GX Eagle Rear Derailleur Shifting Problems?

Suidwes Boytjie

Morning

I'd like to know if anyone else have also experienced shifting issues with the GX Eagle Rear Derailleur.

Have heard from a couple of people that the GX have some issues (apparently something to do with the spring?) and once changed to a XO derailleur, problems solved.

Thanks

It shouldn't be the mech. Eagle is super sensitive to alignment issues. Thus, if your drivetrain isn't properly indexed or the mech hanger is bent even a fraction, it's going to lead to shifting issues. 

Gonna suggest havin that hanger checked too.

It shouldn't be the mech. Eagle is super sensitive to alignment issues. Thus, if your drivetrain isn't properly indexed or the mech hanger is bent even a fraction, it's going to lead to shifting issues. 

Another issue I came across is make sure the chain line is correct otherwise you will also encounter shifting problems. As said before the Eagle is very sensitive and everything must be aligned correctly for it to work 100%

I, unfortunately live in Gansbaai, far from everyone and everything. Where in Cape Town can i have the alignment checked to make sure nothing is bend or is it something that i can check myself? Tool required? 

I, unfortunately live in Gansbaai, far from everyone and everything. Where in Cape Town can i have the alignment checked to make sure nothing is bend or is it something that i can check myself? Tool required? 

You can do it - and you need the tool that comes with it to check distance from the cluster (b screw tension) - youtube will help you more than me typing - it's a bit long winded till you get the hang of it, but it's very quick with some practice. There are instructions on srams's site too.

One thing to check - check that the 2 cogs in the derailleur do not have loose attachments with more play than they should have - mine broke out a bit of the side plate where the pin threads in on the top cog during a race - but it shifted poorly before that.

Edited by V12man

Myself and another mate both had issues with our first GX derailleurs, tried multiple hangers to solve it to no avail.

Eventually changed the derailleur in desperation for a new one on stage 3 of Epic which solved the problem entirely.

My LBS returned the old derailleur to the supplier for a full refund. They had also made other such returns, XO affected too from what i'm told.

What exactly is the shifting issue? 

I feel your pain!

After seven bike shops tried, a new cable and housing every time, and still my GX would not shift properly.

Eventually bought a new hanger for my Giant Anthem and new derailleur but still have shifting hassles.

I took the SRAM chainring off and after careful checking with the guys at Lyne, bought the correct oval chainring for my bike.

It still has shifting hassles!

Good luck! 

What exactly is the shifting issue? 

Well, when i shift (up or down) in some of the cogs of the cassette it doesn't want to move up or down... you have to press the shifter again for it to shift up or down.

https://www.euodia.co.za/

they're in Hermanus

Well, when i shift (up or down) in some of the cogs of the cassette it doesn't want to move up or down... you have to press the shifter again for it to shift up or down.

sounds like the cable is snagging somewhere or the housing end caps are not fitted square to the cable outer housing resulting in some compression of the housing when you press the trigger shift levers

I feel all your pain!  :mellow:

As much as I liked Eagle I got sick and tired of having issues with the rear derailleur/cassette not changing properly. Found it especially problematic on longer dusty rides. Changing would always seem to be "working" at the start of the ride but as you picked up more dirt it always seemed to start causing issues. All my riding friends who have Eagle have the same issues.

The best fix I have found - I went back to Shimano XT. I ride 2x and I am absolutely loving it. :D  Another riding buddy also went back but he has gone for Di2 and also loving it! Wishing I also went Di2 after taking his bike for a test run - the gear changes on the Di2 are seemless!

I feel all your pain!  :mellow:

As much as I liked Eagle I got sick and tired of having issues with the rear derailleur/cassette not changing properly. Found it especially problematic on longer dusty rides. Changing would always seem to be "working" at the start of the ride but as you picked up more dirt it always seemed to start causing issues. All my riding friends who have Eagle have the same issues.

The best fix I have found - I went back to Shimano XT. I ride 2x and I am absolutely loving it. :D  Another riding buddy also went back but he has gone for Di2 and also loving it! Wishing I also went Di2 after taking his bike for a test run - the gear changes on the Di2 are seemless!

It really is funny how after a while on the new non-shitmano stuff everyone goes back to XT and all their problems go away.

The concept is nice on all the new tech but in the practical real world where things wear and tear and get dirty it is not all rainbows.

2x11 or 2x10 Shimano - and they rode happily ever after - the end.