know to topup when I no longer hear that.

However are there any workable tips to get a tight tire on/off a wide-ish rim? I don't have special tools just the usual tire levers etc. It would be nice to be able to get them on/off and clean the tires out every so often. 

Also on the trail if I get a sidewall cut, that sealant won't seal- there is no way I can put in a tube (so I no longer carry a spare tube) as I know if I can't get the tire on/off at home without battling for hours then there is no way I'd be able to on the trail.....

I had the same issue with Saguro / Crest combo.  Battled to get them on.  Even broke a pair of Parktool levers and they are pretty tough.

The tyres were bullet proof - never had an issue.  But I eventually changed them to Racing Ralphs out of fear of being caught out on the trail and not been able to fix a cut etc.  The racing Ralphs I can put on almost just by hand - go figure.

One trick I did use was to leave the Saguros in the sun for 30 min or so before fitting.  This made them a little more pliable and they expanded a touch.  Worked for me...

I had the same issue with Saguro / Crest combo. Battled to get them on. Even broke a pair of Parktool levers and they are pretty tough.

The tyres were bullet proof - never had an issue. But I eventually changed them to Racing Ralphs out of fear of being caught out on the trail and not been able to fix a cut etc. The racing Ralphs I can put on almost just by hand - go figure.

One trick I did use was to leave the Saguros in the sun for 30 min or so before fitting. This made them a little more pliable and they expanded a touch. Worked for me...

The sun trick helped me too. Still ended up with 2 blistered thumbs though but i eventually got it on.

I eventually decided to get other tires though as the risk of struggling while on a ride didn't appeal to me..new tires slips right on ????

What rim tape are you using?

I've seen wheels with 3 layers of gorilla tape on them, which would make getting a tyre on and off pretty tough. Stans tape, overlapped 2 spoke holes either side of the valve hole. Job done.

hmm.. yeah maybe.. I put the rim tape on myself and did a damn good job lol ie maybe one layer too many... I gotta get these tires off somehow and redo the whole tubeless job properly with one layer as you say....thanks...

What rim tape are you using?

I've seen wheels with 3 layers of gorilla tape on them, which would make getting a tyre on and off pretty tough. Stans tape, overlapped 2 spoke holes either side of the valve hole. Job done.

GRID tyres have been known to be a bit tight, but they're not on my impossible-to-get-on-with-my-thumbs list.

Try getting a WTB onto a Stans Flow. Then you'll have a good basis for comparison.

GRID tyres have been known to be a bit tight, but they're not on my impossible-to-get-on-with-my-thumbs list.

Try getting a WTB onto a Stans Flow. Then you'll have a good basis for comparison.

Only a masochist would run that combo. 

Only a masochist would run that combo. 

The combo was listed as incompatible for the EX series Stans rims...