Garmin 735xt swimming lap inaccuracies

Dullscalpel

Hi guys,

I recently got the 735xt and I absolutely love it (so don't try tell me to get the Fenix ????). I have noticed lap count inconsistencies when training in a pool. I have looked online and everyone else seems to have a problem with the Garmin missing laps. My watch does the opposite, it gives me extra laps. As awesome as that is, I would like to be able stop mentally counting my laps when I train. I have noticed that when I rest between sets, and adjust my cap for example, an extra 25m is added to my distance. Any ideas or suggestions for a fix?

But realistically, do I want to press buttons when I am focusing on my training?

He means when you take a rest you push the lap button and it goes into "rest" mode and doesn't count laps until you push the lap button again to go back into swimming mode.

This seems like a problem that could have been easily solved by applying a bit of RTFM.

Edited by Jehosefat

He means when you take a rest you push the lap button and it goes into "rest" mode and doesn't count laps until you push the lap button again to go back into swimming mode.

This seems like a problem that could have been easily solved by applying a bit of RTFM.

Ok, thanks for the clarification about the lap button. It also happens if I adjust my goggles while pushing off (I get 2 laps instead of 1), so not technically a case of RTFM...

Maybe you should get a Tom Tom ????????????????????????????????????????????????

I have the 935 and it too gives me extra laps - sometimes for no apparent reason at all. I think it's because I'm a pretty poor swimmer.

It doesn't only do it when resting - sometimes I'll finish a lap and glance at my watch and see that it gave me 2 laps for the price of one. Plays havoc with average times etcetera.

If I swim clean sets it's always been accurate for me. But if I adjust my goggles mid lap or stop to make double sure I didn't just see a frog it's guaranteed bonus laps.

As others have said, when you finish a set and rest hit the lap button, when you start the next set hit the lap button again to start recording, until you finish.

Alternatively hit the start/stop button, it will then ask you to resume, which you can do when you hit the start/stop button again.

For those who get misreading, either loosing 25m or gaining an extra 25m when swimming, you can edit the garmin fit file here http://swimmingwatchtools.com/upload

Upload the file, then use the tools to split or merge laps and then you will be able to download the corrected fit file which you can then replace or garmin connect/strava or whatever you like to save a record on.

I have the 935 and it too gives me extra laps - sometimes for no apparent reason at all. I think it's because I'm a pretty poor swimmer.

It doesn't only do it when resting - sometimes I'll finish a lap and glance at my watch and see that it gave me 2 laps for the price of one. Plays havoc with average times etcetera.

I've also got the 935 and the only time I get extra laps is when I stop before getting to the end of the pool and start swimming again. Occasionally it misses a lap if I don't push off the wall hard enough as well.

As others have said, when you finish a set and rest hit the lap button, when you start the next set hit the lap button again to start recording, until you finish.

Alternatively hit the start/stop button, it will then ask you to resume, which you can do when you hit the start/stop button again.

For those who get misreading, either loosing 25m or gaining an extra 25m when swimming, you can edit the garmin fit file here http://swimmingwatchtools.com/upload

Upload the file, then use the tools to split or merge laps and then you will be able to download the corrected fit file which you can then replace or garmin connect/strava or whatever you like to save a record on.

Thanks for this! Will discovery accept the edited versions? I know they can be a pain in the butt ????

Thanks for this! Will discovery accept the edited versions? I know they can be a pain in the butt

I edited a bike and discovery didn't accept it.  As far as I know as soon as a file is uploaded it's not accepted by Discovery  :thumbdown:

Thanks for this! Will discovery accept the edited versions? I know they can be a pain in the butt

You swimming with a HRM?  If not you will only get 100pts for speedwork..... and you get those 100pts points for swiping going into the gym anyway... so unless you are using a HRM you don't get more than 100pts.

Save and upload the workout to garmin, it will sync to Discovery.  If you record your workouts on other platform (trainingpeaks/goldencheetah/spreadsheet), then you can edit the file so you get accurate info for your own use.