Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys:

Just some questions around rules of racing in the Epic (I have no clue about these things):

1) Avancini said something about Scott Sram got help from their back up team's back up team. What help can Pro's receive and from whom?

2) Looks to me that Annika and Anna was sitting behind Team Summit for most of yesterday (did no work) and then just shot past in the end. Is that how it is done or do the teams work together and then go for broke at the end. Looks to me that is what happened with Kross and Pyga, they worked together and then went for a sprint. Would love to know what us the unwritten rules about these tactics.

Thanks

Hi Guys:

Just some questions around rules of racing in the Epic (I have no clue about these things):

1) Avancini said something about Scott Sram got help from their back up team's back up team. What help can Pro's receive and from whom?

2) Looks to me that Annika and Anna was sitting behind Team Summit for most of yesterday (did no work) and then just shot past in the end. Is that how it is done or do the teams work together and then go for broke at the end. Looks to me that is what happened with Kross and Pyga, they worked together and then went for a sprint. Would love to know what us the unwritten rules about these tactics.

Thanks

2) Summit ladies only caught them in in the last 10km or so.

Annika and Anna then let them do all the work to the end and had too much power going to the line. Solid tactics in my humble opinion

Hi Guys:

Any competitor can receive assistance from another competitor during the race. Outside assistance is not allowed, i.e. a competitor is not allowed to take a bike or wheel or any component or tool from a non competitor. I think Avancini was wanting clarity on whether Andri Frischnecht was allowed to provide assistance to the main team when he had dropped his team mate by more than 2 minutes. Its a legit question because they could have been viewed as a team of three members. Probably something for the rule makers to clarify going forward. IMO its ok and no foul play

answered by Escapee..

Thanks

Hi Guys:

Any competitor can receive assistance from another competitor during the race. Outside assistance is not allowed, i.e. a competitor is not allowed to take a bike or wheel or any component or tool from a non competitor. I think Avancini was wanting clarity on whether Andri Frischnecht was allowed to provide assistance to the main team when he had dropped his team mate by more than 2 minutes. Its a legit question because they could have been viewed as a team of three members. Probably something for the rule makers to clarify going forward. IMO its ok and no foul play

answered by Escapee..

Thanks

2) Summit ladies only caught them in in the last 10km or so.

Annika and Anna then let them do all the work to the end and had too much power going to the line. Solid tactics in my humble opinion

Shot, thanks for the answers.

I did an update of GC positions for our riders since 2006.

I have only included names of guys from top5 and up.

Could also probably indicate which riders were performing in a backup role for their main team, but ain't nobody got time for none of dat.

post-1830-0-16565000-1553507223_thumb.png

Or as per contract or info requested by Spez they asked him to be please be there due to media and the likes showing support to the team and riders.

If that is the case, a better move would have been to appear in his Spesh tracksuit and takkies, not full racing kit. I find that quite bizarre. Maybe he is still a bit dazed :-) 

If that is the case, a better move would have been to appear in his Spesh tracksuit and takkies, not full racing kit. I find that quite bizarre. Maybe he is still a bit dazed :-) 

they had a team photo shoot after the ladies finished and cleaned up. All the riders were in riding gear since all the sponsors names and logos are displayed  on the racing kit.

Same reason why they wear their racing jersey's to the podium ceremony every night.

the guy may be a snowflake but he's not unprofessional

Wondering how long to wait for the race report from Oliver Munnik and how it went on his hard tail..

Wondering how long to wait for the race report from Oliver Munnik and how it went on his hard tail..

I was super impressed . It looked like they achieved their objective of demonstrating that  #itsnotaboutthebike

For a cool R18,000 anyone can ride the absaCapeEpic..... how to raise the other 88,900 reasons is a bit more challenging

PS: do they deliberately make the divide by 2 math difficult or is there a legitimate reason for the 88900?? Maybe it makes it easier for those paying cash as its only 222 orange ones with a pinky in the mix

Edited by DieselnDust

I was super impressed . It looked like they achieved their objective of demonstrating that  #itsnotaboutthebike

For a cool R18,000 anyone can ride the absaCapeEpic..... how to raise the other 88,900 reasons is a bit more challenging

PS: do they deliberatley make the divide by 2 mahts difficult of is there a legitimate reason for the 88900?? Maybe it makes it easier for those paying cash as its only 222 orange ones with a pinky in the mix

Exactly. If your ass is tough enough, which it should be if you do some proper training, then a hard tail, perhaps with a dropper post to vary the seat height a bit for comfort in the rough and on tech descents, could be the perfect bike.

I was super impressed . It looked like they achieved their objective of demonstrating that #itsnotaboutthebike

PS: do they deliberately make the divide by 2 math difficult or is there a legitimate reason for the 88900?? Maybe it makes it easier for those paying cash as its only 222 orange ones with a pinky in the mix

But let's be honest, those bikes were not 18k. They had XO1 Eagle groupos, and cSixx carbon rims and cockpits... doesn't make it any less of a hardtail or take away from their achievement - but I'm all about calling a spade a spade.

Am I wrong on the spec maybe?

Edit: my bad. Went to look at the pics now and it does look like GX Eagle, and the alu wheelset...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

But let's be honest, those bikes were not 18k. They had XO1 Eagle groupos, and cSixx carbon rims and cockpits... doesn't make it any less of a hardtail or take away from their achievement - but I'm all about calling a spade a spade.

Am I wrong on the spec maybe?

Edit: my bad. Went to look at the pics now and it does look like GX Eagle, and the alu wheelset...

Yes, but Ollie have almost no meat on those bones of him. Doubt he has any parts that can get bruised from 8 days on a HT.

Yes, but Ollie have almost no meat on those bones of him. Doubt he has any parts that can get bruised from 8 days on a HT.

Ja, riding an HT is a type of fitness on it's own. My dual suspension bike is currently out of action for warranty reasons leaving me with only a HT (steel with 2.8 tyres) that I ride 3-4hours per week at the moment and I am counting the days till I have squish on the rear again - everything hurts the day after a long ride on a fairly comfortable HT - I don't know how anyone can take that beating for an Epic.