Touring Joburg to Durban

Clamper

Having done it, solo, I'd suggest bringing the daily mileage down (100-120km max) so you can appreciate the journey. Aslo then moderate fitness required only.

digging up an old thread. Have always had thoughts of doing a tour like this. Have also been watching Trans Siberia tour whilst on the IDT and it prompted me to ask the question.

Aside from the logistics, which seems to me that if you're willing to join a group it can mostly be done for you, how does one go about preparing for this ?

I doubt that a weekend warrior doing 200-300km a month can just jump on a bike and do 100-200km a day for 3 to 4 days.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having done it, solo, I'd suggest bringing the daily mileage down (100-120km max) so you can appreciate the journey. Aslo then moderate fitness required only.

at first I was thinking Solo, but after reading through this thread maybe a companion or few might just help on the less exciting stretches.

But I have plenty time to decide, it not like I'm going to do this in the next 12-24 months.

Yip horses for courses. Maybe try an overnight tour with mates and/or solo to test the water?

For me very long days in the saddle are more about cycling, which can be satisfying. But shorter days can also more be about the journey and the stops in between. Piece all that together in a tour and it's tremendous fun.

at first I was thinking Solo, but after reading through this thread maybe a companion or few might just help on the less exciting stretches.

But I have plenty time to decide, it not like I'm going to do this in the next 12-24 months.

Yip horses for courses. Maybe try an overnight tour with mates and/or solo to test the water?

For me very long days in the saddle are more about cycling, which can be satisfying. But shorter days can also more be about the journey and the stops in between. Piece all that together in a tour and it's tremendous fun.

I get you. I'm a solitary person, love riding on my own.

The biggest thing I find on a group tour is that some people’s ego are more important than common sense - which prevents them voluntarily getting into the following car. One person wants to ride the full distance at the risk of holding everyone else up.

Is it stubbornness or ego?

Some days people have a bad legs day. Accept it, and call it a day. It happens to a lot of people, and they need to bury the stubbornness/ego and build that bridge.

Other than that, LSD rides, are cool.

Ouzo et al, I am thinking about doing eg Bethlehem - Caledons' Poort - Afriski - Sani - Ixopo - Amanzimtoti at a stage (not this year) as a (semi) supported ride.

Maybe like-minded riders who are interested / have done it can collate and collaborate on this.

Edited by Pieter-za

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely doable. My mates and I have done it on two occasions. The first time was in 2016 when we were in varsity. We did more or less 100km a day and we were definitely not even weekend warriors. You should give it a try.. An amazing experience.

• 8 months later...

Solo? Respect. 

I've been told there is a JHB-DBN record held by Gary Beneke? Is that true? Is there a record?

Plenty of okes on the Hub who have done solo tours...a bit of prep is all that's required.

Wouldn't know about a record...

Solo? Respect.

I've been told there is a JHB-DBN record held by Gary Beneke? Is that true? Is there a record?

We have put together a team mainly from Cycle Lab in Fourways. We leave on the Wednesday prior to the race

Day 1 - Parys to Reitz

Day 2 - Reitz to Winterton via Kestell and Oliviershoek Pass

Day 3 - Winterton to Nottingham Road

Day 4 - Notties to Midmar and back via the Mandela Capture Site - recovery ride

Day 5 - Amashova

Do not attempt this ride without a vehicle and trailer that is capable of carrying all of you. Last year we rode into the most awful storm outside Mooi River that made conditions treacherous. There have been reports of hail storms and 70 km/h winds. Cater for the worst conditions and you'll be fine.

It is one of the best adventures of my life. If anyone finds the road past Sterkfontein to the Border Post and down Oliviershoek Pass boring, then I'm happy to be bored...

Does anyone know if the Oliviershoek Pass road has been repaired?

Does anyone know if the Oliviershoek Pass road has been repaired?

Yes the R74 is fine bar the odd pothole here and there.  

Drove it twice in Dec 20 and encountered quite a few cyclists (and their support vehicles) on the road.

• 1 year later...

Any one know safest route back from Durban to Pietermaritzburg. Want to cycle back next day after Amashova.